Bed Rack Vs Topper

PatrickB

It's only money..... I responded earlier but maybe pictures tell the story a little better. I researched this topic to death and finally went with an ARE CX HD canopy. It's got an internal ally frame that connects directly through the canopy roof to two HD cross bars; no weight on the canopy itself, doors all open unrestricted. Just very expensive. I wasn't sure how big an RTT I was going to go with and I have sea kayaks; I figured going with a system designed for 550lbs dynamic on pavement would work. Looks good too!

It's interesting to read that some folk have actually determined the load ratings of canopies rather than just copy what they see on Google pictures and overload. I called all the big canopy suppliers and all were very vague about loading. I don't like vague.

Anyhow, I recommend the ARE HD. The internal ally extrusions have double T slots both sides so lots of spots for attachments, running cables, whatever. The beefy cross bars up top have T slots top and bottom; I've used the top ones to mount a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform and the bottom right to mount my ARB awning.

ddcchWY.jpg

OT4mUsE.jpg

jL0FG8L.jpg

9UsC0cB.jpg
I've been considering this setup. My only concern is the fixed mounting points. It would be nice if you wanted to remove the cross bars, but I don't believe that is possible. I also wonder how the ARE CX with extra crossbars would be. That would distribute the weight pretty well.

rickc

Adventurer
PatrickB: What do you want to do with your setup; what's its purpose? The cross bars are removable but I'm not sure why you would want to remove them; they are really good, with "T" slots top and bottom. I went the route of a Pioneer Platform to give me more flexibility; it's the full length of my canopy. I wasn't sure how big an RTT I was going to go with and wanted a long support for my kayaks. Unless you go with a contractor's style, I doubt that you will find another canopy with this load bearing capability. If you want specific details or pics, just ask.

PatrickB

Thanks Rick. I was mostly considering putting a RTT. But that would be the most weight that would be on the roof. I also would like the versatility of adding a prinsu designs type rack. Thanks for the insight. Appreciate the advice.
-Patrick

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
It's only money..... I responded earlier but maybe pictures tell the story a little better. I researched this topic to death and finally went with an ARE CX HD canopy. It's got an internal ally frame that connects directly through the canopy roof to two HD cross bars; no weight on the canopy itself, doors all open unrestricted. Just very expensive. I wasn't sure how big an RTT I was going to go with and I have sea kayaks; I figured going with a system designed for 550lbs dynamic on pavement would work. Looks good too!

It's interesting to read that some folk have actually determined the load ratings of canopies rather than just copy what they see on Google pictures and overload. I called all the big canopy suppliers and all were very vague about loading. I don't like vague.

Anyhow, I recommend the ARE HD. The internal ally extrusions have double T slots both sides so lots of spots for attachments, running cables, whatever. The beefy cross bars up top have T slots top and bottom; I've used the top ones to mount a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform and the bottom right to mount my ARB awning.

Nice setup rickc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I like the design of the ARE CX HD setup, but I haven't received my quote request yet so I have no idea what I am looking at price wise which is scary. My biggest fear with fiberglass campers is the risk of it cracking over time. The bed will flex when off-road and then adding the weight of a rack and RTT on top of that, regardless of the beefed up canopy or internal frame options, will certainly lead to fatigue and failure over time. A $3300 cracked camper is not something I want to risk. There is the option of going with an aluminum/steel contractor shell, but they are ugly, have horrible field of view and cost $1000-3000 more than the already over priced fiberglass models.

A Can-Bak or Softtopper is appealing and it would me the ability to do a drawer system and bed slide on top inside, or a bed height rack, but that system still lacks good coverage from the elements and poor security as well, not to mention that I don't think they very look good on anything other than a Tacoma. I don't want to be reduced to a BakFlip and a bed slide because then I can't run it with a Leitner or Wilco rack at the same time. Just a difficult decision all around, none of them are perfect and the better ones are astronomical in cost. I am starting to wonder if I should just buy my buddies Excursion and build that!?

rickc

Adventurer
Tex68w: My ARE CX HD cap cost CAN$3438 before fitting and taxes. My credit card is still hot to the touch. I looked very closely at Leitner and Wilco Offroad solutions but I decided security and relative cleanliness and dryness were priorities so went with a cap. I was also very concerned about flex and cracking and did a lot of homework. Of all the options I researched the ARE CX HD made the most sense to me; all the load is transmitted to the truck sides directly from the load bars through holes in the canopy; the fiberglass top of the canopy itself if not loaded at all. Back to cost, a set of high load bars generally costs around CAN$600+ so the CAN$3438 should be considered as canopy and HD cross bars. Makes it hurt a little less when I think of it this way. I should note that my canopy has a solid ally drivers side "window", front and passenger side windows with a sliding centre part and a lining. As you wrote; a difficult decision all round but I think this was the right thing for me; maybe even a little over-kill.

Good luck.

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
Rick got a good deal!

I just did an ARE CX-HD on mu Tundra. Solid HD doors with locking T-handles on both sides and rear and the total was just over $5600 before taxes.

I called 5 dealers in Alberta and BC and all prices were within $200-$300. $3500 is a steal!

So far, not overly enthused about the ARE finished quality but we'll see if they can make things right. It arrived with 2 toyota lock cylinders and a rear GM cylinder, however that happened, so waiting for a new lock. There were crossbar end caps missing as well, still waiting in those too (I almost lost the re-enforcement bars in the crossbars, I didn't know they would slide out, now taped until parts arrive). Fit and finish on my side door trim is rough and "unfinished", one hinge is "popping" from misalignment from the factory. Hopefully it can be fixed but it looks riveted, so more holes is going to make it worse. Its a nice enough, and very solid canopy, but I expected more for the money.

On the positive side, the CX-HD holds my Treeline Redwood RTT extremely well and is very solid. So thats the good news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94