Replacing "glow chips" in Campfire in a can

EricGagne

Adventurer
Does anyone have a suggestion for replacing the chips in a Campfire In a Can ? Mine have pretty much all turned into dust over the years and since the company is not really in business anymore I cannot buy replacement from them.

huachuca

Adventurer
Never cared for the ceramic logs in mine so replaced them with fire beads. I think around $30 shipped on Amazon and ten lbs was more than enough

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I've never specifically had camp fire in a can, but those glow chips are commonly stocked anywhere that sells gas fireplaces. I think I got some at Lowes or Home Depot a few years ago.

EricGagne

Adventurer
It is not clear on the website but campfire in a can seem to claim that theirs are ceramic while others are vermiculite which if I understand is not too healthy to burn.

I had never heard about beads, do they get red when they're hot? That's the nice thing with ceramic chips, they kinda look like a real fire

Nomad1

Observer
how about marbles/river rock/ lava rock the list is endless as to the media you can use if you use your imagination just a bit...

EricGagne

Adventurer
From the replies so far it seems I can use pretty much anything that is available on the market for propane firepits. It does not really make sense now but for some reason I assumed I could only use the same type of material.

huachuca

Adventurer
cactusjk - I've not noticed soot buildup on the beads as I had with the 'logs'.

EricGagne - The beads don't get red when heated but mine are amber colored and reflective (to some degree). No one will ever mistake a CFIAC for a wood fire but it ain't bad.

Transportation is pretty good - I store it with the OE Styrofoam 'filler' and usually only have a half dozen or so to fall out of the fire chamber and onto the base between uses. The grill rack is still functional if that's a concern.

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
how about marbles/river rock/ lava rock the list is endless as to the media you can use if you use your imagination just a bit...

Be careful with rocks... if there is any moisture in the stone, it WILL explode. It has happened to me, and it scared the ******* out of us :Wow1:

krick3tt

Adventurer
I got a bag of lava rocks from Lowes (less than $4) to replace the ceramic 'logs' and they work fine although the bouncing over rough roads does cause the rocks to lose a bit of dust, but I only used about 1/8 th of the bag so have lots of them left for replacement.

ab1985

Explorer
I'm interested to hear how it turns out. My logs broke a few years back, and I've been wondering about a replacement. The glass seems like it would make a lot of noise.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I also replaced the chips with lava rock in my CFIAC.

The glass was too heavy and moved around making a mess each time the lid was opened. The lava rocks fit around the logs and stay in place and are very light.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Good info. I've been considering the alternatives to lava rock for my Camp Chef version, mostly because I'm continually losing some of the smaller stuff. Re-thinking the problem, I think the issue is that Camp Chef just cheaps out and uses a pretty mixed-size lava package, so a lot of it falls out. I think I'll just go through the lava rock and keep the bigger chunks and add a few more to offset all the little stuff I've lost...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94