Weight Limits Clarification

MOgoat

So my wife and I recently both got into school system jobs and will have the summers to travel. We're thinking of driving to Alaska from Missouri this summer and are trying to decide what to drive. We'll either take my truck with our Tepui RTT or replace her current DD (Ford Focus) for some kind of softroader that we could put the RTT on top of.

The question I'm looking for help with is: Would a 100lb RTT be too much weight for a typical (Yakima, Thule, etc) roof rack on a car? The specs on most of those racks say 160lbs weight limit but I see plenty of pictures of tents on Subarus and such. Are people overloading their racks? I don't want to buy a different car and destroy the roof driving it to AK. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
So my wife and I recently both got into school system jobs and will have the summers to travel. We're thinking of driving to Alaska from Missouri this summer and are trying to decide what to drive. We'll either take my truck with our Tepui RTT or replace her current DD (Ford Focus) for some kind of softroader that we could put the RTT on top of.

The question I'm looking for help with is: Would a 100lb RTT be too much weight for a typical (Yakima, Thule, etc) roof rack on a car? The specs on most of those racks say 160lbs weight limit but I see plenty of pictures of tents on Subarus and such. Are people overloading their racks? I don't want to buy a different car and destroy the roof driving it to AK. Any thoughts?

When we are installing Tepui or Yakima RTT's, we use the Yakima system as a guideline as to whether an RTT will work for a specific vehicle.

The site we use can be accessed here: Yakima Fitlookup

Entering a vehicle's information and then scrolling down to the Base Camp section to see if the Skyrise's are listed let's you know whether your roof/roof rack configuration has been tested, and will work for an RTT install.

You can apply those specs to any 2-3 person RTT with 400-600 lb weight capacity to mount to the tested/suggested Yakima crossbars.

To my knowledge, there are no factory crossbars (Subaru, Toyota, Ford, etc.) that will support the weight of an RTT.

Good luck in your search, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

:coffeedrink:

rnArmy

Adventurer
When you mention RTT, I'm assuming you'll be camping.
I think if you drove your truck (assuming it has some sort of topper on it) it would give you more storage space than a soft-roader (I like that term). If I were taking my wife on such a trip (not really her idea of a good time to begin with), she would need twice as much "stuff" as I would in order to be comfortable. In order to keep her happy on the trip, I would take the largest and most comfortable vehicle I have. Gas mileage would be the least of my worries.
We have a new Subaru Crosstrek (our soft-roader), a built Jeep TJ, and a mildly modified 96 Dodge Ram 4x4. If I was going by myself or with a buddy, I'd take the TJ with my small trailer. If I was taking the wife - definitely the truck and trailer. In your case (you and your wife), bigger is better. Unless you both like to go the minimalist route, it is the little extras you can take that make a trip like this so much more enjoyable.
Hardtop.25.jpgCover.1.jpg

Last edited:

rickc

Adventurer
Mogoat: most basic, clamp-style or gutter bars are good for around 150lb dynamic +/-. If you have a track mounted system roof-rack then the dynamic load goes up; every system is different. Your lightweight Tepui, mounted to basic bars should be fine for a 100lb RTT plus two adults as long as you are not too heavy; remember that the ladder supports some of the load of the cantilevered section of the RTT.

Yes, lots of people are overloading their racks; loads of pics on Google showing lightweight bars with heavy RTTs, spare wheels, big boxes; lots of people stating that they've never had a problem. I've never had an issue either but I've seen bent bars, broken mounts and even bent door frames. Something a lot of people don't consider enough is the impact of sudden braking on grossly overloaded roof racks. Most RTTs are only attached to their aluminum extrusions by 4 bolts and 4 small screws; that's all that is holding the RTT to the vehicle.

Another consideration is going off pavement; the rack manufacturers generally state "divide by 2" so now your 150lb pair of racks is only good for 75lb dynamic. Not much.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Dont get the cross trek its great for super light back packer one or two people but is way too small regarding space and payload. I have the outback its a great size and load range for two person rrt semi light kit. i.e leave the kitchen sink at home trip. We tow our Lifetime Tent trailer with costco yellow top bins stacked on the trailer with our gear. Two adults two kids often two or more bikes and it tows great 21mpg trip averages are typical, but kids are getting bigger and more crap has me hitting bump stops occasionally. As such we've moved to the gen 1 sequoia we own as our heavy camping rig. The Subaru OB still gets tagged for the lighter shorter camping trips.

MOgoat

The current game plan is to take the cheapest route, so that we can spend more money on our actual trip. The cheapest route being to take the truck (Cheaper than buying a different car). I currently run a Thule bed rack and just keep stuff in plastic bins underneath it. That isn't a very bear country friendly set up so I am keeping my eye out for some kind of camper shell that we'll put the RTT on top of. We've had a ton of fun planning this trip so far. IMG_1429.JPG

e43eb38148c0a01cec7b1657faa88639.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
The current game plan is to take the cheapest route, so that we can spend more money on our actual trip. The cheapest route being to take the truck (Cheaper than buying a different car). I currently run a Thule bed rack and just keep stuff in plastic bins underneath it. That isn't a very bear country friendly set up so I am keeping my eye out for some kind of camper shell that we'll put the RTT on top of. We've had a ton of fun planning this trip so far. View attachment 415209

e43eb38148c0a01cec7b1657faa88639.jpg

Nice looking truck.

I've been up to Alaska and northern Canada a couple of times - you and your wife will appreciate having the full-sized truck up there.

My buddy and I have been up there with my TJ (and trailer), and his modified Jeep ZJ (and the trailer). It started to get a little crowded in those vehicles after a while. I would have rather had my truck at times on that trip for the extra space and comfort.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Dont get the cross trek its great for super light back packer one or two people but is way too small regarding space and payload. I have the outback its a great size and load range for two person rrt semi light kit. i.e leave the kitchen sink at home trip. We tow our Lifetime Tent trailer with costco yellow top bins stacked on the trailer with our gear. Two adults two kids often two or more bikes and it tows great 21mpg trip averages are typical, but kids are getting bigger and more crap has me hitting bump stops occasionally. As such we've moved to the gen 1 sequoia we own as our heavy camping rig. The Subaru OB still gets tagged for the lighter shorter camping trips.

Our Crosstrek is my wife's vehicle and is her primary car. I get the truck, two Jeeps, and a little Toyota Yaris, so I guess that's fair. She's very happy with her Subaru, and I'm happy she's happy. I like driving it (that's all I'm allowed to do to it). It is a very nice car; gets great gas mileage, and I'm glad she's got the all-wheel-drive since we live in WA and we like to go up into the mountains.
My wife and 17 y/o daughter recently took it down to California for a few weeks visiting folks and places, and just their luggage pretty much filled up the car. It makes for a great vehicle for tossing some luggage in the back and getting away for a bit or for day trips, but I can't see camping/living out of it for any length of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz