Video editing software?

LONRGR

What is everyone using for video editing software? Photos and Videos come from GoPro, DJI Mavic, Google Pixel, Aple Iphone, and a Nikon dslr.

I've no idea what software the guys from Expedition Overland or Mountain State Overland are using but I would like to know.

thanks,

L.R. :ylsmoke:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I have Magix Movie Edit Pro 2016.

It's kinda in the mid range of better than free but not quite professional realm. It's still way more advanced than I can take advantage of though. It's somewhat easy to figure out for basic stuff, but can get very involved and tricky if you go for fancy effects and such. A lot of the pre-made effects and titles are really cheezy so you'll find yourself wanting to do your own unless you want the look and feel of some grandparents vacation video CD. It is capable of better though.

I wish I knew how to use it on a higher level because it is fun to have advanced capabilities if you know how to use them. Most of the time I get hung up somewhere in being creative enough to really know what I want and make it. More times than not I pick from what I have and make do, so the end result is something even I think is corny.

Almost any paid for edit program will take in any video format you can throw at it, so I wouldn't worry too much about the source device.

Outdoorsben

Observer
DaVinci Resolve is free and good but being a Mac user I go with Final Cut. On the Mac it's light years faster than Adobe's stuff.

Montana Cruiser

Adventurer
DaVinci Resolve is free and good but being a Mac user I go with Final Cut. On the Mac it's light years faster than Adobe's stuff.

I realize you are referring to video in this case, but you mention Adobe running slower on a Mac. I have a new Macbook Pro 13" and a Sony RX10ii, and am trying to figure out the best photo editing (and eventually video since the Sony shoots awesome 4k video) software. I was thinking Adobe since there is so many video tutorials and it seems widely popular. Would you have another suggestion? I was also looking at Capture One too.

tyler.96

Observer
You will find nearly all high-quality 'vloggers' and such use either Final Cut or Adobe Premier. Can't cast my vote for either since I unfortunately don't produce enough to warrant paying for a subscription or buying a Mac.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I'll throw in another vote for Adobe Premiere Pro. Creative Cloud subscription isn't exactly cheap, but I justify the cost mostly based on the amount of use I get out of Lightroom for photos.

lgrt

Adventurer
For video I use final cut pro cause well I'm a Mac guy.
For images / photo editing, I highly recommend GIMP (gnu image manipulation program). This is open source freeware and one of the best image editing programs i've used bar none. it is available for Windows, Mac and Linux. The only thing I've found that Adobe has over the GIMP is documentation / instructions. You have to work a little to find what you need but that has gotten much better over the years and there are quite a few good sites with GIMP tutorials.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Premiere - part of the Creative Suite if you use Photoshop

This is what I started using in June. I don't like that you "rent" the software instead of buying it these days but it's a good product and the full Suite has a lot of other good programs that I utilize too.

WestBoundDave

Observer
Adobe Premier, however there is a steep learning curve if you really want to use it to its full potential. I also find (maybe my age is showing) that if I do not use it for while (I use it very sporadically as I usually do not have time to edit anything for months at the time), I forget how to use it properly, and have to google all the time to get going again.

moabian

While I've been using Photoshop since the early 90's for photo editing, I use Cyberlink PowerDirector for videos...full-featured and easy to use.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Adobe Premier, however there is a steep learning curve if you really want to use it to its full potential. I also find (maybe my age is showing) that if I do not use it for while (I use it very sporadically as I usually do not have time to edit anything for months at the time), I forget how to use it properly, and have to google all the time to get going again.
Lol, I’m the same way with iMovie on my Mac, and I’m generally very good with software. But iMovie frustrates the crap out of me.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I've been using iMovie, which is a dumbed down version of Final Cut Pro, but by no means is it overly basic. It's actually quite robust but not terribly difficult to use. You can do various transitions, basic color grading, titles, audio syncing, slow & fast motion...all kinds of stuff. I'd be surprised if you needed anything more advanced than iMovie. For what it's worth, I use it for video from a chest mountain GoPro on a gimbal, a Mavic Pro and handheld gimbal with iPhone or GoPro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles