Interesting convo I had "Which would you rather have?"

Outdoorsben

Observer
I had an interesting conversation today and it led me to think. I haven't quite answered it myself, but am curious what you all think.

For camera gear (photo & video), would you rather have a Mavic Pro, iPhone/upper-end Android, and a gimbal or would you just have a mid priced DSLR or Mirrorless, for example, an A6500 or an 80D (something in that range).

I know there are some variables with the type of smartphone and camera but you get the point of the exercise. For more detail on the phone setup, Camera+ or another manual control photo app and FilMic Pro or another full video control app.

My train of thought would be you can get aerial photo/video and you get very decent smartphone photos and video. However, the DSLR or Mirrorless mid range camera would blow the doors off the phone in low light and action style photo's/videos.

So, what are your thoughts?

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Too many variables? What is the outcome of the photos? Are you just a hobbiest and posting these to your travel diaries/blog? Are you planning on selling any of them or submitting them to editorial?

Phones do some outstanding images these days, but few can be enlarged larger than an 8x10 or 11x14.

Me Personally, I do not mind lugging gear around for the outcome it provides. I'd go with a Phantom 4 Pro as it provides huge file sizes for better photography. Then 2 5DS bodies with a few lenses. Probably the standard 16-35 f/2.8, the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8. A 1.4 & a 2x extender and a few filters and I'd be set for just about anything you could throw at me. Add a underwater housing for both the camera and my phone and you could literally circumnavigate on that alone and all of it would fit in two Pelican boxes. One for the camera stuff and one for the drone

rcharrette

Adventurer
We are on the road full time traveling both the USA/Canada and overseas. For all of our travels (even by plane) I take my DSLR (Nikon D500) with kit lens and 150-600mm telephoto as well as external flash. A DJI Mavic and a GoPro Hero 4+. They all have their place and get used but if I had to chose just one, without a doubt it would be my DSLR set up. My reasoning is the drone has to many limitations in launching with no fly zones, crowds, National Parks, etc. The GoPro has no reach for long shots, wild life, landscapes, etc. My DSLR just covers a lot more ground IMO.

Outdoorsben

Observer
Too many variables? What is the outcome of the photos? Are you just a hobbyist and posting these to your travel diaries/blog? Are you planning on selling any of them or submitting them to editorial?

Phones do some outstanding images these days, but few can be enlarged larger than an 8x10 or 11x14.

Me Personally, I do not mind lugging gear around for the outcome it provides. I'd go with a Phantom 4 Pro as it provides huge file sizes for better photography. Then 2 5DS bodies with a few lenses. Probably the standard 16-35 f/2.8, the 24-70 f/2.8, and the 70-200 f/2.8. A 1.4 & a 2x extender and a few filters and I'd be set for just about anything you could throw at me. Add an underwater housing for both the camera and my phone and you could literally circumnavigate on that alone and all of it would fit in two Pelican boxes. One for the camera stuff and one for the drone

The convo was a hobbyist mindset. Not someone who makes a living with a camera but also not someone who just fires away without any knowledge on editing or basic photography. That's a lot of gear to lug around but you are 100% that it will deliver great results.

We are on the road full time traveling both the USA/Canada and overseas. For all of our travels (even by plane) I take my DSLR (Nikon D500) with kit lens and 150-600mm telephoto as well as external flash. A DJI Mavic and a GoPro Hero 4+. They all have their place and get used but if I had to choose just one, without a doubt it would be my DSLR set up. My reasoning is the drone has too many limitations in launching with no fly zones, crowds, National Parks, etc. The GoPro has no reach for long shots, wild life, landscapes, etc. My DSLR just covers a lot more ground IMO.
Spot on gear and thought the process and couldn't agree more if I was in your shoes. Sounds like a great setup, especially the 150-600.

What is the context? My only interest is stills. May want to add that to the OP.
What stills are you interested in? Large prints? wildlife?

lucky7

Adventurer
Daily life. I guess I'm stuck with the 80D.

I suppose I was asking the same question someone already asked. If the question is in the context of MY life, that's not even a real question. Which would I rather have, a camera, or not a camera. I'll take the camera.

Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I'd love to have a drone to play with but the footage still feels like it's just additional B-roll stuff to the main camera you have.
So in that case I think a real DSLR/Mirrorless camera comes before Action-cam/Smartphone. I'm amazed how much better just a pocket camera beats an action-cam for pictures and video.

If I were to give advice to somebody (or me of the past) buying gear for photo/video the order of purchase/importance I'd say.
1. Interchangeable lens camera.
2. Tripods/accessories + range of lenses to cover all needs.
3. Action-Cam
4. Gimbals and steady mounts
5. Drone

Smartphone doesn't even enter into it. I'd actually say to have that first but it's not for photo/video, just a phone in your every day life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles