Rebuilding a 1986 and 1988

MOguy

Explorer
I have a wrecked 1986 2200r and I got a 1988 3.0 Toyota 4x4 P/U.

The 86 was wrecked. Front passenger side and frame in that area destroyed. It took out the fender (outer and inner cab attached), the electrical boxes their, the batter and everything else in that area. The motor trans and rest of the truck seem fine.

I bought an 88 with a good frame, good trans, blown 3.0 motor cab a little rough but the front end part of the cab fine.

The plan: Drop the 2200re, trans and tcase, fuel tank and lines on the 88. Take the good cab (minus the passenger side front area) and bed drop it on the 88.

So many questions but I will start here:

Will I have issues with the 88 frame and mounting points? The warning harness itself on the wrecked 86 appears fine. Is the electrical boxes on the 1988 combatable?

I want new mounts (bushings) and bolts for the body and bed, what do people here recommend?

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
To be honest, you can swap a 5VZFE direct bolt in. The 22RE is a little more complicated than that.

But if your hearts set on it...

- The mounts aren't in the same spot, and will have to be relocated in the 88 to accommodate the 22RE.
- All the wiring, ECU etc. will need to be swapped over, luckily you have all that.
- Transmission cross members are also different, but the mount points in the frame might be the same.

I'm foggy on a few details. It's doable, just might take a little finesse with the metal glue gun

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
What battleaxe said, if you have a truck with a bad 3VZ-FE (3.0L V6) just swap in the 5VZ-FE (3.4L V6) from a 95-04 Tacoma or 96-03 4Runner. That will bolt in, the engine blocks are almost identical from this standpoint, the transmissions are interchangeable & compatible, etc. You utilize some of the parts from the 22R-E drivetrain, the transfer case probably can be a donor for a Marlin Ultimate (stacked transfer cases) if you want to build something more.

MOguy

Explorer
To be honest, you can swap a 5VZFE direct bolt in. The 22RE is a little more complicated than that.

But if your hearts set on it...

- The mounts aren't in the same spot, and will have to be relocated in the 88 to accommodate the 22RE.
- All the wiring, ECU etc. will need to be swapped over, luckily you have all that.
- Transmission cross members are also different, but the mount points in the frame might be the same.

I'm foggy on a few details. It's doable, just might take a little finesse with the metal glue gun

Motor mounts or body mounts, I am assuming motor mounts.

We have the 2200 with a carb, but I suppose that won't be an issue as far as the mounts. Will the fuse and relay box under the hood be compatible fro the 2200 carbed and the 3.0 FI?

DaveInDenver

He means the motor mounts are in different places for the 4 cylinder and V6. You'll have to cut and re-weld them between the 22R and 3VZ. The transmission and transfer cases are also different behind the two engines, so the rear cross member under the transfer case is different. That may be a just a bolt-on change since the frame mount *might* be in the same spot.

I'm not sure the fuse boxes are the same, there's a few extra circuit for the EFI stuff, fuel pump, etc. That's why you really should take the whole harness from the donor truck. You'd have to compare them side-by-side.

Edit: I may be thinking of the 1989+ truck fuseboxes. The older trucks may still share the same under hood and the EFI stuff was inside the cab. My memory is foggy on that.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
He means the motor mounts are in different places for the 4 cylinder and V6. You'll have to cut and re-weld them between the 22R and 3VZ. The transmission and transfer cases are also different behind the two engines, so the rear cross member under the transfer case is different. That may be a just a bolt-on change since the frame mount *might* be in the same spot.

I'm not sure the fuse boxes are the same, there's a few extra circuit for the EFI stuff, fuel pump, etc. That's why you really should take the whole harness from the donor truck. You'd have to compare them side-by-side.

If I am taking the motor and cab from the old truck (the 86) wouldn't I want to use that harness?

DaveInDenver

If I am taking the motor and cab from the old truck (the 86) wouldn't I want to use that harness?
I was backwards, I was thinking you wanted to add EFI since that's what most people do. I think with the 22R you could eliminate circuits. It might be beneficial to keep the EFI fuel tank and pump even with a carb. Not sure if that's possible or not, though.

BTW, it just occurred to me you're taking the older engine into the newer truck. Here in Colorado that would be against the DMV rules, just a FWIW. Donor engines here have to be same year or newer. But that's due to emissions bull. I don't know what the rules are in MO or what you have to deal with if you don't live in a place covered by emissions tests (only metro Denver is really affected here).

MOguy

Explorer
I was backwards, I was thinking you wanted to add EFI since that's what most people do. I think with the 22R you could eliminate circuits. It might be beneficial to keep the EFI fuel tank and pump even with a carb. Not sure if that's possible or not, though.

BTW, it just occurred to me you're taking the older engine into the newer truck. Here in Colorado that would be against the DMV rules, just a FWIW. Donor engines here have to be same year or newer. But that's due to emissions bull. I don't know what the rules are in MO or what you have to deal with if you don't live in a place covered by emissions tests (only metro Denver is really affected here).

No check on emissions other that for the Cat. Emissions and DMV will be no issue for me.

Do you know a good source for parts?

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Yes, I meant that the motor mounts are in different spots. Body mounts should be the same, but that shouldn't really matter anyways.

If you're missing electrical stuff off the 22R, you might be in for an adventure to try and source parts.

DaveInDenver

Yes, I meant that the motor mounts are in different spots. Body mounts should be the same, but that shouldn't really matter anyways.

If you're missing electrical stuff off the 22R, you might be in for an adventure to try and source parts.
I can tell you the ignition module is unobtainium. Just went through that last summer with a buddy's truck. We actually got the last one Jim had in his yard and he didn't even know he had it. :) NAPA claims they have a source for them but we weren't willing to risk $600 to see.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I can tell you the ignition module is unobtainium. Just went through that last summer with a buddy's truck. We actually got the last one Jim had in his yard and he didn't even know he had it. :) NAPA claims they have a source for them but we weren't willing to risk $600 to see.

Thus my initial comment on a 5VZFE.

I get it though, people like the 22R's for good reason. Personally I don't really care about fuel economy, and I got out of the older Toyota stuff years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles