A "Toyota Guy" Buys a Classic

Ray_G

Explorer
You will want the 2" lift for the 265's, most tend to run the 235/85's to keep them skinny. For your application I'd actually consider 245's which look quite nice.

The SD rack with chicken coop flooring is the way to go. See my sig line for how all that looks on a D1. Tried and true setup that looks correct.

Baseline the fluids and enjoy it.

If she isn't wheeling it much an ARB would make a decent choice for animal strike protection and to provide a winch mount. Otherwise keep your eyes out on forums like Discoweb and you'll see Rovertym and other offerings.

For seats, consider decent covers like Knightsbridge canvas or wet okles to reinvigorate the interior.

For fuel transport....I would go rotopax flat on the rack, vice hanging stuff on the rear door, but that's personal pref to a degree.

As noted above Dweb is the resource for any issue on that platform. It is not a polite forum, it self regulates and using search will give you all the answers you need.

I'd say I'm sorry your SO loved the truck, but she seems to have good taste ;)
R-
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boss Hog

Observer
Thanks Ray-I knew you’d have an opinion!
This is what I was thinking for the spare fuel &/or coolant cans. But I hear you on having a bunch of crap hanging off the back. Thinking of going this route to keep the COG low...
265C87D5-1B80-4270-8B6B-DEAA144F5165.jpeg

mpinco

Expedition Leader
OME 2" HD lift works well on a DI. I wouldn't go over 2" as you get into other driveline issues. Prefer a somewhat wider tire in Colorado so have run 245's and 265's / 16's. The 265's rub on full lock but add some ground clearance. Prefer the flat SD rack as you can then haul all sorts of stuff. A true work rack. Agreed on Rovertym but also note there is Rockware in Black Forest/North Colorado Springs. I have a Rockware front bumper.

Maintenance? I would be surprised if the power steering reservoir and/or box isn't leaking ATF. Change all cooling hoses and also consider the high pressure oil lines as LR ran oil through the radiator for a balanced cooling system. If you need a good radiator shop look for the old school ones as the DI's are copper/steel, not plastic, and can easily be rebuilt for cheap. Shift xfer case through high/low on a regular basis as corrosion / crud can result in difficult to shift to low range. Service/grease the front swivels. Easy to do.

And enjoy it!

IMG_0928-1.jpg

Boss Hog

Observer
mpinco-Your answer is why I asked! Never heard of “Rockware”. The 265s will hold me over until they need to be replaced...
Hmm...x2 on the SD rack w/ you in agreement with Ray_G

Boss Hog

Observer
AEB30F5B-5F9C-4E91-BC45-D528BDA9A796.jpg
So I had the tires and wheels swapped over today. With the LT 265/70r16s, I most definitely need a lift now. Rubs at full lock. But fills up the wheel well nicely and has a lot of tread left. Hard to tell in the light, but a big improvement...

Exploder
Listen to Ray.

Also, you don't want to hang a bunch of crap off of the tail door because the hinges won't like it.

Boss Hog

Observer
Also, you don't want to hang a bunch of crap off of the tail door because the hinges won't like it.

Good point. Had't thought through the fact the tireis mounted to the body. I HATE fuel on top of the rack. But either that or spring for a swingout bumper with holder for fuel cans.

Red90

Adventurer
View attachment 429437
So I had the tires and wheels swapped over today. With the LT 265/70r16s, I most definitely need a lift now. Rubs at full lock. But fills up the wheel well nicely and has a lot of tread left. Hard to tell in the light, but a big improvement...

Rubbing is fixed by adjusting the steering stops. It has nothing to do with a lift. Spring lifts do not affect tire clearance. You will probably need a small trim. Lifts do not fix the need for a trim.

Ray_G

Explorer
Got a few minutes as I wait for folks to rally up here in the great white north before we enjoy the heat wave of 8 deg temps with the extra benefit of light snow falling.

SD rack, chicken coop flooring:
thumb_2016-02-27 15.11.52 HDR_1024.jpg
With the flooring it is perfect as a platform. Flat across the top racks like the modern front runner or a hannibal, or the older Brownchurch, just don't complement the truck's lines nearly as well. You can have both form and function with an SD rack.
IMG_1822.JPG
Tires. D1's tend to look best with tall/skinny tires. My personal favorite (and what I consider going back to all the time) is the 245/75 size (aka 30.5"). Bear in mind the D1 is really best when she is more mountain goat than mud bugger. It is also amusing to watch all the big tire clan go over obstacles and then do it with 'puny' mud terrains. These were the tires I ran the VOT with.
MTs w_white out.jpg
235/85's are the 'normal' tall skinny config that pairs well with a standard OME 2" lift. No idea why the pic is micro sized other than perhaps it is the forum way of understating the tried/true setup.
IMGP1827.JPG
255/85's, these are what I consider one of the best sizes of tire-period. The BFG KM2 in this size is a superb tire. To fit a D1 you are doing a 3" lift which tends to come with some cutting but more importantly you are looking at DC drive shaft up front as a necessity, camber correction, etc (there is no ready made formula b/c each D1 is a little different from the factory). Bottomline being stepping up to 33"s usually comes with work and $. It would pair well with your 4.6, and I like the way it looks but it violates what I have come to accept as some what of a golden rule with these trucks.
2016-06-23 16.55.34.jpg

Less is more. Always.
Every modification you make is a compromise away from what was an extremely well balanced package leaving the factory (proof is in the minimal amounts of mods needed to do the CT for all the years that D1's were the primary participant trucks). Given that this is Expedition Portal, I feel that is worth reinforcing.

So food for thought, ironically I'd say listen to Stu but he said listen to me-if I'm off base here he'd jump in for sure. You have a blank slate, enjoy her!
r-
Ray

pyrate

Rollin' along
I think I liked it better when she was nagging me for a convertible...
View attachment 429248View attachment 429247

I know you don't mean that! :) Count your blessings. While you don't have this hobby all to yourself now, you do have a partner in crime and that is the best. :smiley_drive:

I am a big fan of good maintenance and driving the vehicle doing the things you want to do. As you discover it's limits, then sort out how to overcome those limits. I see too many vehicles modified beyond belief and still can't do what the owner wants. It has saved me a lot of $$ and time with that motto.

I'd also consider a rally of some kind. Overland Expo West might work. It's not necessarily all about the vendors but some will give you good ideas. But it's mainly the people and I enjoy the classes. Pending on your experience, the recovery classes are great and maybe something your wife would really enjoy in a semi controlled environment before you have to use them. Last year we went and immediately went out on the AZ BDR and were able to use some of the things learned which really boosted my wife's confidence.

Exploder
Do you really need to carry extra fuel?

Also, google "camel cut". It's a small trim to the rear wheel well that, when done carefully as opposed to hacking at it with a claw hammer, allows the slightly larger tires to clear.

Go to https://discoweb.org/oldsite/ and select "Tech", then "Fender Trimming".

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I had to reshape my DI rear wheel arch to accommodate 265's. I did not "trim". The body panels are aluminum and shape relatively easily with a few body tools after drawing your new desired circular line. The 265's also likely rub on the front trailing arms. You can adjust the steering stops or just adapt.

Last edited:

Boss Hog

Observer
Kalahari Edition bumpers found at the local pick-n-pull are now on. $106 total for front & rear. Fluid baseline, coolant hoses, & new windshield are up next...I noticed at least a couple of you have suggested a “less is more” approach. I’ve adopted that philosophy on every one of the 12 4x4s I’ve ever owned. I pay strict attention to GVWR and COG. I Also place a priority on doing things I HAVE to do before getting to the things I want to do. Hence these bumpers vs expensive, heavy ARBS. And I can’t justify a roof rack until I get an abs pump. Wife saw a bunch of roof top tents at the outdoor expo this past weekend & her eyes lit up. After I explained all the work (& cost) yet to be done, she calmed down. But it will get there...someday....
15F0F532-1276-403A-9F44-5DB2C46EB40F.jpgED4F52C9-CE86-41D5-9038-C0B305783508.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles