Cooper STT Pro for my LR3

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I just pulled the trigger today and am making the switch from the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/kevlar (which I've been running for the last 4 years) to the Cooper STT Pro. Both brands are in 275/65/18 size. The Goodyear's are only C rated so caused mucho problems with sidewall flex and the destruction of 5 perfectly good rims as shown in the picture (although I've been running with them like this for years as they hold air). I'm hoping the Cooper's E rating and stiffer sidewalls will help protect the rims a little better when aired down as well as give better sidewall puncture resistance. (see story below)
OLD TIRE - Goodyear MT/R
gdyvm3.ang.l.jpg
IMG_2735.jpg

NEW TIRE - Cooper STT Pro (Getting installed this weekend)
copvm1.ang.l.jpg

Over the weekend I managed to slash the sidewalls on not one, but Two tires (which were brand new as of last month - July). I have hazard warranty so I took this opportunity to get into some new tires and think $588 for 5 new Coopers installed with warranties is a pretty good deal considering they're $300ea. Last Saturday while off-roading in an area with sharp rocks I punctured a sidewall on my LR tire and put on my spare tire. Sunday I went out on an "easy" trail and in less than 10 minutes I managed to clip a rock and put a major slash in my RR tire.

Now I've got no working spare so what does one do?!?!!? Besides dropping the F-bomb 20+ times while my wife talks of calling a tow truck, I attempted to plug the least damaged sidewall (from Saturday) and with only 2 plugs in the sidewall, the tire managed to hold air. I mounted it on the truck to put weight on it, still holding air, then started to drive over 200 miles home. Checked the pressure at a stop on the way and it was up (due to heat - good sign). Today the tire is still holding and hasn't lost a single PSI all week long. I feel so lucky that the repair worked knowing there is such a low probability of success. Can I just say how much I LOVE my ARB tire repair kit!!!

This gash too big for repair.
20170817_115318_resized.jpg
Managed to plug the sidewall puncture in my other tire with 2 plugs and holding air after 200+ miles
20170813_130646_resized.jpg

I'm still back and forth on STT-Pro or BFG KM2. Out of curiousity, what made you make your decision on the Cooper? Not questioning anymore than your logic as to help me make my decision.

Thanks in advance,

E

morrisdl

Adventurer
Tell me more about this warenty! I blew up two brand new GY Duratracs sidewalls on the last trip. Goodyear & Walmart did nothing for me.

Next set for me is also STT-Pro OR BFG KM2 so following closely....

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I'm still back and forth on STT-Pro or BFG KM2. Out of curiousity, what made you make your decision on the Cooper? Not questioning anymore than your logic as to help me make my decision.

Thanks in advance,

E

My criteria was to get a tire the same size as I have now for off-roading 275/65/18, be a mud terrain tire, have E load rating and good reviews. The Cooper Discoverer STT Pro hits all of those. Granted there are many, many other great choices it came down to size, and aggressive tread. The Goodyear MT/R is all I've known since I've owned my LR3 (except for my "winter tires" which are Nitto Terra Grapplers on 20" rims).

I'll keep you all posted on how I like the Coopers and how they ride. Hopefully the sidewalls will be beefier and more robust.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
Tell me more about this warenty! I blew up two brand new GY Duratracs sidewalls on the last trip. Goodyear & Walmart did nothing for me.

Next set for me is also STT-Pro OR BFG KM2 so following closely....

Discount Tire has a great hazard protection plan which, I think for my tires, comes out to about $45 per tire. I've replaced every tire (except my spare) over 4 years using the plan due to "torque cracking" twice (tread blocks pulling apart), and 3 times for sidewall cuts. I always replaced tires in pairs to keep tread wear even. They prorate out the good tire on the matching pair so I may end up paying $300 for a pair of $666 tires with warranty. Check it out if you have access to Discount Tire. Hell, I believe you can even buy tires elsewhere and go there and buy a hazard plan for them when they're new. They really take good care of their customers, at least here in Minneapolis.

Discount Tire has a great hazard protection plan which, I think for my tires, comes out to about $45 per tire. I've replaced every tire (except my spare) over 4 years using the plan due to "torque cracking" twice (tread blocks pulling apart), and 3 times for sidewall cuts. I always replaced tires in pairs to keep tread wear even. They prorate out the good tire on the matching pair so I may end up paying $300 for a pair of $666 tires with warranty. Check it out if you have access to Discount Tire. Hell, I believe you can even buy tires elsewhere and go there and buy a hazard plan for them when they're new. They really take good care of their customers, at least here in Minneapolis.

