LR3 Radio/nav is not working???

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I got in the LR3 his morning and found now my Radio Nav system are out of commission. When I parked Sunday night all was fine. I drove my old Tahoe to work yesterday and then got in to the LR3 this morning to find my Radio, nav screen and the clock in the gauge cluster out. I checked the Fuses and all but link 18 under the hood looked good (the plastic top was poped off". I'm going to relapse it at lunch and see if that helps... any where else I should Look?

waveridin1959

I had something very similar happen with my Wife's LR3 recently. The Radio and Nav would cut on and off on their own and the buttons on the steering wheel went out. Turns out it was a bad head unit. Since they are all integrated, the head unit will mess up the Nav as well.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I hope that's not it. Is has always worked fine until now. This truck has been one problem after another. So much for having full service history and being dealer maintained.

waveridin1959

NAV and Non Nav headunits are different. The Nav uses the HighLine unit. Make sure that is what it is. Also check the connections on the amp and the wiring on the passenger said under the carpet. I read where this can corrode and cause issues. I finally took my wife's truck to a mechanic after having zero luck with the GAP Tool a buddy lent me. I was getting a Can Bus Failure with the audio system.

The mechanic resorted to swapping out parts to get it to work.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I must be. I'm going to try to take that radio out tonight and see make sure the plugs are all in right. I also might pull my Wife's unit out this weekend and see if it will work in my car, before I order a new one...

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
So you are going to replace the radio without doing any diagnostics?

The infotainment system works off of a fibre optic network. If one module goes down, they all do. The most common one is the bluetooth module in the back right. There is a splice for the power wire to that module in the right hand sill that gets corroded.

Didn't you have a similar issue in a thread that was deleted or am I thinking of someone else?

TOUGE

Mine randomly resets, turns off or stays putting out audio but no buttons work at all. I have the Harmon Kardon system with voice control and without bluetooth and phone. I have noticed that big temperature swings makes it happen quicker(eg cold mornings have the heater cranked or car parked in the sun the have the AC on super cold) I've had a quick look and all the connectors had no sign of water damage or bring loose and I cleaned the fibres and it didn't help. I would say mine sounds like a bad solder joint or maybe a dead cap somewhere, possibly the head unit as the head unit gets bloody hot especially when listening to FM radio. I mine starts working again after the car has been turned off for more than a few minutes.

Also if this is any help, here is the wiring diagram for both the low line and HK radios in the LR3. http://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/11468/informationandentertainmentsystem.pdf

DiscoDavis

Explorer
So you are going to replace the radio without doing any diagnostics?

The infotainment system works off of a fibre optic network. If one module goes down, they all do. The most common one is the bluetooth module in the back right. There is a splice for the power wire to that module in the right hand sill that gets corroded.

Didn't you have a similar issue in a thread that was deleted or am I thinking of someone else?

I had the issue where the amplifier got fried with water, no radio volume and no nav. A good used unit fixed that.

This was just no Power Period for about 6 hours then in the Afternoon it just came back on...

I get that same problem about 2-3 times a year. I think the amp gets hot and goes to safe mode or something.

I let it cool down and usually a hard restart, key off, key out, doors locked, unlocked, start again and I get it back. Don't ask me how I figured that silliness out. Lol

rcharrette

Adventurer
I'd definitely check all your connections (unplug and re-plug them back in) before ordering anything. I've had a few electrical issues (one being I could not shift out of park) that were solved by a faulty plug. As simple cleaning and reseating solved them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94