Land cruiser straight 6 vs V8?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Parts availability: I feel the 80 series is on it's way to partsobsoletum.

Besides my 100, I have an '87 60. Toyota as discontinued several key parts (manifold assy, egr valve, etc.). Looks like 30 years is the support range. 30years comes up quick when starting with an older 80.

Even in 2011 I had some challenges tracking down some J80 parts. They were out there but not exactly in active circulation. It wouldnt surprise me if parts get near impossible to find in the near future.

Upland80

Adventurer
Awful sensitive around here lately. To the OPs original question, the V8 is more powerful and efficient, but the 4.5 is the last proprietary LC engine available to the U.S. Sharing drive train components with the Sequoia/Tundra cheapens the label (although great engines) IMO...

I'll just leave this here for Dalko's "secret" folder

2017-08-22 17.15.42.jpg

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Parts availability: I feel the 80 series is on it's way to partsobsoletum.

Besides my 100, I have an '87 60. Toyota as discontinued several key parts (manifold assy, egr valve, etc.). Looks like 30 years is the support range. 30years comes up quick when starting with an older 80.

30 years support is better than dodge. Hell i have a hard time believe if you could go to any domestic dealer and get parts for a 30 year old truck.

Dalko43

Explorer
Awful sensitive around here lately. To the OPs original question, the V8 is more powerful and efficient, but the 4.5 is the last proprietary LC engine available to the U.S. Sharing drive train components with the Sequoia/Tundra cheapens the label (although great engines) IMO...

I'll just leave this here for Dalko's "secret" folder

So the 5.7l v8 in the LC 200 isn't a true LC engine because it's also in the Tundra and Sequoia? Oh boy, here we go....

Upland80

Adventurer
So the 5.7l v8 in the LC 200 isn't a true LC engine because it's also in the Tundra and Sequoia? Oh boy, here we go....

Hey Dalko....still hanging in the cruiser section and driving the runner...cool. Did I say the 5.7 wasn't a true LC engine or just not exclusive to the LC? 5.7 is a vast improvement over 20+ year old tech...just think Mr. T cheapens the LC label by offering it in anything other than LC (especially given the 70K+ tag). Ditch that runner and take the plunge Dalky :av-7:

Dalko43

Explorer
Hey Dalko....still hanging in the cruiser section and driving the runner...cool. Did I say the 5.7 wasn't a true LC engine or just not exclusive to the LC? 5.7 is a vast improvement over 20+ year old tech...just think Mr. T cheapens the LC label by offering it in anything other than LC (especially given the 70K+ tag). Ditch that runner and take the plunge Dalky :av-7:

You said the 4.5l was the last "proprietary LC" engine...I think the implication was pretty obvious. I'm not interested in discussing whether certain LC's had their labels "cheapened." You're the king of all things LC, so my word means nothing compared to yours.

krazytoy

Adventurer
Even the LS motors are "old skool" in this day and age, you boys need to start looking at the direct inject GM engines (motor are electric) hell even the ecotec is a huge step up from an LS if you wanna talk power to weight. 2.8l Cummins isn't out and won't be for a while, there are several other diesel options out there too in the last 3 years or so. All of your options are archaic if you ask me?

Upland80

Adventurer
Even the LS motors are "old skool" in this day and age, you boys need to start looking at the direct inject GM engines (motor are electric) hell even the ecotec is a huge step up from an LS if you wanna talk power to weight. 2.8l Cummins isn't out and won't be for a while, there are several other diesel options out there too in the last 3 years or so. All of your options are archaic if you ask me?

True true, but something special about seeing an old 40 series still chugging along with the simple and reliable 2F. It really comes down to what makes you smile when driving down the trail...to each their own.

NCFJ

Adventurer
This is an old question and it really has no "correct" answer. The options out there are huge, obviously not all are inexpensive. If you are expecting to buy and DD either an 80 or 100 series you are pretty much kidding yourself. "I'll fix it over time" is a common path but this path leads you to never being completely finished working on the truck and once you get through all or most of the items on your list some of the items you did early on will once again require attention.

This is not just true about Land Cruisers, it is true about any 20-30 year old vehicle. The only way to really get one of these trucks to be a reliable DD is to base line it thoroughly when purchased. There are so many routes that can be taken, from bone stock to complete drive train swaps. Heck my personal preference is a 62 on an 80 roller with an LS based swap. To each their own, none of us are "right".

alaskanwheeler

I've owned my 80 series for over 10 years, just recently test drove a 100 series. If I were to find the right 100 series the way I use my 80 series, the 100 would have been a better choice...Better daily driver, would be a fine trail rig, more power, and comfortable...

zimm

Expedition Leader
the 2.8 cummins is good for a 40, a jeep, an old bronco etc. it doesnt have the HP to push a 4 door up long grades at modern highway speeds. until fuel hits 8 bucks a gallon, its a dumb swap for 4 door rig intended to loaded down.

zimm

Expedition Leader

personally i love the power and economy of the ford units, and they have factory stand alone ECU's available, its just typical ford that the bell housing change with the blowing wind. try making one work.

to that end, the LS is new 350. its a tidy package that will have aftermarket support until gas engines are no more. fuel efficiency is great, the variety of displacement and materials is unrivaled, as is the durability. i already have the adapter parts, i just cant make up my mind if a complete rebuild is worth it, if 120k dropouts are 500 bucks local.

i like the feel of a big 6, but the 2f is piece of ****. its based on 1930's chevy design with 4 main bearings. a 700 pound motor that cant rev and only produces 135hp will last a long time. it takes power to break things. on that note, if i could swap a 300cid ford as easily as an LS, it meets the minimum performance threshold so id likely waste my money and do it.

There's a Land Rover guy local to me that built a Chevy straight 6 punched out to 327 (!) for his SII pickup. It looks cool, sounds great and makes plenty of HP and torque.

I agree that the Toyota straight sixes are not worth their weight in dog food. They may run forever, but aren't cheap to repair nor do they have the power to get out of their own way. If towing is even remotely on your radar, avoid the 6.

altaboy

Observer
One other note on parts availability on the older irons: when calling 'yota parts, one usually asks "how much is this part"? and gets an answer "$xx.xx for the part". go down to buy it, out of stock and no-where to be found:-(

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If towing is even remotely on your radar, avoid the 6.

I'm a straight six lover. I admit it. My daily driver is a 370 hp and 800 ft-lb straight six. It makes me smile every time I drive it. The 4.5 is not the best straight six ever, but I did once tow my 31' Airstream loaded to the rafters with tools over about 160 miles of west coast mountains. Was it the smartest thing I've ever done? Not really, but, the 80 pulled it off without any ill effects. I'd guess the weight was close to 7,000 lbs. it's all relative when it comes to towing. A small trailer will be fine with the 80, just don't be in a rush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne