Land cruiser straight 6 vs V8?

MTGunner

MTGunner
Hello all, contemplating an older Landcruiser, '97 perhaps through '05.

Have been researching on Craigslist and other offerings. I see lots of 6 and 8 cylinder models for sale. My question, what is the best performer vs power vs fuel mileage. The land cruiser seems to have a great following and the overall vehicle is something that interests me. I will do all of my mechanic work, body work and etc. want a good reliable rig that I can drive to the ends of the earth. Thank you all for your input. MTG

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 4.7 5spd v8 was a dramatic improvement over my 4.6L 4spd LC. The old strait 6 was a great engine but its thirsty and slow. Never run it hot!

t_tentech

The inline 4.5L 6 was a good motor, but has issues with blowing head gaskets over time and gets worse MPG. The 4.7 V8 is incredible, with lots of usable power and better MPG. There never was a 4.6L offered in the 80 or 100 series though. The 98-02 had the 4 speed trans and no VVTI. 03-07 had the VVTI and the 5 speed trans, but are typically considerably more than the earlier versions. I have a 01 and am very happy with mine. The only real way to decide for you is to get out and go drive each one and see what you like and don't like. Hope this helps!

Upland80

Adventurer
There are many other considerations to make besides the v8 vs. 1fz-fe. It really boils down to your intended use. If you're looking for the ultimate in off-road prowess with solid front axle and available lockers with the "classic " look...go for the 80! If you're looking for a mostly freeway driver that is capable off road and don't mind the pedestrian profile...get the 100.

JLee

Adventurer
There are many other considerations to make besides the v8 vs. 1fz-fe. It really boils down to your intended use. If you're looking for the ultimate in off-road prowess with solid front axle and available lockers with the "classic " look...go for the 80! If you're looking for a mostly freeway driver that is capable off road and don't mind the pedestrian profile...get the 100.

A 100 can do a lot more than mostly freeway - I'm not sure that phrasing properly does it justice.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
A 100 can do a lot more than mostly freeway - I'm not sure that phrasing properly does it justice.
I was thinking the same reading it. The 100 and 200 are very good trucks, I think a built up 100 is a very sharp truck.

KING_PALM

91 FJ80 and a 99 UZJ100. love the UZJ100 just a little bit more.
I've owned a lot of solid axle rigs and a few IFS... the solid axle rigs don't have enough advantage for what I do over the IFS.. plus V8 is nice!

4Beast

Observer

Obvious 80 bias showing here. The 80 and 100 are virtually the same size, so that's not a consideration. The V8 5Sp is an unbelievable reliable and smooth drivetrain. If you are thinking about MPG on either of them, you are barking up the wrong tree, especially if you modify them (as I feel all of them should be :) On long trips I do well to get 13 MPG. I would say that if you have any long distance driving in your plans then the 100 is a no brainer, I can cruise in absolute comfort at 75-80 fully loaded with a roof top tent (not that I necessarily recommend that) in a lifted and heavier than stock rig, and even with the V8 it grumbles a bit when I'm in the mountains, but in a 6 Cyl, it would just never happen. However if you want an around town, and bang down some gnarly trails rig, get an 80, put it on 37's, modify the hell out of it (gears, armor etc) and it would be virtually unstoppable.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Get a LC 80 and put a 2.8l Cummins crate engine in it....problem solved.

^I like this plan!

Like others have said, the choice between and 80 and 100 boils down to how you want to use your vehicle. I sold a dual transfer case (triple stick) Tacoma when I bought my 80. Man, this truck's suspension works so much better than the IFS on the trail. Even with my cheap OME suspension, I keep all 4 tires on the ground better than my custom suspension (mid travel front, long travel rear) Tacoma ever could. On the road, the solid axle drives just as well as my IFS drove as well. On top of that, I have the 1HDT diesel engine, so I get better fuel mileage with the 80 on 35s than I got in the Tacoma on 33s to boot! (My 1HDT with a GTurbo at 23PSI, driving 80-90 mph on the freeway gets around 19mpg. I could get low to mid 20s if traffic around here was slower!) But, I wheel my rig. I like overlanding type stuff as well but I don't consider it a real trip unless there are at least a few real obstacles.

zimm

Expedition Leader
100 v8 5 speed. not as much for the mileage as the gear ratio gaps. you wont notice 4 v 5 speed wheeling, but you will notice fully loaded with a trailer on long fast mountain grades.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I briefly had a Land Cruiser 80 with the straight 6. It drive me nuts! I was used the the under-powered Land Rover V8's and I knew how to squeeze more power out of them but this LC 6 cyl was a total dog. If I were to ever purchase a Land Cruiser again, it would definitely be one with a V8. I can forgive a diesel for being slow but at least they have torque.

dcoy

Adventurer
You could always do the '80 with Toyota V8 (as per Slee). Personally, if I were to do it over, I would get a 1HDT instead of the Vortec for my '60 (easier said than done). All Toyota would probably have been preferable to a "hybrid" approach, which has been getting competent mechanics quite a challenge.

zimm

Expedition Leader
You could always do the '80 with Toyota V8 (as per Slee). Personally, if I were to do it over, I would get a 1HDT instead of the Vortec for my '60 (easier said than done). All Toyota would probably have been preferable to a "hybrid" approach, which has been getting competent mechanics quite a challenge.

whats so hard about working on it?

dcoy

Adventurer
whats so hard about working on it?

Good point. I'm not quite ready, free time and experience wise, to tackle the level of work that it's required lately. Will be getting more time soon to start doing my own work on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles