My Baroud tent has the dreaded stress cracks

fishead

Observer
I have a Baroud Grand Raid XXL that's only two years old but as I was getting ready for 100s in the Hills last month, I noticed that there were stress cracks on all four corners of the tent, front and back, as well as a blister on the back about the size of a nickel. The cracks are on the upper shell, the lower shell and, in one corner, on the upper and lower shell. Most of them seem to be around the bolts on the underside of the tent or around the clasps that hold the tent shut. Some of the cracks are under the gel coat but others are not and can be felt by running a finger or fingernail over them. I remember reading on here and another site about another person who had similar problems when I was trying to figure out which RTT to buy. I don't remember how the other issue was resolved by Baroud but in case anyone is interested and/or trying to figure out which RTT to buy, just as I was a couple of years ago, I'll post updates here regarding how this is resolved. I know several people at the event asked about the Baroud and I had to admit that I had some reservations after discovering the stress cracks and blister. I do like the Baroud-the mattress is comfortable enough that I can sleep on it without any problems even with multiple degenerative discs in my back, the design seems pretty well thought out, especially with the fan, light and interior storage and the ease of setup and takedown is very convenient and welcome in the dark or rain or any other time. Of course, the stress cracks might render moot all of the other nice features of the tent, which would be a shame. We'll see.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I don't know much about the Baroud tents but I do know a little about fiberglass and my advice is to not worry and enjoy your tent.

Fiberglass is a composite material, made up of layer of differing materials. The outer layer is a material called gelcoat, a thick plastic paint designed to protect the structural layers from UV degradation. It has about as much strength as paint. Fiberglass is quite flexible, they even use it as springs so it flexes and where the gelcoat doesn't, you get the stress cracks on the surface.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that what you see is a good thing. The manufacturer could make the fiberglass heavy and stiff so the cracks will not develop but it wouldn't be a tent you would want. It would be heavy. The reason why your tent is expensive is that it is lightweight. Years ago I was asked by Hummer to make a special roof tent for them using a process they called "scrimp" technology. Same as they use on a Hummer hood. The tent would have taken a forklift to get on and off the truck. The only way that I know to reduce the number of stress cracks is to use carbon fiber, or kevlar instead of the glass fiber reinforcement. The other option is us use what is called vacuum bagging where the whole structure is cured at a vacuum to make a lighter, stronger structure which Baroud probably uses already. I'm pretty sure AutoHome uses it. Look under your mattress and if it is very rough, then they used a standard layup, if smooth, then it was vacuum bagged and very well made. This is the reason why the tents produced from China are inexpensive and the European tents are more expensive. The carbon fiber tents are the next level up and very expensive and would be the route to go if you want light weight without stress cracks.

jonek

Sorry to hear you have a problem .
I'm in the process right now of trying to make up my mind on a Baroud or an AirTop ?
You are the third post I read about this problem with the Baroud.

For the amount of money these tents cost , there should be zero problems .

I'm interested to see how this pans out before making a decision.
Good Luck !
Keep us posted

Last edited:

captadv

Spectator
They're 99% sure to be cracks in the gel coat not all the way through. On a sailboat you get water in there and over the years you get blisters and then you sand them all off and re-gel coat. On a RTT, there are sealants you could apply, but I doubt it's needed. Eventually you'll want to make a repair for cosmetic reasons and it's very straightforward, many videos on YouTube to help.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
You guys are correct on the notes concerning the stress cracks and some will be normal over the lifespan of the RTT. However OP, if you do not mind emailing me some photos at rino@ok4wd.com I will be happy to take a look and if there is any structural issues we will be sure to get you taken care of. Also please include some detailed shots of the blister area.

EricGagne

Adventurer
Sorry to hear you have a problem .
I'm in the process right now of trying to make up my mind on a Baroud or an AirTop ?
You are the third post I read about this problem with the Baroud.

I don't mean to trash anyone's party but I have a similar issue (along with a few others) with my 3 years old AirTop.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I dealt with this very thing as well. I took it to a local boat shop and they looked it over and said it was in the Gel coat. Now, to be fully honest, the boat guy did say this is usually a sign of cheap and not well done gel coating, so perhaps JB should look into that. But, in the end, the boat guy said keep enjoying the tent and don't worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94