Good info. I'm on the mainland now so after I get the suspension refresh done and the V6 brakes installed I'll probably be running a bit more on 18's until I pull the trigger on what MT will go on the 17" euro wheels.

I've always been back and forth on the BFG and Cooper. Can't say there is a better tire than BFG all around with their years of history but the Cooper STT Pro Is an epic tire from what I have seen and read about. Not to mention their cost is much nicer too. Lol

I think you are gonna be stoked on those and I look forward to the reviews you have coming.

johnnydal

I've had Cooper at3's on mine for about 20k miles now. Haven't had a single issue. Ride is nice and quiet, 55k mile warranty and they've tackled everything I've thrown at them. Seriously debating the stt pro's for my next go round.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
I'm running STT pros in 275/70-18, E load, on my LR3. Almost 2 years in and I'm seeing some pretty good chunkier on the outer tread blocks. In fact on my last outing I tore a complete tread block off down to the cords (!). Almost 15k on them and plenty of tread depth, but I'm now wondering if I replace with the same or maybe try the new yokohama G003 which is cheaper but a touch smaller for the same size.

Performance has been good in all but snow, and it may be that any tire will chunk like this. Decisions decisions.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
New boots are here

My new tires arrived today so I drove up to Discount Tire and had the new Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's installed. Since most of my rims are so far gone I donated my last 3 good rims (for the record I have 9 matching rims and 6 of them have damage). Even though the rims were rough, they always held air and have never caused me any problems either on the highway or in the dirt.

Here's a couple shots of the new boots. Truck is at standard height and I have 50mm wheel spacers.
20170822_184939.jpg20170822_185003.jpg
I've only put on about 10 highway miles and don't have much to report other than there's the typical road noise (different pitch than the GY MT/R's), and feel a little stiffer/firm. I won't be off-roading for a while (too busy), so I won't have a rock/dirt/mud report to share for another month or so.

Here is what the edges of 6 of my rims look like (either missing metal edges, or bent metal edges).
20170822_185540.jpg

ExploringNH

Explorer
I run 37" Cooper STT Pro's and I love them. They have been to Rausch Creek and to many other off-road adventures and they have held up great, don't stop me from making any obstacles and have warn incredibly well for such a rugged tire. I get my tires through NTB and I always buy the service plan, I get unlimited, rotations and balancing and I paid for the 3 year alignment plan as well so unlimited alignments for 3 years. Additionally the service plan covers road hazards, which I have used a few times, 1 time I got a free replacement and another time it cost me $50 to have a $300+ tire replaced. Well worth it.

zelatore

Explorer
DiscoNels, what sort of pressures do you run to get that kind of wheel damage?

I've found the weight of the LR3 combined with the short sidewalls means I can't run much under 25 psi in the rocks or I squash the sidewalls right down to the bead. I've gouged up my wheels a lot but haven't broken one like that. The only time I run lower pressures is in snow or sand when rocks aren't a threat and I'm looking for maximum floatation to stay on the surface (a lost cause with an LR3, but ya gotta try)

My D1 is on 35x12.15-15 MT/Rs and I run it at 10 psi normally, but it's also on beadlocks. Even at 10 psi it doesn't compress the tire remotely like the LR3 at 25.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
DiscoNels, what sort of pressures do you run to get that kind of wheel damage?

I never ran lower than 25/26 PSI as some damage was done in my early days of 22 PSI, but it didn't matter what PSI damage was done anyway. Like I've said, hopefully the E rated tires with their stiffer sidewalls will prevent this from happening in the future. Time will tell. Maybe the design of these rims sucks for off-roading. Maybe I need a rim that doesn't have that lip around the edge.

zelatore

Explorer
E rating will certainly help. I've only run E's on mine.

I actually find the stock Rover wheels to be really good. Like I said, I've abused mine and they have plenty of rash but I've never lost a bead or cracked a wheel like that.

Maybe it's your driving style. Tell me, do you favor Ms. Daisy or Bo Duke? :smiley_drive::sombrero:

Well, let's say I'd drive Ms. Daisy in a Bo Duke kind of way. :ylsmoke:

@discoNels those meats look nice! Congrats on the new rubber!

Oh, and according to my control arm bushings, broken sway bar link and blown out bushings; I'm guessing I'm around Rosco or Ennius right about now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier