Vegas -> Zion -> Monument Valley -> Silverton -> Telluride -> Flagstaff -> Vegas

tte30m3

Adventurer
Vegas -> Zion -> Monument Valley -> Silverton -> Telluride -> Flagstaff -> Vegas

Wife and I (and dog) just got back from an amazing 7 day trip!

Vegas -> Zion -> Page/Lake Powell -> Monument Valley -> Durango CO -> Silverton CO -> Telluride CO -> Flagstaff -> Vegas

Left Vegas at 4am and we were greeted by an awesome sunrise on the way to Zion

DSC00944111.jpg

We rolled in to Zion around 8am. For those that haven't been, put it on your list!

DSC00950.jpg

DSC00954.jpg

Next, Page AZ! We spent a few hours at Lone Rock and had lunch on the beach.

DSC00972.jpg

Our original plan was to stay the night on the beach, but it was so crowded, and we felt like driving a bit more, so off we went!

We made it to Monument Valley just as the sun was setting and we saw some awesome rain showers all around! We set up a quick camp and got some sleep before it got dark!

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00985.jpg

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01015.jpg

tte30m3

Adventurer
Day 2, headed to Durango! Woke up very near Monument, so got a few more pictures before we took off-

DSC01043.jpg

And of course, stopped by Mexican Hat real quick

DSC01046.jpg

We made it to Durango and stayed in a hotel that night. It was right on the river so we took advantage. Onyx loved it!

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01063.jpg

tte30m3

Adventurer
Next morning, we drove the 550 (Million Dollar Hwy) and it was quite amazing! It didn't take long to get to Silverton, so we looked for a nice place to camp and hit a trail.

We got a great camp site next to a creek at the Bandora Mine. We left the trailer there and went up to Clear Lake. It was the most amazing water I've ever seen. Ice cold and over 12,000'.

DSC01216.jpg

DSC01166.jpg

DSC01162.jpg

After we returned back to camp, we had a delicious dinner and watched the sun set

DSC01217.jpg

tte30m3

Adventurer
The next morning we hit an easy trail. It was Kendall Mtn just east of Silverton.

Overlooking the 550 highway coming in from Durango to Silverton

DSC01273.jpg

A few patches of snow here and there... a nice change in August from the 100 degree Vegas days

DSC01316.jpg

My wife loved the huge dandelions!

DSC01142.jpg

tte30m3

Adventurer
Woke up early the next morning for Black Bear Pass into Telluride, then Ophir Pass heading back to Silverton. What an awesome day... one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done and I will surely not forget it!

The climb up Black Bear Rd from the 550

DSC01350.jpg

DSC01368.jpg

Stairs leading down to the switchbacks overlooking Telluride

DSC01390.jpg

DSC01416.jpg

Hitting the switchbacks

DSC01431.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01474.jpg

DSC01484.jpg

DSC01490.jpg

tte30m3

Adventurer
After a nice lunch in Telluride, Ophir pass to get back to base in Silverton-

DSC01508.jpg

DSC01528.jpg

This was our last night in Silverton. The next morning, we hooked up the trailer and headed back to Telluride via Ophir Pass. Took less than 2 hours, which is much quicker than taking the highway.

Ophir is not as difficult as Black Bear, but equally as stunning!

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01551.jpg

DSC01592.jpg

tte30m3

Adventurer
And a few other pictures from the week. I have been to quite a few beautiful places, but this area in SW Colorado can't be beat for me. We will be back soon to see more of what the area has to offer!

DSC01210.jpg

DSC01606.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

DSC01083.jpg

DSC01109.jpg

DSC01114.jpg

DSC01113.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
great pics and an area I have been too and enjoyed also
Just like you we escape the desert heat in the summer and Colorado always rewards us
thanks for posting and keep the trip reports coming

Biker Eagle

Observer
Outstanding.

Excellent photography.

Did the same trip through the San Juans 2 summers ago. Can't wait to get back. About the only difference, we HQ'd out of Ouray on the road to Yankee Boy Basin.

goFWD

Thanks for sharing; great photos. Two summers ago I did a solo motorcycle trip (sport tourer, not an adventure bike) through many of these areas (plus northern New Mexico), and while it was amazing in its own way, I repeatedly kept thinking, "I must come back here and go off-roading...." I have every intention of doing just that in the next couple years (this time with family and hopefully some friends to share the experience with), but trip reports like this make me want to get in my truck and start driving immediately, heh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles