Bed Rack Vs Topper

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Hmm, I'm just going by what the weight is on the leer 100r, I was told "about" 225# (and that it wasn't heavy duty enough to hold any real weight), the rack is about 75# the Softtopper is about 30-35#

straps57

Observer
Retractable topper and racks would have been my preference for my truck. Easy access to everything in the bed would have been nice. Cost was prohibitive. Used retractable bed covers don't exist for my truck and I was looking at $500 for a used rack. $300 for a used camper top and $200 later for a Thule rack and I was in good shape. Not the perfect set up but works for me and saved me about $1800.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Clutch , the Snugtop option that would fit my truck and hold weight, plus have side doors was about $3,000.

For the cost of a good topper, I managed to get a bed rack, Softtopper and a good condition CVT MT. Shasta :) I'm happy.

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch , the Snugtop option that would fit my truck and hold weight, plus have side doors was about $3,000.

For the cost of a good topper, I managed to get a bed rack, Softtopper and a good condition CVT MT. Shasta :) I'm happy.

If you buy new...cheap toppers are on CL all day long. You can reinforce it with some tube to hold the weight of a RTT for cheap.

Yeah, bed configurations...this is one of those "Different Strokes, for Different Folks" things. :D

Always wanted to do a contractor cap with a tool box on the drivers side, and windoor on the passenger. With a RTT, though climbing a ladder doesn't really appeal to me. Was looking for a contractor top when I stumbled upon another Wildernest. Saved myself a grip of cash.

This looks really appealing to me, kinda g everything I am looking for, super quick setup and a contractor top I can add a toolbox to.

IMG_9946.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Since none seemed to fit the measurements for my truck, it's not an option.

Just have to be patient and look. :D

https://redding.craigslist.org/pts/d/leer-100r-camper-shell-chevy/6219912077.html

00v0v_9ZqOJzEUIr7_600x450.jpg

I was seriously getting ready to buy a RTT, almost hit the "Buy" button. Was going to weld up a rack to put on my trailer. But I figured I would look one last time for a Wildernest...and there it was. Took me 2 years to find another. I am pretty patient tho'.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yup! Took it off :) it wouldn't hold the weight I need it to

Too funny!

My Snugtop wouldn't support a RTT either, I was going to weld up an internal support cage (similar in the pic below)...so I could use it on the truck or trailer if I went that way.

100_5608.jpg

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I've seen a few weldups like that. I thought about it but opted to not do it, I really wanted a cap with side access due to adding bed drawers and stuff.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've seen a few weldups like that. I thought about it but opted to not do it, I really wanted a cap with side access due to adding bed drawers and stuff.

Yeah, there are so many ways to configure how to lay out the bed to your needs almost limitless. Would really like to have side toolboxes just for that reason easy access.

Alu-Cab_Explorer-Canopy-cupboard.jpg

Even considering doing a Ute bed similar to this on the next truck.

pop_top_ute_tray_camper_frame_20079671.jpg

Same people who built that gray utility shell, built this too. Might see if they can build me one like that one on the LC70 above. I don't know how to weld
aluminum, I could make it out of steel...but it would be so flippin heavy.

IMG_8741.jpg

Last edited:

rickc

Adventurer
It's only money..... I responded earlier but maybe pictures tell the story a little better. I researched this topic to death and finally went with an ARE CX HD canopy. It's got an internal ally frame that connects directly through the canopy roof to two HD cross bars; no weight on the canopy itself, doors all open unrestricted. Just very expensive. I wasn't sure how big an RTT I was going to go with and I have sea kayaks; I figured going with a system designed for 550lbs dynamic on pavement would work. Looks good too!

It's interesting to read that some folk have actually determined the load ratings of canopies rather than just copy what they see on Google pictures and overload. I called all the big canopy suppliers and all were very vague about loading. I don't like vague.

Anyhow, I recommend the ARE HD. The internal ally extrusions have double T slots both sides so lots of spots for attachments, running cables, whatever. The beefy cross bars up top have T slots top and bottom; I've used the top ones to mount a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform and the bottom right to mount my ARB awning.

ddcchWY.jpg

OT4mUsE.jpg

jL0FG8L.jpg

9UsC0cB.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles