3/4 ton fuel economy?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
2017 F-250 CC FX4 6.7L diesel, average 15-16 mpg around town and 19-21 mpg at sustained highway speeds. I averaged 13 mpg while towing 17,000 lbs earlier this week.

Dalko43

Explorer
2017 F-250 CC FX4 6.7L diesel, average 15-16 mpg around town and 19-21 mpg at sustained highway speeds. I averaged 13 mpg while towing 17,000 lbs earlier this week.

Lol, I'm lucky if I can break 20 mpg hwy with my v6 4runner...19-21 mpg hwy for a 3/4 ton diesel is pretty damn good.

Cyph86

I Have a 04 Duramax ecsb 4x4. I average 16 city and 21 highway with 33s. Hand calculated. Just have a k&n air filter. Picking up a tuner around the holidays if it changes ill let you know good oit bad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I run my truck hard. I was getting 10.something mpg in town recently where I used to get 13.5'ish mpg. I thought something was going wrong or wearing. On our trip to see the eclipse these were the numbers:

2007 LBZ Duramax (stock, no tuner) 2500HD Silverado classic crew cab, 6.5' bed
Flippac and BFG KO2 size 285/70R17
loaded weight = 8,600 lbs (!)
# of miles round trip = 2,114 (corrected for tire size)
# of gallons of diesel = 130 (first 52 gal tank filled with Propel HPR)
average fuel economy = 16.25 mpg
best tank (558 mi & 28.89 gal) = 18.68 mpg

Now this was cruising between 69-77 (depending on the speed limit and that best tank was on Monday coming home which was a mix of 25 mph lines of cars at each town and passing long lines of cars uphill and down at a very high rate of speed (again, I drive this truck like a 'vette. These tires carry a speed rating "R" or 106 mph which I didn't exceed!).

Okay, Okay......since EVERYONE is asking for my input, I'll shed some light on my rigs (no one is asking and my crap is nearly irrelevant due to age).

I have a 1987 2-door, long bed 3/4t Chevy 4wd. It has the original 350tbi and TH400 trans. This truck is bone-stock with about 192k on it. She's tired, slow, and a gas hog but has been every bit as reliable as any other truck I've owned. Rocking the factory suspension and 4.10s, the 26/75/16 tires help for low end work in the field and does nothing to help RPMs on the road. I tach at about 29-3000 @ 65mph. I get the same mileage towing vs empty: about 9-10mpg. It'll pull any weight at a steady 65 as long as its flat. Any hill and trailer weight and I'm pulling 45-50mph, sometimes better if I'm empty. Just hauled a load of firewood to our cabin near Yellowstone and I'm appalled at how much fuel I went through. Both tanks cost about $90 to fill and will go about 500mi Hold back your jealousy.

My family hauler is a 2000 Excursion, 4wd, V10. This rig is rocking a 8-10in lift and 35s with the factory 3.73 gearing. I have room for 38s, but have no desire to go that direction. Just bought the rig and the lift is coming off as soon as I can find time. Parts already in the garage waiting for me. As is, highways are more forgiving on fuel. At 65mph, I'm not even turning 1800rpm to get 12-14mpg. At 75mph, its closer to 2000rpm and 11-12mpg. The gearing and tires aren't helping with towing. I'm hoping a more realistic 32-33in tire and lower ride height will help. I want to go with 4.30 for pulling, but one thing at a time. My toy hauler and boat don't weigh much, but the V10 needs to rev to make power. The single tank will take me about 400-450mi depending on conditions, and costs about $85 to fill. Specs say its 44gal, but I've never added more than 35.

Last edited:

zuren

Adventurer
I wanted to bring this thread back from last year and thank everyone for their input. Finding MPGs on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks is hard since the manufacturers are not required to report anything. It seems to me that you can get nearly the same fuel economy in a 3/4 ton diesel as you can with a 1/2 ton gasser.

I revisited this thread since I'm still considering changing vehicles. My van is suddenly developing problems faster than I can fix them, and some of these issues are not easy for me to fix, nor cheap if I take it to someone.

Thanks!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Like for like, the diesel only get's 2mpg more unloaded IME. Add a lift and 38" tires, that might be 3-4mpg.

The #'s only count if you quantify the exact conditions. For example:
55mph cruise control, perfectly flat ground, no stops, XL OEM wheels tires, 6.2L: 19-20mpg.

City #'s are useless. The more throttle, or the more red lights you hit........

I wanted to bring this thread back from last year and thank everyone for their input. Finding MPGs on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks is hard since the manufacturers are not required to report anything. It seems to me that you can get nearly the same fuel economy in a 3/4 ton diesel as you can with a 1/2 ton gasser.

I revisited this thread since I'm still considering changing vehicles. My van is suddenly developing problems faster than I can fix them, and some of these issues are not easy for me to fix, nor cheap if I take it to someone.

Thanks!

For what is worth, I have a 2017 Dodge 2500 6.7 CC, 4x4, 34" AT tires, and everything is stock. I do have a truck cap, Rhino Rack and Foxwing awning. I've taken two trips from SC to Montana for extended fly fishing trips over the summer. Average crusing around 70 - 75 mph I get around 21 mpg in the lower states and around 17 mpg when I'm driving into the headwinds cutting across South Dakota into Montana. I'm not sure if its the fuel blend, headwinds, or altitude (or combination of the three) but there is a considerable mpg drop. When I'm mixed hwy and city with daily driving I get around 16mpg.

With all that said, I would not trade my big Ram for anything on long distance drives. It's extremely comfortable and worth what ever I spend on the extra diesel. With the added bonus I can carry what ever I want (with plenty power to spare) and have a comfortable camp when I get there.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I Have a 04 Duramax ecsb 4x4. I average 16 city and 21 highway with 33s. Hand calculated. Just have a k&n air filter. Picking up a tuner around the holidays if it changes ill let you know good oit bad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I've never trusted those oiled filters. I could see light specs through mine when I put it up to the light.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Same here. KN air filters are for cars on dust free tracks. Better off with a cheap STP filter on a dirty truck.

longball

Go to Fuelly.com and check it out.
Darrell

This is the website you need. You can search by make, model, and engine configuration.
http://www.fuelly.com/
The app is also very easy to use.
c7c08acec6658034ae42439afc905cca.png
a065fa31f32058ecd1b7e07c1750d547.png

My experience with 3/4 ton fuel economy below. That’s daily driving with 265/75-16 or 285/70-17 and a lot of it pulling a small trailer with a zero turn or Polaris Ranger. The last 10-12k of those recorded miles 2 injectors were starting to go bad and it really hurt my mileage. Before that I was hovering around overall 17.8mpg.
635fd74f4b185bd775abb804701dc17d.png

Using the fuelly app, you can see the downward trend start sometime around the beginning of 2017.
2d92e90e1b2bd914fee2ac0d5edc674f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jonathon

I’m currently assigned a 2017 F250 CCLB 4x4 with the 6.2. The truck gets driven hard as it’s a public safety vehicle. When I say hard I mean with the motor pegged or riding the governor responding to calls. I don’t hand calculate but I do set the trip and mpg meters every week. The computer has never indicated better than 11 mpg. Normal has been 9. I also tow about 6k worth of boat on occasion. Best towing mpg has been 8 on a 400 mile freeway trip. However we have lots of hill climbs in my area so normal towing mpg is 6 or 7. This truck is the most stripped down XL you can buy; manual windows, manual locks, manual t case, manual hubs, no cruise control, rubber floors, vinyl seats. For a base truck it’s surprisingly comfortable.

Ford has nailed it with the 6.2 and Torqshift G trans. Plenty of power to get the job done and the trans programming is perfect. It’ll hold 60 mph towing down a grade without braking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles