What is an "Arsenal"

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
What do you call and what does the media and public think is a private arsenal? How about the courts? If a kid steals my rusty .22 and 400 rounds of "hollow point high velocity automatic ammunition" that sounds bad. Where is the threshold?

onemanarmy

Explorer
Not sure what the point of this post is, but the 'media' will always use words that get the most views and clicks. No base in reality.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Triplesnake

Adventurer
It depends on your perspective. To some of my more left leaning relatives, I'd be a gun crazed maniac who must be preparing for the next civil war with all of my evil assault weapons and stacks of deadly cop killer bullets. To some other folks I know, my modest stock of weapons and ammo might seem "cute" in scope.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Webster's defines 'arsenal'. I'd stick with that.

I guess the real question is how deep into gun culture do you need to get before the world starts looking at you funny. Answer: less deep than you think.

Systems in isolation tend toward eccentricity. Cultures are no different than nature itself. If you isolate a bunch of birds on an island then eventually they'll evolve into some weird species that is uniquely adapted to that island and to whatever else their bird brains decided was valuable - bright blue tail feathers or whatever. Introduce them to an outside bird, and they will see him as just as weird as he sees them. Same with people. Isolate yourself among your own kind and eventually you'll evolve a culture that emphasizes the things your group values. Maybe you've all decided that it's perfectly normal to buy a Unimog to go camping, or maybe you'll decide that only women with big ears are attractive. Whichever it is, the outside world will think you're nuts, and you'll think the outside world is nuts.

So your little gun collection is someone else's arsenal. But it's the larger culture that invariably determines 'normal', and the larger culture currently does not see gun culture as normal.

Bill Idaho

To the original posts question about where the threshold is.........it is exactly where ever the media can quantify it. The media can proclaim a guy with a single firearm, a pocket knife, and maybe a spare magazine- has an "arsenal"-IF such a description will enhance their objective. (Which is usually anti-gun sentiments.) It is the media's job for self-preservation to flower up someone's "label" as much as possible in order to sell their trade. Many of the problems gun owners are having in regards to public perception, and consequently laws- is the gun owners NOT fighting back.
The frog in the boiling water story applies here.
An arsenal? I own somewhere over 100 firearms, and well over 400,000 rounds of ammunition. Admittedly, yeah, I own an arsenal. Ain't never been in trouble, just retired after 24 years as a SWAT sniper. Imagine if I got a speeding ticket and the local newspaper found out? Call it what you want.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
They already are crazy!

That's putting it lightly

An arsenal? I own somewhere over 100 firearms, and well over 400,000 rounds of ammunition. Admittedly, yeah, I own an arsenal. Ain't never been in trouble, just retired after 24 years as a SWAT sniper. Imagine if I got a speeding ticket and the local newspaper found out? Call it what you want.

Call it what you want!! I call that making me think "Damn, I need a few more ammo boxes filled" :)

robert

Expedition Leader
Ever seen how crazy the British media goes over a round of .22 or a couple of knives? Pretty sure our media would love to do the same.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
To the original posts question about where the threshold is.........it is exactly where ever the media can quantify it. The media can proclaim a guy with a single firearm, a pocket knife, and maybe a spare magazine- has an "arsenal"-IF such a description will enhance their objective. (Which is usually anti-gun sentiments.) It is the media's job for self-preservation to flower up someone's "label" as much as possible in order to sell their trade. Many of the problems gun owners are having in regards to public perception, and consequently laws- is the gun owners NOT fighting back.
The frog in the boiling water story applies here.

A few years back I got pulled over for supposedly running a red light, the officer comes up to the window and I ask him for a warning as a professional courtesy, he responded with "I will give you a warning but you should know better". Moral of the story, don't do something foolish and ask for forgiveness when you know the consequences better than most.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Webster's defines 'arsenal'. I'd stick with that.

I guess the real question is how deep into gun culture do you need to get before the world starts looking at you funny. Answer: less deep than you think.

Systems in isolation tend toward eccentricity. Cultures are no different than nature itself. If you isolate a bunch of birds on an island then eventually they'll evolve into some weird species that is uniquely adapted to that island and to whatever else their bird brains decided was valuable - bright blue tail feathers or whatever. Introduce them to an outside bird, and they will see him as just as weird as he sees them. Same with people. Isolate yourself among your own kind and eventually you'll evolve a culture that emphasizes the things your group values. Maybe you've all decided that it's perfectly normal to buy a Unimog to go camping, or maybe you'll decide that only women with big ears are attractive. Whichever it is, the outside world will think you're nuts, and you'll think the outside world is nuts.

So your little gun collection is someone else's arsenal. But it's the larger culture that invariably determines 'normal', and the larger culture currently does not see gun culture as normal.

Important to remember in many instances the majority is wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles