Possibly found a 60

swiclone

looking for a long time for a 60, forgive me if this is not in the right place etc. I dont post on this forum very often.....Owner says rebuilt motor and trans, rust on tail gate as well as over rear wheels. Im going to look at it tommorrow hopefully. Wanting to use it as a daily driver (12 miles a day) and fun vehicle. Worth the chips? again sorry if this should be somewhere else. https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/d/1983-land-cruiser-fj60/6231143309.html

mtndude23

Observer
Looks like it's in pretty good shape, has a lot of extra parts on it. If the frame is solid, I'd buy it. It's hard to find one without any rust on it. So you pretty much have to be ready to do some rust repair.

If it's rust free (which it probably isn't if it has lived it's life in the salty midwest), I'd buy it in a heart beat. It looks very clean otherwise.

And you know the difference between rust and rot, right? One is easy to repair, the other can be very costly.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I was thinking it was a good deal until I saw it came with a WENCH!! Now it's a GREAT deal. Sign me up!

But seriously, it does look like a very worthwhile candidate. Flip the rear seats and look for rot under them and around the wheel wells on the inside, and also check the frame from where it starts to climb up to go over the rear axle and on towards the back. The inside of the frame in this area is rarely in good shape. The C-channel of the frame is very strong, so there is usually no problem repairing the inside of the boxed frame. If it is rusted on the top, bottom or outside as well, it will require major work. Still doable, but it would want a couple of thousand off the price.

Arktikos

Explorer
Good luck with that one. Unless the wench is really hot, I'd pass.

A jacked up, armored LC 60 with its dipsomaniac 2F as a DD- what, you got stock in Exxon?

It does have some nice features, for sure, like that rear ARB bumper.

But, probably a lot of body rust lurking under the ugly dark paint below, and 7K is A lot of scratch for basically just that nice body style, which in this case doesn't quite look good IMO, thanks to the paint and poor choice of aftermarket wheels.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Something is going on with the typical rust areas. Rear fender wheels and bottom of tailgate. Look very closely. Good luck.

Jeffrey Patrick

If the rust ends up being extensive, keep looking. There are lots of nice 60's always popping up in southwest locations like AZ that often have far less rust issues. Rust is the 60's worst enemy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94