Land cruiser straight 6 vs V8?

zimm

Expedition Leader
Good point. I'm not quite ready, free time and experience wise, to tackle the level of work that it's required lately. Will be getting more time soon to start doing my own work on it.

not trying to be snarky, but its just a chevy engine. it seems to me the non usa market diesel would be harder to deal with in a repair situation.

dcoy

Adventurer
not trying to be snarky, but its just a chevy engine. it seems to me the non usa market diesel would be harder to deal with in a repair situation.

Haven't had any experience with a diesel, although the Vortec has been a persnickety bugger of late. Maybe it's a "grass is greener on the other side..." situation, but I have found some shops that are intimidated by my rig for some reason.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you're looking for a mostly freeway driver that is capable off road and don't mind the pedestrian profile...get the 100.

You have so much '"Hundy" envy it's not even funny!! Every time somebody asks a question about 100s you come on and bash them and tout your beloved 80. Have you ever owned a 100? Give it a rest!

I've owned both, and love both. Both of mine have OME suspension and 33s on them. I didn't find the 80 "slow", but the V8 is much more powerful, and as a bonus, gets better fuel economy. I use my 100 hard. It is on dirt literally everyday. Unless you are building a rock crawler, there is nowhere you can take an 80 that a 100 can't go if they are equivalent builds.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have found some shops that are intimidated by my rig for some reason.

You need to find a better shop! (I'm sure you know that...). But if it ever becomes too much to handle, I'd trade you my 100 for your V8 60. I might be divorced shortly after, but I sure miss my diesel 60!

zimm

Expedition Leader
You have so much '"Hundy" envy it's not even funny!! Every time somebody asks a question about 100s you come on and bash them and tout your beloved 80. Have you ever owned a 100? Give it a rest!

I've owned both, and love both. Both of mine have OME suspension and 33s on them. I didn't find the 80 "slow", but the V8 is much more powerful, and as a bonus, gets better fuel economy. I use my 100 hard. It is on dirt literally everyday. Unless you are building a rock crawler, there is nowhere you can take an 80 that a 100 can't go if they are equivalent builds.

Bingo

NCFJ

Adventurer
but I have found some shops that are intimidated by my rig for some reason.

You need to find a better shop! (I'm sure you know that...). But if it ever becomes too much to handle, I'd trade you my 100 for your V8 60. I might be divorced shortly after, but I sure miss my diesel 60!

I have to agree with Red. The LS series motors are well established and known to a great many wrenches outside dealerships. You just need to hunt out a decent shop in your area. Not all swaps are done the same way, many are done on the cheap and are not documented. That can be an issue for the next guy down the line working on it. The truck itself is pretty basic, so is the power train, just different than most are accustomed to seeing.

Take your truck to a Land Cruiser guy for all but the drive line, take it to a guy that knows GM motors for the drive train and you'll be fine. These motors have no problem turning 300-500K miles without tear down.

Upland80

Adventurer

1uk35u.jpg

Dalko43

Explorer

This is the same guy who claimed that the LC 80's 4.5l Inline 6 was a "million mile" engine and that its transmission was out of a Japanese bus....but as he'll point out, he's not a fanboy so don't accuse him of being biased ;)

altaboy

Observer
Parts availability: I feel the 80 series is on it's way to partsobsoletum.

Besides my 100, I have an '87 60. Toyota as discontinued several key parts (manifold assy, egr valve, etc.). Looks like 30 years is the support range. 30years comes up quick when starting with an older 80.

Arktikos

Explorer
Hello all, contemplating an older Landcruiser, '97 perhaps through '05.

Have been researching on Craigslist and other offerings. I see lots of 6 and 8 cylinder models for sale. My question, what is the best performer vs power vs fuel mileage...

Older? LOL. Those are newer in my book. Answer to your question is clearly the 8, as it has more power and better MPG. Drive both and see what you think.

They're both great trucks. 100 series impresses me as the best vehicle I've ever driven.

Would I own one? Nah, my pockets aren't deep enough. But then, the same can be said for the 80. Both are very expensive to own and operate.

It could be argued that the 80 series is last "true" Land Cruiser, as it has the SFA and an inline 6 just like the first ones ever made. So, it's a dilemma as which way to go. I wouldn't get an 80 with high miles if the head gasket hasn't been done. Good luck.

The inline 4.5L 6 was a good motor, but has issues with blowing head gaskets over time and gets worse MPG. The 4.7 V8 is incredible, with lots of usable power and better MPG. There never was a 4.6L offered in the 80 or 100 series though. The 98-02 had the 4 speed trans and no VVTI. 03-07 had the VVTI and the 5 speed trans, but are typically considerably more than the earlier versions. I have a 01 and am very happy with mine. The only real way to decide for you is to get out and go drive each one and see what you like and don't like. Hope this helps!

I don't think VVTI was available until 05, but I could be wrong.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Parts availability: I feel the 80 series is on it's way to partsobsoletum.

Besides my 100, I have an '87 60. Toyota as discontinued several key parts (manifold assy, egr valve, etc.). Looks like 30 years is the support range. 30years comes up quick when starting with an older 80.
This is what has traditionally pushed me to change out. I'm a one Toyota person and it's got to be daily driver, utility, recreation. I started with '78 FJ40, which when I had it (1999-2000) was already a collector's item but Toyota had a few things left in the system. But midnight wrenching on Sunday to get to work Monday after digging through junkyards just got old.

So I got a then 9 year old mini truck that hit 25 and the parts writing was on the wall, an item here and there discontinued or an unusually long wait.

Now I'm driving a 2nd gen Tacoma that should be good for a while. It seems 20 years on the last model year is when Toyota starts testing the water and tracking movement. It's probably longer with Cruisers since I'd bet the owners are generally not as cheap as mini truck owners, who I find are less likely to stick with dealer suppliers and seek the lowest possible cost part.

But the 80 series is hitting that 20 year mark this year. It's funny to think that a 100 series is actually a 19 year old design.

4Beast

Observer
This is the same guy who claimed that the LC 80's 4.5l Inline 6 was a "million mile" engine and that its transmission was out of a Japanese bus....but as he'll point out, he's not a fanboy so don't accuse him of being biased ;)

It's actually getting annoying, as it's so ridiculous that it's distracting in these posts. But then again me talking about it here is also distracting. No win, I guess. If he ever gets a 100 it will be the greatest vehicle ever created, bar none.

Mayne

Explorer
With an 80, it comes Down to maintenance. They are up there in miles, and the creature comforts usually need some repair. That said, I've gone many places in a stockish 80, love it to pieces. Cooling system gets a flush, new thermostat, Toyota parts every other year. Aux cooling fans for slow speed desert climbing. Mines a bit over kill on the cooling, but I also run a supercharger for more umph. Depends on how much $, and what you're comfortable doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles