Dead Battery advice

zelatore

Explorer
Going to LED is nice and far less than $200. However a battery in resonate shape should be able to keep the stock lights going for hours with no worries.

I do carry one of the little lithium jumpers -really amazing the power to weight and they can start multiple rigs on a single charge.

As for dual batteries, I don't find it necessary. People seem to think it's a requirement or status symbol, like having that rack loaded to the sky with gear. I get by just fine on a single group 31 AGM battery even with a fridge and hot weather. I've never run the battery down or been unable to start the truck in the morning.

Now if you stay camped in one place for a long time without going anywhere there's some value in a second battery. Though in that case I'd probably look at solar first.

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
As for dual batteries, I don't find it necessary. People seem to think it's a requirement or status symbol, like having that rack loaded to the sky with gear. I get by just fine on a single group 31 AGM battery even with a fridge and hot weather. I've never run the battery down or been unable to start the truck in the morning.

Truer words have never been spoken.

FYI those micro jump boxes are pretty incredible, but I have seen quite a few of them stop working all together. I carry one in my truck, but have never needed it on my own.

perkj

Explorer
Dual batteries are required when you're parked at camp for multiple days on end. I'm one to enjoy remote areas at length. I'm also a believer in redundancy and preparedness. For me it's a necessity, not a status symbol.

I have zero desire having to hike out 30+ miles back to cell range or civilization simpley on a gamble that single battery will get me by. ******t happens just like happened to the OP and the 2nd battery plus generator saved his a*s from a bad situation.

Last edited:

perkj

Explorer
$200? I spent $63, although I may have missed one or two - there are a lot. I know I didn't do the vanity mirrors, I think I got the rest of them, including the puddle lights. I got 16 of these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/1127/2674/

I should have stated I maximized my interior lights to the brightest possible for each bulb which is why my bill came to over $200. I'm one that likes to find things quick in the dark of night. Let's just say with all my interior led bulbs on there is enough light to land the Shuttle in a new moon phase

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
There's a place for a dual battery setup, but I see a lot of people who seem to think it's something they have to have if they want to run a fridge. Just trying to let them know it's not a requirement but an option.

Myself I don't like to let the grass grow under my rig, so I tend to not stay still too long. I'm plenty happy with a single battery in both of my rigs and have no plans to add duals. I will however run the biggest/best battery I can and as noted carry a lithium jump box 'just in case'.

Exploder
...FYI those micro jump boxes are pretty incredible, but I have seen quite a few of them stop working all together. I carry one in my truck, but have never needed it on my own.

I confirmed that mine won't serve as a jumpbox anymore. It wouldn't jump a guy's Chevy yesterday. I switched to the old jumper cables and after letting it all sit connected for a few minutes, his started right up. So, as I figured after the LR3 incident, my Micro Start is on cel phone and tablet charging duty only.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Hi all we are camped out and my battery is dead on my LR3. I think my 3yr old was playing around in there! Anyway, I'm trying the only option I can think of. I've got jumper cables running from my deep cycle camper battery over to my Rover battery and I've got the generator going to keep my camper batteries topped up. I've got a voltmeter and I charged the Rover battery to 12.5V. It took about 20 minutes or more. I tried to start and it barely turned over and the battery went down to 9.5V from the effort.
I'm not sure this is going to work? Do I just need to let it charge longer or should I start looking for a jump?

FWIW many generators only produce about 10A @ 12V when using the 12V socket/charger. If you are using the 120V plug to charge your camper battery you are charging at the inverter/chargers charge rate that could be 20A, 30A or more depending on your camper.
I see you got your rig running but if it happens in the future disconnect your man batteries neg cable and connect the jumper cables from the camper battery to the battery cables in your rig....otherwise the dead battery can absorb some of the available current.
One last thing you are using good jumper cables right? Not those tiny 6 ga things right? Tiny cheap cables may not handle the current needed and will leave you wondering why jumping the rig isn't working.
These may or may not apply to you depending on what you have and how you got your rig running....

Darrell

Amen to large gauge jumper cables and we use a micro anti-gravity jump box to aux start Hughes 500 helicopters in the field. When needed, If it's properly charged, it'll start your rig. If your battery is that low, disconnect it and charge overnight at a minimum, the LR3 alternator will take a month of constant driving to get that battery back to full charge. Lol

Rover on!

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
Dual batteries are required when you're parked at camp for multiple days on end. I'm one to enjoy remote areas at length. I'm also a believer in redundancy and preparedness. For me it's a necessity, not a status symbol.

Agree 100%, but most of the midlife crisis mobiles on here don't need them because they only go out on weekends or the one big trip they make to Moab for their "expedition."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior