1980 240GD Import

Blong7

I found a beautiful 240GD to import from the Netherlands to the US. It is rust free, and well maintained. I'm in love with it, but think I may be getting ahead of myself as this car would be my first venture into an import and it would be my day to day car. Also, I have future plans of cross-country expeditions. So I have a couple of questions:

- How would this Gelandewagen perform through all of that use?
- How hard are parts for it to find?
- Will it be able to keep up with traffic on motorways?
- How long can I expect it to last if I am getting it with 94,xxx miles on it?

I hope these answers are easy to come by, and thank you to those with the friendly advice!

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
You will find it to be GROSSLY under powered. A cross country trip would seem unendable. Parts are available, but are getting scarce to nla for some items. I would not want it for a daily driver. And, no, you would not be able to keep up with traffic on expressways.

Also, a G that old from the Netherlands will have lots of visible or hidden rust. The road salt eats these old G's up.

Last edited:

Blong7

Thanks for the advice. I figured it was too good to be true. Do you think I would be better off with a 1983 300GD?

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Thanks for the advice. I figured it was too good to be true. Do you think I would be better off with a 1983 300GD?

Probably not for the uses listed in your OP. It's only a minimally marginal improvement over the 240GD.

Last edited:
The older G have their own personality. But they are a aquired taste in regards to performance and driving comfort.
I get that it is human nature to want, what you can't have, and so many Americans have a desire for a diesel G.
But you have a good supply of soccer mom driven G500 that is reasonable priced (compared to the rest of the world) and you have cheap gas too.
Why not take advantage of that supply of comfortable, not abused, rust free and quite fast vehicles?

In the choice between a G500 and a import from europe that we would not run here... You pay the price at the gas station or at the parts counter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles