Type A personality storage build

dbrinkmann

Observer
Thanks for noticing the P38! Yeah I don't ever have to worry about finding my vehicle on the trail, even at Land Rover Rally's the P38 is the rarest vehicle there. Everything is harder due to a lack of aftermarket parts but the vehicle has rarely let me down and is surprisingly flexy with little modifications. Getting ready to change out the shocks to 12" travel front and 10" travel rear...can't wait to see how much that improves things on the trails here in Colorado.

Took some more pictures tonight. Haven't attached the drawer faces yet, they are poly'd and ready to be attached (which is why the gap isn't uniform around the edges) just not sure if I want to use wood screws from the backside or whether i will be attaching anything like a handle to the front that would hold the face on. Thoughts? What else to add? Getting ready to order parts to build another one of these shortly for a friend.

IMG_3878.jpgIMG_3879.jpgIMG_3880.jpgIMG_3881.jpgIMG_3882.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
A couple of wood screws with washers, combined with an oversized hole in the Baltic birch drawer front, will allow you to make any final gap adjustments that may be necessary. But I'll bet that anyone that dovetailed their drawers already knew that!

On your Mark II edition there would be nothing wrong with just finishing the birch front and letting it be the finished face, IMHO.

I would be interested in the final weight of the project, if you get a chance to weigh it.

Again, nice work!

wilson

Observer
I recently purchased a bunch of material from 80/20 for a similar project. Can you share the part# for your corner fasteners? I have not seen those before.

dbrinkmann

Observer
I'm not satisfied with the stiffness of the corner components I have been using and will be making some modifications in the next couple weeks to test a new design. In the meantime I did a test fitting of this drawer system into a friends 4runner to see how well it fit.

IMG_4163.jpgIMG_4164.jpgIMG_4169.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Do the backs of your drawers fit the same way your fronts do?

I like the 8020 stuff, it's a fine erector set. The rails sort of bug me though as a lot of wasted cubic inches. I'd be looking for ways to fit a flat-folding camp or side table into that otherwise null space. Find a way to recoup that space.

/but I always pack too much gear.

dbrinkmann

Observer
These corners I posted a link to suck, don’t use them. They leave a very small gap which creates flex in the unit. I wrote the manufacturer who was uninterested in fixing their mold to fix what I consider to be a defect as too much material sticks out on 2 sides of the corner and creates the gap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles