Our 200 Land Cruiser Cargo Build Out

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
I guess I could've called this another, another perspective on rear storage but no…

Since the first day we brought the 200 home, I've been pretty much dead set against a cargo build out, drawers, etc. If I were to build out anything, I wanted to keep it simple, maybe a Line-X platform and tie down track only. But as fate would have it, I gradually warmed up the idea. After kicking the idea of doing a full build out around a bit, I started sketching and thinking about our priorities. The primary goal would be to simplify the loading and unloading process (read chore) every time we go camping and maybe even develop an improved and streamlined process for getting on the road and out of the garage haha.

Hopefully this is a different enough approach to justify yet another rear storage build thread, and just in case my project can be of inspiration or assistance to anyone thinking about jumping into their own project.

When I did the cargo build out in the 80, I had different priorities and pretty much completely overbuilt almost every aspect of it. My plan for the 200 will now cater to updated priorities.

Some of my considerations, design ideas and components I was pretty much set on were:

• Pretty much all 1/2" Baltic birch construction to keep weight to a minimum and still allow me to stay (mostly) within my comfort zone of the wood shop
• Coating in Line-X
• Standard 500lb. left & right locking slides
• One set for our fridge and one for a smaller drawer under the fridge
• Trying to optimize storage of the Pelican cases we already own and/or make some room for new ones or lighter weight inexpensive bins/containers
• Water & propane storage
• Attic to optimize more of cargo area
• Center, “flex area” to be used for housing our chuck box or a drawer insert or cases or…

Sketchup drawing of our early design, some initial cuts and verifying some measurements. pre-paining the inside of the folding table cubby prior to assembly and filling some screw holes:

Attachments

• IMG_5235.JPG
    IMG_5235.JPG
    452.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5239.jpg
    IMG_5239.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5325.jpg
    IMG_5325.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5327.jpg
    IMG_5327.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 63
  • One slide 1.jpg
    One slide 1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
Thanks Guys!

The side trim wings will feature rear-mounted, modular faceplates. The right side will feature mostly switches and the left side will feature mostly AC, DC, USB outlets and Solar panel inputs. The metal face plates (not shown) will mount to threaded inserts I mounted and flushed in with bondo and I cut out the holes for recessed plates/switches with a router:

Attachments

• IMG_5305.jpg
    IMG_5305.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5328.jpg
    IMG_5328.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5566.jpg
    IMG_5566.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
The drawer/fridge slide section will feature piggybacked 36" dual locking slides. I prefer two locking slides (left & right) to a single locking slide per component. The drawer below the fridge will be able to slide out independently of the fridge slide or after the fridge is slid out. The lower drawer will feature a worktop in a sliding track. I chose this over a hinged lid so I can push part or all of the worktop back into the main enclosure without blocking access to the drawer from the right or view when opened. Plus we can open just part of it while retaining as much work area as we like.

Attachments

• IMG_5515.jpg
    IMG_5515.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5535.jpg
    IMG_5535.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5518.jpg
    IMG_5518.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5519.jpg
    IMG_5519.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5522.jpg
    IMG_5522.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5500.jpg
    IMG_5500.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5499.jpg
    IMG_5499.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5565.jpg
    IMG_5565.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 42

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
The center section was primarily designed to hold our chuck box, but I wanted the versatility of possible building a little drop in drawer section or a couple Pelican cases or six Ziploc Weathergard boxes. I'll probably mount a few strips of track type tie down to hold whatever we put there down.

The cubby below that is for our folding table.

The thin section on the right is designed to hold either three MWC's or two MWC's and a 6lb. propane tank.

Attachments

• IMG_5567.jpg
    IMG_5567.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5571.jpg
    IMG_5571.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5574.jpg
    IMG_5574.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5578.jpg
    IMG_5578.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5576.jpg
    IMG_5576.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6218.jpg
    IMG_6218.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 52

JCDriller

Adventurer
Really nice build. I like your sliding work top, very nice design. I also like how you mounted your dual slides. I'm assuming you tapped the aluminum, screwed in one slide then attached the other slide with a nut on the same bolt. Does this sound like what you did? Also is that just bondo filling the holes in your aluminum sliding worktop track?

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
Really nice build. I like your sliding work top, very nice design. I also like how you mounted your dual slides. I'm assuming you tapped the aluminum, screwed in one slide then attached the other slide with a nut on the same bolt. Does this sound like what you did? Also is that just bondo filling the holes in your aluminum sliding worktop track?

Thanks and yes. I drilled and tapped any holes that didnt line up on both slides and used really short screws and drilled through on the only two that did and through bolted. Yep, just bondo:D

Great concept and craftsmanship
thanks Ralph hoping to have some part of this mounted in the rig by MRV17...

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Any updates? Really clean thus far. Looking for inspiration for my WK2 for next year's adventures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles