ford ranger supercab question

Wildcat

Adventurer
question for those that have them... are the swing open back doors a must have? i know it makes access to the back easier but is it a must have?

there are 2 supercab rangers im looking at locally. a 99 and an 08. the 99 is cleaner with lower miles but the 08 has opening back doors and 50k more miles.

thanks

Last edited:

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
question for those that have them... are the swing open back doors a must have? i know it makes access to the back easier but is it a must have?

there are 2 supercab rangers im looking at locally. a 99 and an 08. the 99 is cleaner with lower miles but the 08 has opening back doors and 50k more miles.

thanks

That all depends on how often you might use them, our mosquito abatement crew has one with swing open doors and they hate them, they rattle and squeak on rough roads and the crew never uses them, if you don't haul dogs or kids you probably don't need them, also how hard is it to reach to the back seat floor for you, if you can reach the floor easily over the front seat you probably don't need them, if you can't, or haul a lot of stuff you use a lot then get them.

Wildcat

Adventurer
supercab would be my only choice if i go with a ranger. i had a 95 regular cab for about 10 years. excellent truck but not enough room behind the seat.

i wish ford would have made a 4 door. that would have been nice.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I had a 94, without the back doors, and now have an 02 with them- my grandfather owned the 94 before me and then got an 08 with doors, we both prefered the lack of road noise on the 94, but I personally use my back seat for storage, I even got panels for the back of the seat to organize gear, so now my back doors are used constantly,

so for use of the back seat the doors are great, for travel comfort the 2 door is the winner

tennesseewj

Observer
Depends on your use.

If you never have the doors you probably won't be bothered by it. Once you have them you'll realize how helpful they are haha.

Having owned extended cab trucks with and without rear doors, I'll never own another one without them. Leaning over the center console or re-positioning the seat to access the back is very easy, but it's an out-of-position movement that just gets old if you do it a bunch. Oversize items such as rifle cases are especially irritating when you don't have the rear doors

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've owned 2 extended cab trucks (99 Ranger and 04 Tacoma), neither one had the doors and there were quite a few times that I wished they did. I would go for the one with the 4 doors, just much more useful and practical.

gwittman

Adventurer
I owned an 89 extended cab Ranger with no back doors and used it a lot off-road. The problem was getting a large cooler in and out of it. I built a shelf to sit it on and stored stuff under the shelf. Getting to the stuff under the shelf was accessible but sometimes difficult. When I bought a refrigerator, it became even more difficult getting it in and out due to the extra weight. I eventually bought an 02 extended cab Ranger with rear doors and that rear space became much more accessible. I used the same shelf and it became easier to get to stuff under there and getting the refrigerator in and out became much easier. Lifting it was not any easier but I did not have to struggle wedging it into the back. I have no problems with squeaks and rattles either.

As said before, it depends on how you intend to use the back space but I see no disadvantage to have the back doors and I am sure there will be times when you will be glad you have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles