A "Toyota Guy" Buys a Classic

signalMTB

excellent! love it, and you will too. if you can, by a complete parts truck and park it behind your barn or something. Much easier if youre in need of lots of little things. Welcome to the club!

Boss Hog

Observer
Yeah, THIS. No matter what you do... new seals, etc... it will ALWAYS eventually leak!

If you have to swap out transmissions, might as well throw in the LT230 transfer case while you're at it. You won't regret that change.

Educate me please-what's the deal with the LT230 vs the Borg-Warner? I'm assuming it's compatible with the tranny that will mate to my 3.9L?

Anything else I should convert over to?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader

I've had both the BW and the LT230. I prefer the LT230 if given the choice. I did not find it to be any louder, nor experience a change in mpg. To me, the LT230 is almost bullet proof, although some of the Brits seem to think otherwise. I've seem more BW's have issues than I've seen LT230's have issues. They put the LT230 in all the Disco I's and I don't think I've ever seen one have issues on the trail. I've seen BW's have issues on the trail - and thankfully they were past the tough areas bc making it over difficult obstacles with one driveshaft just ain't gonna cut it.

Ray_G

Explorer
If you are going LT230, go ahead and get an LT230Q, came in the later D1's (~97 and beyond) as well as Dii's. A little quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boss Hog

Observer
If you are going LT230, go ahead and get an LT230Q, came in the later D1's (~97 and beyond) as well as Dii's. A little quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this a straight bolt-in affair? Or will it require some sort of adaptor/conversion kit?

Ray_G

Explorer
You need the transfercase, parking brake cable, linkage, center console, and transmission output shaft.

All of which, absent prob the parking brake cable (just get a new one from somewhere like Lucky 8, AB, RN, etc) you should just get from the donor vehicle.

It is a relatively straight forward process-though can be a lot of cursing. If you go down this path post back up. Here's a shot from my TC swap (I'd chipped a tooth on my old LT230 so swapped in a Q). Speaks to the adage "how many tools are we going to need?" "all of them"
IMG_0390.JPG

It seriously isn't all that hard, just heavy and can be frustrating to get everything lined up right. Some tricks to employ that will help if you do it, like taking out the gear and the transmission output shaft till its bolted together-then putting those in and closing it up.
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
Since I'm on my computer, here's my Brooklands Green RRC...
IMG_2583.JPG
A bit less awesome than yours. By way of background it was a blown head gasket/rust bug bitten truck I purchased as a parts vehicle in tribute to my buddy after my daughter rolled one of his trucks (long story). We decided we wanted to build an off road only work truck for his park, so we ended up chopping the rusty d-pillar and such, swapping motors, and all manner of other things to get to this.

We did end up making (and painting) a rear wall section-hence my comment about Tower Paints doing a decent job of color matching the brooklands.
r-
Ray

Boss Hog

Observer
If you ever come across a non sunroof truck in a junk yard or from someone local parting a truck out, you can grab it and the head liner and be rid of the sunroof problem for ever. Oddly enough on the RRC it's a bolt on affair.

I just reread this: are you sayin the ENTIRE ROOF is a bolt on affair?

Boss Hog

Observer
Since I'm on my computer, here's my Brooklands Green RRC...
View attachment 415298
A bit less awesome than yours. By way of background it was a blown head gasket/rust bug bitten truck I purchased as a parts vehicle in tribute to my buddy after my daughter rolled one of his trucks (long story). We decided we wanted to build an off road only work truck for his park, so we ended up chopping the rusty d-pillar and such, swapping motors, and all manner of other things to get to this.

We did end up making (and painting) a rear wall section-hence my comment about Tower Paints doing a decent job of color matching the brooklands.
r-
Ray
I wouldn't say yours is any less awesome than mine! I love seeing what other people do to their rigs. I'm always torn between keepin' it classy (cause I like the classic look of vehicles) or modifying it extensively.

I'm going to eventually go with a Brownchurch roof rack, some offroad lights on the bumper, & MAYBE an aftermarket bumper. Something like this if I can find it:

Attachments

• IMG_4368.JPG
    IMG_4368.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 25

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier