Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front lower rearmost (frame) control arm bushing replacement question..

Thanks again everyone for the input. So I replaced the passenger side a few days back and just wanted to add to the list of experiences. Over the course of several days prior to pulling the old bushing, I doused it in Liquid Wrench and the home made version (1:1 acetone and ATF fluid). I'm not sure if this did much. I rented a ball joint/U joint press set from O'Reilly's Auto Parts (part #67045) which fit very well for this application. I purchased a stack of washers with the same diameter as the rear end of the bushing and epoxied them together so that they'd stay intact when maneuvering the press. I placed this washer sandwich between the end of the press bolt and the rear of the bushing and was able to tighten the press using my breaker bar. I'd stop periodically, remove the press, check my progress and douse the exposed end of the bushing's metal sleeve in penetrating oil as it slowly protruded out. Once it got really difficult, I knew the front end of the bushing had protruded into the press cup and was being sandwiched between my washers and the end of this cup. I then removed the press and easily tapped the bushing the rest of the way out. The new bushing had been placed in the freezer for a few hours in hopes of contracting it's metal sleeve a bit to ease installation. I did put a thin coat of copper anti-seize on the metal sleeve of the new bushing, not sure if this is a great idea or not but went with it. Using another stack of larger washers to fit the larger diameter of the front end of the bushing, I reversed the process and viola, passenger side done. My kids learned some new words, think I re-herniated a disk and O'Reilly's probably needs to replace the bolt on the press...
    1998 Gen 2.5, 155k miles, updating PO's 'deferred maintenance.'

oregon. split between east oregon desert, and the big muddy.
    wow multi tasking
    teaching kids english
    enriching ur doc
    made sure oreillys never rents to u again
    and...
    got that damn bushing replaced
    even on my best days i cant get that much done

Ha! It was an anomaly, trust me. Except for the kids learning some new words. I get a bit, uh, 'verbose' when working on the truck. Just me or does NOTHING go without hiccup?
    Last edited by SlimPickins; 09-22-2017 at 02:20 AM.

Having a helluva time getting the driver side bushing in as the differential gets in the way. The manual says to disconnect the differential but gives no further info. I've read that one can get it in without detaching the diff but I'm not clear on how that works... Any advice?

If you can get the diameters of the bushing, I might be able to come up with the correct tools. If you know the part numbers, that would be great too. I purchased a few hundred Mitsubishi service tools a number of years ago. The one you need may be in the mix.

Slim, how's this going?
    NEW! Mitsubishi 4WD Forum!

1999 V45W Montero LWB 3.5 SOHC "Blizzard Package"

Hey thanks for the offer Mark, very cool! I'll bet those factory tools make some of these projects slick as snot.. So I did get the driver side bushing removed and replaced. Here is my progress prior to removing the bushing.
    starting point.JPG

I then headed to AutoZone and rented their 23 piece U-joint/ball joint service kit.
    service kit.JPG

I also went to the hardware store with my new bushing in hand and purchased some washers that fit the diameter of the front and rear of the bushing in order to distribute the pressure of the service clamp from the rented kit to the entire face of each side of the bushing. I figured this would minimize damage when pressing the old bushing out and the new one in. When pressing the old out, make sure the washers for the rear face of the bushing are exactly the diameter of the bushing as they will have to fit through the hole in the frame where the bushing resides. Here is the rear facing portion with the washer and then the washer on the bushing face followed by the front facing portion with washer and then the washer on the bushing. I used several washers of the same size as the pressure from the clamp would easily bend a single washer.
    Rear bushing face and washer.JPG
    Rear bushing face with washer attached.JPG
    Front face of bushing with washer.JPG
    Front face of bushing with washer attached.JPG

As luck would have it, an end piece that came with the clamp kit I rented from AutoZone fit perfectly through each washer and the bushing.
    Kit end piece with washer installed.JPG

I then aligned the C-clamp from the service kit with a few of the accessories included in the kit with the end piece I mentioned and the washers and used my breaker bar and a socket to slowly press out the old bushing. Along the way, I'd stop and spray some homemade penetrating oil (1:1 acetone and automatic transmission fluid), let it sit a bit and then resume pressing the old bushing out. I don't have any pics of this unfortunately...

Once the old bushing was as far out as I could get it with the press, I used a reciprocating saw and several blades to cut the face off of the front of the bushing. It took a while and several of the hardened blades as the metal in the bushing is f'ing hardy!
    Reciprocating saw.JPG

I then pushed the busing out the rest of the way. This would have been MUCH easier had I detached the differential carrier (as the service manual states) but I hadn't done it at this point as a poster on another forum stated that this was tough to do. I'd later find that this is actually really easy and makes the process much smoother as you probably wouldn't have to cut the front bushing face and merely press it out the entire way. The diff carrier really gets in the way. Live n learn..

I couldn't get the new bushing in without the diff carrier undone because the angles are way too steep to insert the bushing. So I got my jack settled under the diff and removed the 4 bolts holding the carrier. I believe they are 17mm and require shorter sockets and an extension as there isn't much space in there.
    Diff carrier bolts.JPG

Make sure the diff is supported before removing the bolts as it will probably sag some. The diff jacked up easily and gave plenty of room to get the new bushing in. I did put some copper anti-seize on the new bushing to make pressing and perhaps future removal easier. I'm not sure if this was a great idea but what the hell.

I reversed the clamp set up, put the larger washers onto the end tool from the kit, inserted into the bushing and used the breaker bar and socket to press the new one in. Done and done and hope I don't have to do this job again. I can't tell you guys how much I've appreciated all of your input. Probably should have taken more pics but with life/family refusing to halt for my hobbies, I could only work on it 20min here, an hour there, etc. so I got a bit lazy with the camera... Hope this helps the next schmuck that tackles this! Apologies if some of the pics aren't oriented correctly.

oregon. split between east oregon desert, and the big muddy.
    shoot,
    now u have to go back in there
    you forgot something.

u need to replace the diff carrier bushings!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12