A "Toyota Guy" Buys a Classic

Ray_G

Explorer
I wouldn't say yours is any less awesome than mine! I love seeing what other people do to their rigs. I'm always torn between keepin' it classy (cause I like the classic look of vehicles) or modifying it extensively.

I'm going to eventually go with a Brownchurch roof rack, some offroad lights on the bumper, & MAYBE an aftermarket bumper. Something like this if I can find it:

I'll try and find some pics of the winch setup we did on the front of that truck, basically it is a quasi-hidden setup. Fairlead is just below the stock bumper. Downside is the grill is chopped up but that's also b/c we made no effort to keep it classy given its intended life.

In the choice between tricking out and keeping it classy...personal opinion (that I have violated time and time again admittedly) is less is more...plus these things are increasingly rare and it looks like yours is in good shape. I'd lean toward keeping her that way.
r-
Ray

Boss Hog

Observer
Its a heavy beast, I've put a few in. Take the parking brake drum off to save yourself, 30 ish pounds.

Thanks for the advice, but you have me mistaken good sir! I will NOT be doing the work on this one. At least not something of this magnitude. When I bought it, I knew I would get clipped for a few thousand on things like the transmission, tc, electrical gremlins etc. I've flown almost 60 round trip flights in 2017 with only a breather these next couple of weeks. Weekends (hopefully) will be spent picking her up from the shop, driving her all weekend, and dropping her off again on Mondays to fix something else... I mean, I HOPE I don't have to keep fixing stuff, but well, you know...

As it is, it purred flawlessly on the way into work today.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
And for this reason, I have swapped in a complete GM drivetrain. Engine, transmission, and transfercase. Cheap parts, and everything works. LOL

Thanks for the advice, but you have me mistaken good sir! I will NOT be doing the work on this one. At least not something of this magnitude. When I bought it, I knew I would get clipped for a few thousand on things like the transmission, tc, electrical gremlins etc. I've flown almost 60 round trip flights in 2017 with only a breather these next couple of weeks. Weekends (hopefully) will be spent picking her up from the shop, driving her all weekend, and dropping her off again on Mondays to fix something else... I mean, I HOPE I don't have to keep fixing stuff, but well, you know...

As it is, it purred flawlessly on the way into work today.

Boss Hog

Observer
And for this reason, I have swapped in a complete GM drivetrain. Engine, transmission, and transfercase. Cheap parts, and everything works. LOL

Your thread on that build and what is possible helped push me over the edge to buy Pippa. I'm very familiar with the GM diesels as I rode in HUMMWVs for 10 years. But I'm thinking if it comes to that, a 350 TBI with accoutrements could be the simplest, most trouble-free solution for me. But honestly, after the tranny gets sorted, I don't think I'll run into too many major issues. Where's the emoticon for "fingers crossed"??

MikeinCO

Nice one Boss! I live near the guy that sold it and was tempted but didn't need another project on my hands. I drove by it at least every other day and noticed it was gone last week. Nice score!

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Boss Hog,

Here I am snooping around where I shouldn't be and BAM what do I see, :) Where did we go wrong to make you do such a thing. I thought you had enough of the pain with the 55.. All good, just poking at you. Good luck with it, she looks just fine.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I'm going to eventually go with a Brownchurch roof rack

I had a full length Brownchurch. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with something that didn't have sides to it. I don't remember if Brownchurch makes one without sides or not. I like the fully flat Frontrunner roof rack. If you know how to strap/tie stuff down properly, you don't need sides.

Ray_G

Explorer
I had a full length Brownchurch. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with something that didn't have sides to it. I don't remember if Brownchurch makes one without sides or not. I like the fully flat Frontrunner roof rack. If you know how to strap/tie stuff down properly, you don't need sides.

Hard to find but the stock RRC rack is like that, very low profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boss Hog

Observer
Boss Hog,

Here I am snooping around where I shouldn't be and BAM what do I see, :) Where did we go wrong to make you do such a thing. I thought you had enough of the pain with the 55.. All good, just poking at you. Good luck with it, she looks just fine.

DAMN! Busted! I feel like I've been caught doing something dirty. Lol-I was going to make an announcement. I miss my pig. But this RRC is soooooo sexy. The heart wants what it wants...
If it matters, I still have the '80! Even so, Ige is disgusted with me...

By the way:wth are YOU doing here??

Boss Hog

Observer

There's a stock roof rack on CL here for $900!! USED! I can get a brand new Voyager for that. Im thinking "Plan B"...

Boss Hog

Observer

Honestly, the look of a "classic" rack on a RRC is part of the appeal. Why the preference for no sides?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader

True, I forgot about those!

Honestly, the look of a "classic" rack on a RRC is part of the appeal. Why the preference for no sides?
I've often had to carry something longer than the rack (kayak) or needed something to hang over a bit on one side. If you added an RTT, then you would have to either have to mount the RTT above the side rail height or cut off one part to open the RTT.

Boss Hog

Observer
My rack use is along the lines of "only if I have to". I could see spare fuel, maxtrax, firewood, etc. By the time I get those things & the tranny & transfer case, I won't be able to afford a RTT!

Boss Hog

Observer
I'm really liking the offerings from Voyager...

Attachments

• IMG_4357.JPG
    IMG_4357.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4385.JPG
    IMG_4385.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 323

Boss Hog

Observer
Nice one Boss! I live near the guy that sold it and was tempted but didn't need another project on my hands. I drove by it at least every other day and noticed it was gone last week. Nice score!

Thanks Mike! It was love at first site for me. I went to the Mexican restaurant across from where it was parked and had a margarita while I tried to talk myself out of it. Actually, the margarita did'nt help...hope to see you around!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier