Getting started with a CB setup

Jesse42

I am heading out on my first group exploring trip in a few weeks and most folks in the group run a CB in their vehicle. I would like to be able to listed to the chatter and also participate, but I have no CB knowledge. I have done some research and most of what I have found is about much more complex systems that what I am hoping to find. With that said, is there a simple cost effective CB setup I can run in my truck for this trip that I take out and put back in for future trips. I am not looking for a ton of range, just enough to stay in touch with a group that is driving together.

My apologies for the basic question. I assume it has been covered before, but I can not seem to find it searching through the archives.

Thanks,
- Jesse

prerunner1982

Adventurer
A cheap Cobra 19 would work fine for you. Magmount antenna is fine. You could even power the CB off the lighter/power port, if you get whine on the CB that changes with the rpm of the engine you may want to wire the CB directly to the battery. I have had some vehicles that do and some that don't when the CB is powered off the lighter/power port. Temporary install easily removed, until you decide if you want a more permanent solution.

Jesse42

Thanks for the feedback.

I suspect this is a loaded question, but how important is the tuning process? Can I get away with buying a magnetic antenna and throwing it on my roof for now? It looks like yet another device (or a much more expensive CB) if I need to get an SWR meter.

- Jesse

ericvs

Def want to tune it. If your friends have CBs they most likely have the SWR meter that is needed. You can also get these for like $25 or so. Should only take a couple minutes to tune it right. it is very easy.

https://youtu.be/YwFPKIjweP8

Longer antennas are easier to tune then shorter ones.

I'd get a tunable tip fiberglass antenna and a seperate mag base. You can get the mag base from MFJ. You can get a flexible antenna if you are going to be in the forest.

https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-335BT (base with attached coax)
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/FL3-FL4.htm (antenna, 4ft easier to tune then 3 ft, 3ft easier to tune then 2ft)

You can buy both on Amazon

If you are doing complex trails then seriously consider bolting everything down in the cabin. You don't want a radio rolling around and potentially hitting you.

All antennas are made of two half push/pulling on the electrons in the air. In the case of a cb whip, half the antenna is the whip, the other half is the metal of your vehicle. This is why they can't tune the antenna at the factory: they don't have your vehicle. An antenna that is out of resonance will reflect the radio energy back into the radio and overheat (and melt potentially) the power transistors in your radio. Keying up for less then a second on a antenna that is out of resonance isn't going to break your modern cb, but don't talk on a CB until it's tuned.

Last edited:

v_man

Explorer
Might as well install an eight track tape player in your truck while you're at it. CB is pointless when you can easily get into ham...

Matt.H

Adventurer
Truckers rarely use a CB anymore time to step up to HAM.

Might as well install an eight track tape player in your truck while you're at it. CB is pointless when you can easily get into ham...

But that isn't what he asked about. He wants it for when he is on the trail with friends.

The other popular handheld unit is the Cobra 75wxst and having used it I can recommend it.

Also, as stated above, the longer the antenna the easier.

Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST...rd_wg=TIkUK&psc=1&refRID=F51VPTM6TX79V2N24N31

Jesse42

Thanks for all the guidance. I am going to pickup one of the portable units and give it a try with the short built in antenna before the trip. If that works, it will be the least complex option. Based on the feedback, I suspect I will need to add a magnetic mounted antenna on the roof for the trip.

HAM may be newer and better, but when the group is running CB, it won't help me much. I don't have any plans to listen to an 8 track, but I do enjoy vinyl for what it's worth. :)

Jesse42

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. I picked up the Midland 75-822 portable unit. I am going to try it out and see how it goes.

Thanks,
- Jesse

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
I run the Midland 75-822 on a Laird CB27 whip, along with an FTM-400DR on my rig. It's a great CB radio. The only downsides of the radio are that the button illumination feature has no "permanently on" setting and it doesn't have a built-in SWR meter. But it makes up for it by being compact and somewhat idiot-proof.

The last time I was at the Cove wheeling, all chatter was on CB. At least here on the east coast, it seems that CB is alive and well, just because people run trails all the time with their buddies and CB is simple and gets the job done without licensing requirements. You can also search all 40 channels for simplex chatter. Range is sufficient to get to the lead truck and back (and often farther) depending on terrain.

You made a good decision, now just make sure all your friends get CBs too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles