Help with my sunroof, please

When I bought my '97 the PO told me the sunroof did not work. I didn't think to ask what was wrong with it. Now I would like to get it working if possible, but I have been hesitant to press the button to open it for fear that it might move enough to cause a leak without being able to close it back. Is there a way to open and close the sunroof manually? Is there a common problem with these sunroofs that can be easily fixed? Any suggestions at all on repairing this one?
I did search on the forum but did not see anything on troubleshooting the sunroof, maybe someone could point me to a thread, if it exist.
Thanks for the help.
MKR

PacS14

Adventurer
There's an Allen screw that you can use to manually open and close the moon roof, I believe is under the control cover if I remember correctly, once you open it up you will need to clean the tracks that it rides in as it will be all gummed up. I personally use 3m silicone lubricant after cleaning it. Others prefer white grease. Either way will work. Good luck!

HartPA

When I bought my '97 the PO told me the sunroof did not work. I didn't think to ask what was wrong with it. Now I would like to get it working if possible, but I have been hesitant to press the button to open it for fear that it might move enough to cause a leak without being able to close it back. Is there a way to open and close the sunroof manually? Is there a common problem with these sunroofs that can be easily fixed? Any suggestions at all on repairing this one?
I did search on the forum but did not see anything on troubleshooting the sunroof, maybe someone could point me to a thread, if it exist.
Thanks for the help.
MKR

In my 97, the tool to open or close the sunroof was in the little toolbox built into the rear door, and the socket for it was under the plastic cover near the switch labeled "Power Sunroof." If the tool is missing, its basically just a quarter-inch (eyeballing it) allen wrench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles