Payload in Tacomas- Canopies and Suspension Question

Dalko43

Explorer
here you go for some simple Jeep rust related chassis issues...

FYI, you wont find these products for open C framed vehicles, as the problem isnt common enough. :)

But as I mentioned, Jeep box frames do have this problem.

Some models more than others.

https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_body_frame/frames_accessories/frame-repair

nearly ALL replacement pieces for frame repairs due to rust.

And a quick quote....

And another

hey, that sure sounds familiar!

The one piece of "evidence" you have provided so far is a link to a aftermarket vendor website which sells Jeep replacement parts....good job, you've really put this whole issue to rest now ;).

Kenny, I know several people who own 15+ year old 4runners (boxed frames) here in the northeast. I also know several people who own 15+ year old Tacoma's (c-channels). Other than an occasional run through the car wash, neither group really cleans their frames and underbody. 15 years is a long time of ownership here in the northeast due to winters up here. Both types of vehicles have aged and corroded about the same...neither type is on the verge of falling apart or having the frame crack, though these vehicles are probably on their final stretch due to the general condition they are in.

Granted, this is all anecdotal evidence on my part, but the thing is you're not even giving anecdotal evidence...you're simply stating your opinions as fact and quoting online vendors as your proof that boxed frames are more prone to failure and rust. Boxed frames are a little bit harder to clean but your concerns on the matter are purely theoretical. I can tell you from first-hand experience that here in the northeast it doesn't matter which frame type is used since either one is going to rust out within a similar amount of time (I'd say 20 years is pushing it for a vehicle that sees daily use in my area), even with routine cleanings, because of salt and winters up here.

And as for the FJ frames cracking being a common problem, well I'm guessing you're going to leave that one alone because you have done little to nothing to prove your claim on that.

Again, the Toyota recall was a manufacturing problem.

Beyond that, corrosion issues are simply not common with open C

Again, you're missing my point entirely. For the nth time, I was never claiming that Tacoma frame rust issue was due to it's c-channel construction.

I was saying that it is ironic that your criticize a boxed frame for, in theory, being more prone to cracking/failure and rust and yet the biggest frame recall in recent history was for a batch of c-channel frames. Obviously, quality control at the factory has more to do with a vehicle's/frame's longevity than does the issue of c-channel vs boxed frame.

But since this point eludes you, I'm going to guess that you don't see the irony in that.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
FYI, had a bunch of peeps trying to use cheapo auto-tints. No go. They seem to require a "flash" to trip.

My good miller auto tint worked fine, with the sensitivity set high, so the wife got that one. I stuck with a simple fixed #16 from an old mask. :)
My Lincoln 3350 at the peak (said to be 95.06% on the NASA calculator at our house) didn't want to stay dark. I used my little Fenix set to strobe to trick it. My other helmet is an older 3M 9002X and it had no issue staying dimmed, which my wife took with her to work. Both set to highest sensitivity. The max on both my helmet is #13 so I was wearing #5 goggles, too.

IMG_1653_cropped_mid.jpg

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I think this has turned into a c vs box discussion...

Anyway, like the op, I find myself in a situation where the size of the Tacoma is desirable, but the payload and towing seems to be lacking. I really don't want a full size tundra, but I know it would be better suited.

Adventurous

Explorer

Anyway, like the op, I find myself in a situation where the size of the Tacoma is desirable, but the payload and towing seems to be lacking. I really don't want a full size tundra, but I know it would be better suited.

Yup. DaVikes and I were having that same discussion last night. It would be nice to get a little bit more power and payload out of the Tacoma platform with the same form factor. While the paper differences aren't that large, a full size pickup can be quite an impediment to those who live and travel in urban environments frequently.

Personally I would rather pay a few extra bucks to have the frame overbuilt (and have better corrosion protection) and fine tune the "comfort" of the ride through the suspension than have a more compliant frame that caters to those more concerned with the on-pavement performance. Maybe then it would dissuade the 80% of the population that doesn't need a pickup truck from getting one so we could get back to making sturdier vehicles for the 20% of us who do need them. :smiley_drive:

Clutch

<---Pass

It always turns into a chitshow...

...I like tube myself, not cheap though! :D :p

Kinda the same here, but like the size of the Tacoma over the fullsizes. (most of the fullsize's payload isn't all that much better) Yan know...bunches and bunches of people on here have their Tacomas overloaded, rarely read about catastrophic failure. I say load it up and run it until it breaks. Think we all worry about it too much...on the flip side, do think take waaaay too much stuff with them. Car camping has become awfully complicated these last couple few years....If you do worry about it, pack it like a weight weeny back packer...how much "stuff" do you really need, anyways???

The towing capacity seems fine to me, wasn't all that long ago that a 3/4 ton truck had similar. I think it is pretty amazing that a little V6 has a better towing than my '76 F250 I used to have. IIRC that F250 was 6000 lbs.

I asked my wife the other day if I should get a bigger truck, she said why!? Well... because ....I want a camper...why in the hell do you want a camper!!?? You know you'll be complaining that it is overly complicated and can't go where you want to, just stick with a Tacoma and keep it ********** simple you dumb ********. Ha ha!

Last edited:

Theoretician

Adventurer
Agreed. If the Tacoma were available with 2kips of payload after all the 4x4 options and such then I would have one rather than my f150. I'd have been fine with the 3.5L v6 as is, just make the rolling chassis stronger.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Personally I would rather pay a few extra bucks to have the frame overbuilt (and have better corrosion protection) and fine tune the "comfort" of the ride through the suspension than have a more compliant frame that caters to those more concerned with the on-pavement performance. Maybe then it would dissuade the 80% of the population that doesn't need a pickup truck from getting one so we could get back to making sturdier vehicles for the 20% of us who do need them. :smiley_drive:
Preaching to the choir my friend. I wish Toyota would eliminate the SR trim level Tacoma and just sell a Hilux for those of us who want just what you describe. There's nothing wrong with the Tacoma as a daily driver but I'd think a Hilux would sell like mad to contractors and knuckleheads who take Sawzalls to their trucks before the first oil change.

Adventurous

Explorer
It always turns into a chitshow...

...I like tube myself, not cheap though! :D :p

Kinda the same here, but like the size of the Tacoma over the fullsizes. (most of the fullsize's payload isn't all that much better) Yan know...bunches and bunches of people on here have their Tacomas overloaded, rarely read about catastrophic failure. I say load it up and run it until it breaks. Think we all worry about it too much...on the flip side, do think take waaaay too much stuff with them. Car camping has become awfully complicated these last couple few years....If you do worry about it, pack it like a weight weeny back packer...how much "stuff" do you really need, anyways???

The towing capacity seems fine to me, wasn't all that long ago that a 3/4 ton truck had similar. I think it is pretty amazing that a little V6 has a better towing than my '76 F250 I used to have. IIRC that F250 was 6000 lbs.

I asked my wife the other day if I should get a bigger truck, she said why!? Well... because ....I want a camper...why in the hell do you want a camper!!?? You know you'll be complaining that it is overly complicated and can't go where you want to, just stick with a Tacoma and keep it ********** simple you dumb ********. Ha ha!

Maybe I just tend to be a conservative individual or a towing neophyte, but my comments on the towing capability are geared more towards its ability to haul the weight in a safe manner than it is about its ability to tow it in the first place. It's the argument of can I vs. should I. The Tacoma may be capable of pulling 6,500 lbs, but in my experience the transmission cooler and braking system were barely adequate hauling something half that weight around.

And your wife is a smart lady. I'd listen to her if I were you. ;)

Clutch

<---Pass
Maybe I just tend to be a conservative individual or a towing neophyte, but my comments on the towing capability are geared more towards its ability to haul the weight in a safe manner than it is about its ability to tow it in the first place. It's the argument of can I vs. should I. The Tacoma may be capable of pulling 6,500 lbs, but in my experience the transmission cooler and braking system were barely adequate hauling something half that weight around.

And your wife is a smart lady. I'd listen to her if I were you. ;)

Transmission cooler!? Hell, that is your first problem right there....manual tans doesn't have that issue. (Auto vs. Manny debate a coming! ;) )

Oh, I am pretty conservative myself...like to be at about half capacity...point is A LOT don't and are fine...think we all worry too much.

Yeah, she is much much smarter than me, she keep sme out of trouble. :D

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
My Lincoln 3350 at the peak (said to be 95.06% on the NASA calculator at our house) didn't want to stay dark. I used my little Fenix set to strobe to trick it. My other helmet is an older 3M 9002X and it had no issue staying dimmed, which my wife took with her to work. Both set to highest sensitivity. The max on both my helmet is #13 so I was wearing #5 goggles, too.

View attachment 414928

Cool

One guy I knew seemed to get his infrared LED on his phone to trigger it.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER

Yeah... tell me about it...

Like the newer F150s with higher tow ratings than my OBS 7.3

:Wow1:

Dalko43

Explorer
Preaching to the choir my friend. I wish Toyota would eliminate the SR trim level Tacoma and just sell a Hilux for those of us who want just what you describe. There's nothing wrong with the Tacoma as a daily driver but I'd think a Hilux would sell like mad to contractors and knuckleheads who take Sawzalls to their trucks before the first oil change.

The upcoming Ford Ranger may be the answer to your prayers...especially if it uses the same frame and 3.2 inline 5 diesel that the global version gets. A very robust and well regarded pickup according to the Aussie reviews I've seen.

Between that and GM's Colorado, it seems like everyone is bringing over their version of the Hilux, except for, well, Toyota.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The upcoming Ford Ranger may be the answer to your prayers...especially if it uses the same frame and 3.2 inline 5 diesel that the global version gets. A very robust and well regarded pickup according to the Aussie reviews I've seen.

Between that and GM's Colorado, it seems like everyone is bringing over their version of the Hilux, except for, well, Toyota.

It will be interesting to see what Ford does. Especially given they fear that the Ranger a higher cost / lower profit vehicle for Ford will gut the F150 sales.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah... tell me about it...

Like the newer F150s with higher tow ratings than my OBS 7.3

:Wow1:

And people still aren't happy! geesh! ;)

Other than the diesel, GM is doing what Toyota does...giving the US market a watered down version of the global version. I expect Ford will do the same.

On the Toyotas, other than the frame, both it and the HiLux share a lot of the same components.

It will be interesting to see what Ford does. Especially given they fear that the Ranger a higher cost / lower profit vehicle for Ford will gut the F150 sales.

Not holding my breath...

Dalko43

Explorer
Other than the diesel, GM is doing what Toyota does...giving the US market a watered down version of the global version. I expect Ford will do the same.

The payload for the Colorado might be "watered down" a bit, but the towing and offroad capabilities certainly aren't. I don't think the overseas versions get the front and rear locking diff's and wider track and offroad-tuned suspension.

You can play the pessimist on Ford, but I think they do see a growing opportunity in the mid-sized segment and will play their hand accordingly. Other than updating the interior, there isn't a whole lot they need to do with the T6 Ranger platform....it's been pretty well tested and vetted in Australia and other markets. Purely speculation on my part, but I don't think Ford will make many, if any, changes to that platform when they finally sell it in North America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz