Welding on the Frame: What Rod to Use

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I need to weld on the Rokmen spring relocator brackets. I only have a Lincoln buzz box. Normally I weld everything with a 6018 rod. Since this will be my first time welding on the jeep frame, I wanted to ping the community and see what rods everyone would recommend for the job.

While we are at it, lets discuss amperage as well.

So please chime in with recommendations on amperage and rods for welding brackets to the frame.

Thank you,
Beowulf

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
How thick is the material on your Jeep frame? Never used a E6018 electrode, do you mean by chance E6013 or E7018? Do you have to keep your rods in an oven for them to weld well?

Honestly never tried stick on material as thin as I'd expect on a modern car (my Tacoma is maybe 11 ga, for which I would expect ER70S2, 0.030" hard wire, like 17V, 275 ipm MIG with 25/75). For something that thickness, if they run like 7018 then I'd have to think you want to be using 3/32" rods, maybe 65A to 75A.

Will want to see photos!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Gotcha - I'd try 1/8" rods starting with ~90A but expect a little higher. But absolutely zero experience with your specific weldment. Just based on 3/16" I've practiced with (which incidentally was also DCEP, not AC).

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'd prefer 7018. I've probably burned a mile of that rod over the years. Along with a lot of other rod for specific applications.
I can get really aggressive with it, and the slag will lift off with a pick & flick. :)

It's not quite as easy as 6013, but for structural welding I prefer the weld nugget, and penetration of the 7018.
This is just my personal opinion, so a good web search may be of value.

A great source for information, and great product is Jody at www.weldmonger.com
I'll bet he even has a YouTube video on this.

Good luck, whichever way you go. :beer:

btburn

Observer
I tried some Certanium 701 and it is a great burning rod. They have others for different metals but the 701 is sweet.

stingray1300

Explorer
If you MUST use stick (there is a way to convert a buzz box into a TIG...), definitely use a 70 series rod (E7018, e.g.) Having burned miles of it, it is the most capable rod out there. 3/32" would be my choice, but you want to run multiple passes, even on the verticals. Make absolutely sure the weldment and piece are as perfectly clean as possible (grind them!). You could use 1/8 (I would), but with a 3/16" frame thickness, and I'm guess not as proficient at welding as you would like to be, it might be a little tough.
Run 2 passes: first one run a nice smooth DOWN-hand. Let it get almost cool enough to touch, then run a nice solid UP-hand. Remember, run the passes slower than you think you need to let the puddle fill. I worked on a lot of high-rises with this method in the last 30 years that still haven't fallen down (yet). :sombrero:
Oh, and if this job is important to you, don't mess with any welding rod you "just happen to have around", especially 7018! Throw it away and buy a pound of new rod. Stick it in your oven at 350* for a couple of hours. Then you're ready to go. Hope it all comes together for you the way you want it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke