BlairB's 2008 4Runner- Long Travel Expo Rig

BlairB

Observer
As I slowly clean up from the photobucket cluster I realized that I never actually posted a build thread on here! Better late than never.

I was lucky enough to get this 4Runner new, and right now it sits at 85,000 miles with quite a few of those miles being on dirt roads and trails. Currently it is not a daily driver, so it is on full-time camping and off road trip duty for the wife and I.

The Rig

fZcvqyy.jpg

AxtS4wj.jpg

The Trio

lUewFmk.jpg

The Build Details

Suspension/Tires/Etc...
  • Total Chaos +2" Long Travel Race Kit
  • King 2.5 LT Coilovers
  • Timbren Bumpstops
  • King 2.5 Extended Travel Adjustable Rear Shocks
  • Custom CSS 300/240 Variable Rear Coils
  • Rear Medic Links
  • Overland Warehouse Brake Relocation Bracket
  • 4crawler 1.5" Body Lift
  • Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers (rear)
  • FJ Cruiser Wheels- Black
  • LT255/80/17 BFG MT KM2's
Armor/Reinforcement
  • Demello 3-Hoop Winch Front Bumper
  • 4x4 Labs Rear Bumper
  • Downey Skid (full RCI skids waiting to be installed)
  • RCI Gas Tank
  • DMZ Fab Motor Mount Gussets
  • Total Chaos Spindle Gussets
  • Total Chaos Coil Tower Gussets
  • Total Chaos Cam Tabs
  • the_josh Rear Lower Arm Mounts
  • the_josh Heimed Lower Arms
  • Shrockworks Sliders
  • Kurtfab Diff Bracket
Outfitting
  • Engo 10k Winch
  • Viking Synthetic 5/16" Winch Line w/ Safety Thimble
  • Baja Rack
  • MaxTrax
  • Dirty Parts Dual Battery Kit
  • Custom Rear Drawer and Fridge Slide
  • Edgestar 43qt Fridge
  • Odyssey 1500TH (Aux)
  • Toyota Truestart (Main)
  • "The Source" 10lb CO2 Tank
  • 48" Hi Lift
  • Rainger Barrier Net
  • 10gal Frontrunner Footwell Water Tank
Lighting
  • 40" Rigid E2
  • (2) Rigid D2's- Amber Covers
Communications and Navigation
  • Kenwood TM-D710A
  • Diamond NR770HB 2m/70cm Antenna
  • Diamond K400 Hatch Mount
  • DeLorme InReach Explorer
  • iPad Air in Ram Seat Mount
...and some various photos for visual people like myself.

utuTHS5.jpg

OP7uRIe.jpg

hD2RHbO.jpg

lfUelJh.jpg

c6l92h8.jpg

gDdf2fa.jpg

8tSI58r.jpg

eBEpywz.jpg

n5J0yQZ.jpg

16179840091_a304556437_b.jpg

16181648695_0151599301_b.jpg

15995859437_60d243723a_b.jpg

Last edited:

Skim

Explorer
Cool pics man.

I almost got to build a skid plate for that rig......almost.

We should hit some trails soon.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Looks great! You seem to have a good set-up for the three of y'all. With all the hype of roof top tents, have y'all given it any consideration?

chunko

Observer
I really like your 4runner, especially since there is nothing superfluous on it. I've wondered how those 255 tires would look on a long travel rig and its not bad. Did you need to have the body lift because of the stock offset wheels?

BlairB

Observer
Cool pics man.

I almost got to build a skid plate for that rig......almost.

We should hit some trails soon.

Thanks Robert! Definitely down to hit some trails. I see you are selling the 80, whats next??

Looks great! You seem to have a good set-up for the three of y'all. With all the hype of roof top tents, have y'all given it any consideration?

Thanks! Great question on the RTT. The better half and I have talked about them a bunch and decided at this point it doesn't work that well for us. The main reasons are 1) we are used to and like our setup right now. We can set it up quickly and have the perfect amount of room. 2) We wouldn't be able to fit into our garage without some fairly major alterations to the truck or garage. 3) Our dog is spoiled and sleeps with us. The idea of getting a hyper 85lbs Lab up to the roof was not something we were crazy about. Also, we use our rack to keep bulky/dirty items out of the truck (I have a case with all my recovery gear, axe, shovel etc.. mounted up top), so we would lose a lot of real estate with a RTT.

I think RTT's are great options for many, and often I am really jealous of those with them, but we decided it doesn't fit our needs as well as our ground tents.

I really like your 4runner, especially since there is nothing superfluous on it. I've wondered how those 255 tires would look on a long travel rig and its not bad. Did you need to have the body lift because of the stock offset wheels?

Thanks! I love the 255's, this is my second set of these exact tires. I went with the body lift before the long travel so it would better fit the tall/skinnies. I still had to do a fair amount of trimming, but now I am totally rub-free!

At this point, if I didn't have the body lift I would probably need fiberglass fenders or smaller tires. Total Chaos had only set up a few 4Runners before, but these tires were bigger than they were able to fit on non-body lift 4th gen.

rickashay

Explorer
One of the "OG" 4th gen builds. Glad to see you pop up over here on Expo. Hopefully keep updating us with your mods and travels. Sweet rig!

BlairB

Observer
One of the "OG" 4th gen builds. Glad to see you pop up over here on Expo. Hopefully keep updating us with your mods and travels. Sweet rig!

I am browsing expo all the time, so I am glad I finally got my build thread together! Thanks for the compliments, the rig has been great to me!

FireGuy

Adventurer
Dang dude your 4runner has come a long way. I remember seeing it on I think one of the Ester Mojave runs way back in the day. I ran the same 255 BFG's on my white V8 Runner. Loved them.

BlairB

Observer
Dang dude your 4runner has come a long way. I remember seeing it on I think one of the Ester Mojave runs way back in the day. I ran the same 255 BFG's on my white V8 Runner. Loved them.

It is crazy to look back at how much it has evolved! I love these tires, I think these tires are the best fit for an all-around 4th gen.

BlairB

Observer
Well, I would usually be the last person to post a photo of a sticker that I put on my rig, but when you are personally handed that sticker by Akio Toyoda, I think it makes the cut!

iThbIGRl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne