Trans-Canada: North America and the Canadian Rockies

Wilbah

Adventurer
Not anything via any organized groups no. I do an annual/couple of times per year fishing trip to Maine (NMW) each year with friends, have done the southwest in the past with the family, in long term planning for an eastern Canada winter run (Labrador Highway or James Bay), Alaska at some point. Trying to sort family and work responsibilities is never easy!

rickashay

Explorer
Excellent photos and write up, thank you for sharing. Really enjoyed your perspective and experience on a place that was my backyard (Calgary & area) until last year. It's crazy to see some of the places and adventures you had that I as a resident never even experienced. (some, not all...) Crazy how we get side-tracked in the "norm" and don't stop to smell the roses. Next time you'll have to head West a little more - check out the Kootenay's in BC if you want to find some of the most remote and stunning backcountry in existence.

Note on the drone... careful flying them in the national parks in Canada as it is technically illegal and you can be fined an absurd amount if caught flying without an SFOC license. Sucks, but true.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Excellent photos and write up, thank you for sharing. Really enjoyed your perspective and experience on a place that was my backyard (Calgary & area) until last year. It's crazy to see some of the places and adventures you had that I as a resident never even experienced. (some, not all...) Crazy how we get side-tracked in the "norm" and don't stop to smell the roses. Next time you'll have to head West a little more - check out the Kootenay's in BC if you want to find some of the most remote and stunning backcountry in existence.

Note on the drone... careful flying them in the national parks in Canada as it is technically illegal and you can be fined an absurd amount if caught flying without an SFOC license. Sucks, but true.

Thanks man. I've been a huge fan of your Colossal adventures & write-ups for some time now. I greatly appreciate your compliments, such a beautiful place to explore. I truly wish we had had more time out there, as I would have absolutely loved to make it a little further west to BC. Initially I had hoped to make it to the Conraid Kain Hut in the Bugaboos, but it was booked up full during the dates we were going to be nearby. Worth checking out if you're ever up in the area again and enjoy backpacking.

Re: Mavic. Last April I e-mailed with the Parks department a few times after filing my filming request permit. I explained I was not a for-profit "brand" and instead was more of an adventure/backcountry/outdoors ambassador. After a few emails they said they wouldn't grant me permission to fly, so I went into it planning not to. The only place I actually did was 10 miles up a trail at a backcountry campsite along the Athabasca about an hour south of Jasper. Dani and I were at a site with 4 other people, and I asked each of them if they minded, ready and willing to not fly it if anyone objected. Each of them gave their blessing (and thanked me for asking instead of just doing it) and so I flew it up river and back towards Blackfriar peak. 15-min of flight time total, then put it away. I knew the risk ahead of time, but made the conscious decision being miles and miles away from anyone else and not at Louise, Moraine, Minnewanka, etc. It was just too beautiful and remote to pass up the opportunity :) The other footage was from outside of Canmore on the Smith-Dorrian so there shouldn't be an issue there.

It really is a shame that they're so against it, but in this day and age where anyone can own one and be stupid about it, I understand.

Thanks again for the kind words. Look forward to more of your imagery and adventures!

rickashay

Explorer
Thanks man. I've been a huge fan of your Colossal adventures & write-ups for some time now. I greatly appreciate your compliments, such a beautiful place to explore. I truly wish we had had more time out there, as I would have absolutely loved to make it a little further west to BC. Initially I had hoped to make it to the Conraid Kain Hut in the Bugaboos, but it was booked up full during the dates we were going to be nearby. Worth checking out if you're ever up in the area again and enjoy backpacking.

Re: Mavic. Last April I e-mailed with the Parks department a few times after filing my filming request permit. I explained I was not a for-profit "brand" and instead was more of an adventure/backcountry/outdoors ambassador. After a few emails they said they wouldn't grant me permission to fly, so I went into it planning not to. The only place I actually did was 10 miles up a trail at a backcountry campsite along the Athabasca about an hour south of Jasper. Dani and I were at a site with 4 other people, and I asked each of them if they minded, ready and willing to not fly it if anyone objected. Each of them gave their blessing (and thanked me for asking instead of just doing it) and so I flew it up river and back towards Blackfriar peak. 15-min of flight time total, then put it away. I knew the risk ahead of time, but made the conscious decision being miles and miles away from anyone else and not at Louise, Moraine, Minnewanka, etc. It was just too beautiful and remote to pass up the opportunity :) The other footage was from outside of Canmore on the Smith-Dorrian so there shouldn't be an issue there.

It really is a shame that they're so against it, but in this day and age where anyone can own one and be stupid about it, I understand.

Thanks again for the kind words. Look forward to more of your imagery and adventures!

Yah the hut network up here is CRAZY. There are so many off the radar ones but definitely the most epic are ones like the Conraid Kain Hut.

So many people don't think twice about flying drones in certain areas. To be clear, I wasn't trying to grind you for doing something illegal... it's just that most people do not do the diligence to look into it and know the rules ahead of time like you did. Props to you for that and also for respecting the people around you and asking if they had any concern before taking flight. It's common sense and respect like this that would help to avoid some of the ridiculous rules and restrictions in the first place.

Glad you have enjoyed the Colossal trips. Thanks for following along! Hit me up if your ever back up this direction. Cheers

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Yah the hut network up here is CRAZY. There are so many off the radar ones but definitely the most epic are ones like the Conraid Kain Hut.

So many people don't think twice about flying drones in certain areas. To be clear, I wasn't trying to grind you for doing something illegal... it's just that most people do not do the diligence to look into it and know the rules ahead of time like you did. Props to you for that and also for respecting the people around you and asking if they had any concern before taking flight. It's common sense and respect like this that would help to avoid some of the ridiculous rules and restrictions in the first place.

Glad you have enjoyed the Colossal trips. Thanks for following along! Hit me up if your ever back up this direction. Cheers

No worries, I didn't take it offensively. It's a legit subject that is tricky to discuss sometimes on the internet, but as you stated most people don't look into it. Yes, I asked permission and then went against it but I did everything I could to make it an a-typical scenario. I've spent months of my life living in the mountains (2014 Appalachian Trail thru-hiker, amongst other adventures) and have, in those times, grown to a mindset where the woods is my home and strangers are massively disruptive and don't belong. It's odd to type that, but it truly is a feeling that overcomes you when the mountains are your place to live. I think it's that experience that leads me to be more aware of other people and their concerns while out there.

I'll definitely get in touch next time we're back up in your area.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Hey all!

So I found out the other day that one of my photos (below) was voted into the Overland Expo Photo Contest, and was chosen by judges as one of the top 8 images. I was hoping you all might take a chance to vote for it - I'd greatly appreciate it! It would be absolutely amazing to get the WK2 Trailhawk down to the event in November, which is the grand prize of the competition!

By their rules you can vote once per day, per IP address.

Thanks so much for the consideration, and perhaps even your vote.

Here's the link:

Overland Expo Photo Contest

Here's the story:

While winter wheeling with a friend in New Hampshire's White Mountains my Jeep broke through thick ice of a frozen-over river, requiring recovery from my buddy's JKU. I took a moment to photograph him pulling the FlatLink at the end of his winch line towards the Grand Cherokee to pull me back safely. The photo was handheld, taken at ISO400, f/2.8, 1/50" exposure.

And here's the image:

Epic Winchline Pull - OverlandExpo Contest by 2180miles

TT-Tacoma

Observer
That's so funny. You were staying seriously close to my house. Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for documenting it and the photo's look amazing!

Last edited:

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
That's so funny. You were staying seriously close to my house. Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for documenting it and the photo's look amazing!

Sorry, just seeing this now! Trip was amazing... can't wait to get back out there again.

Appreciate the kind words :)

TexasIsHome

Great trip report Ryan. My wife and I are planning on driving from Texas to Banff this June, and I have found a lot of good info in here. Super excited for our trip! (You may (or may not) recognize me as TexasTJ on other forums).

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Great trip report Ryan. My wife and I are planning on driving from Texas to Banff this June, and I have found a lot of good info in here. Super excited for our trip! (You may (or may not) recognize me as TexasTJ on other forums).

Late with a reply here, but ecstatic to hear you found useful information in this trip report. Absolutely do recognize the TexasTJ username! I used to constantly update on JF with "Big Red" the Boston Jeep Build - pic attached.... Been a long, long time since I've posted anything (or done anything) with the TJ but she's in the garage as a someday-soon project to get her back to her former glory.

Safe travels next month, have a fantastic time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles