PSD 6.0 CAT delete on All Stock engine

dcullen

Observer
Hello,
After spending lots of time searching here and on the rest of the web I have been unable to find a solid consensus regarding the merits of a CAT delete on a stock Power Stroke 6.0. My 6.0 has about 80k miles on it, a new FICM, all new injectors, and a new ECM as of about 20k miles ago (ECM was due to a fan engagement/ disengagement issue). Otherwise all stock with a Torque Pro App to monitor vitals.

After people delete their catalytic converter I have read some say their MPG's increased, some say they decreased. Some say they noticed more power, some say no difference. I have also read people say that their ECT, EOT or EGT's went down, but little real numbers.

If you have deleted your CAT on a PSD 6.0l could you chime in on the following;
MPG's- Better/ worse/ Same?
Power- Better/ worse/ Same?
Various Temperatures- Better/ worse/ Same?

Finally, I read on one forum that deleting the CAT caused a CEL from the back pressure sensor... can anyone substantiate this? Possible fix or work around?

Thanks for any help!
-Dan

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Dan I doubt anyone will publicly write about this. Various entities have started going after businesses and individuals who supply the parts and how-to to circumvent Federally mandated Emmisions equipment. But it does seem to be far less of a advantage on newer rigs vs the early yrs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The only really good argument ive seen on modern rigs is for outside the US travel where lack of DEF and fuel standards dont support these systems.

dcullen

Observer
Thank you for your post. Contributors can Private Message me if they are concerned with writing publicly.

Paddy

Adventurer
Lol. Arrest me if you can. I deleted mine but unfortunately I didn't ever drive it before the delete. It was part of a large remodel on the truck. I have no cel however. I can't imagine a reason why it would decrease mpg however? I'm getting about 14 on it which I don't feel is stellar.

The 6.0 is a weird engine. Mine has absolutely no low end torque. It's a total dog until it hits about 1750 rpm at which point it ignites like a rocket and has so much power I'm scared to get it over 2500. Someone recently told me it's because I have the stick shift and the engine is tuned for an auto. I dunno. It makes me wish I had installed a 6bt instead however. But mine runs great so I can't complain.

Last edited:

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
I did ECT tune and EGR blockoff at the same time, so my results won't help much.

No change in MPG.
Way better performance (but that's due to tune)
Lower ECT

No CEL light. ( the ECT tune does stop the cel light EGR delete error, but leaves all others intact )

stormlover

Adventurer
MPG's- Better/ worse/ Same? Dropped a little.
Power- Better/ worse/ Same? Moar power with quicker turbo spool up.
Various Temperatures- Better/ worse/ Same? EGTs were lowered ~150 F.

This was just one supporting mod to lower underhood temps and increase power and mileage along with an EGR delete. The PCM is reading the back pressure sensor so a more free flowing exhaust will change engine performance. Opinions seem to vary on mileage. The stock muffler is probably more of a restriction that the cat and a high flow muffler might have better results than simply removing the cat. I did both. Even a 100F drop in EGTs can make the difference in EGR system blow up when pushing a van hard in summer heat or when towing a trailer.

With supporting mods in place including an Atlas 40 FICM tune and an 80HP PCM tune I'm getting 15-18 mpg in a 10,000lb van with a 4" lift and 35" tires and a roof rack with a solar panel. I don't have exact numbers but mileage was in the 13-15 range prior to the mods.

Last edited:

dcullen

Observer
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like there isn't a reason not to do it and I can always swap it back if needed.
Anyone have a good source? Figure I can weld up my own if needed but always easier to just buy something all ready to go.

Thanks again,
-Dan

dlh62c

Explorer
I can certainly understand you wanting to remove it. Make sure you retain any takeoff parts should you decide to sell off the truck.

Navi

Adventurer
When your fan was acting up you should of thrown the stock clutch in the trash and switched to the 7.3 clutch and BulletProofDiesel adapter.

stormlover

Adventurer
the CAT doesn't really affect the power/mpgs of the 6.0 PSD. The EGR and FICM strategy does.

Deleting the EGR system or turning of the EGR valve with a tuner has little or no effect on mpg. Emissions aside, is it better to not choke the engine with soot? Yes, but it's really just a reliability mod which removes one of the most lethal aspects of the design. A different FICM tune may or may not increase mileage. Atlas 40 did little for me but it does help spool the turbo and provides some low end torque. It also creates heat because it's prolonging the burn (without increasing cylinder head pressures) so EGTs are higher. The most mileage gains to be had are from a custom PCM tune which advances the timing but that also increases cylinder head pressures and creates heat. Before messing with tunes one should make sure they have the supporting mods in place and ideally the engine is studded or the likelihood of head gasket failure will rear it's ugly head. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

EU87

on my old 2006 6.0, i did the cat delete and 4" daimond eye exhaust (made an F250 kit work, there is enough tubing in f250 cat back kit to take it all the way to the downpipe, so no extra cat delete pipe is needed, i found that out after i bought everything)
MPG increased slightly, no idea on power gain, sounded great.

never had gauges prior to doing it and ended up semi bullet proofing it later on (no studs) MPG increased again. ( i used 5 star tuning and an SCT4 for the CEL issues and tune)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles