Arb fridge

Coopsdaddy

Observer
I would like to get a 50 qt arb for my 2000 4runner but dont want to leave it on all the time,it would be used about 6 times a month on avg for camps,hunts and mostly kids ballgames along with a awning and grill.I have a factory 12 volt port in back.Would it hurt vehyor fridge to just unplug durjng week when not in use?

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I don't see why it would be a problem not to have it plugged in. These fridges are accustomed to periods of downtime, I doubt many people use them (or have them lugged in) 24/7.

john61ct

Adventurer
Just wipe it clean and keep the door cracked.

But pre-chill everything you put in it, ideally also fill the empty space with frozen water jugs (85% full) the night before.

All but the longest drives will just keep things cold, not chill from warm.

KENPERK

what I found out is to plug it into 110v for a couple hours before you load it, cools faster. pre chill or freeze what you need take.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Just wipe it clean and keep the door cracked.
This cannot be stressed enough, make sure it's dry if you leave it closed for long periods unplugged. They will get funky smelling otherwise.

But pre-chill everything you put in it, ideally also fill the empty space with frozen water jugs (85% full) the night before.

All but the longest drives will just keep things cold, not chill from warm.
This is good, too. Fridges don't cool down instantly as though you're filling a cooler with ice. You have to turn it on and let it run a while to cool the air inside. I personally leave it running unless it's going to be off for more than a week or so. Otherwise I'll either make sure I'm driving the truck, using a battery charger or have it plugged into 120V. In the summer I'll let it run for weeks with Coke, water or/and beer for whatever things.

ericvs

Whenever I am going to leave my fridge unplugged, I empty it, clean it and then just pull the lid off and store it that way. Also, what I have also done if I don't want it in my vehicle, but don't feel like unloading/cleaning it is just take it inside and plug it into the wall in the house, then I have a mini-beer fridge and it makes me feel fancy. Then when I am ready to put it back in the truck, I just reverse the last steps and I am good to go, no need to pre-chill or re-load it etc.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
On the ARB, the locking handle flips over and allows the lid to rest on it, leaving an open space for the fridge to dry and stay vented. Make sure you fully unplug the fridge or the interior LED will drain your battery. (Even if you press an hold the power to shut the fridge down - a design bug IMO).

I do this right after I empty the fridge from a trip and never had issues with mold, mildew or odors.

Coopsdaddy

Observer
Any regrets?i just think this would be so much better than dealing with ice chest at all these softball,football,and soccor games.Plus if i quarter a deer or have some fish i can wrap up and get it cool.

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
My light stays off with the fridge plugged in and using the power button to power down. Maybe they improved the design.
I leave mine strapped down and plugged (screwed) into the dedicated ARB plug. Mine is a 50. I agree completely with wiping down the interior when you shut it off. I returned from a trip, removed all the perishable food and powered it down. I left bottled water and some soft drinks in it. It was closed up tight but because there was frost on the inside, and when it defrosted it got funky....
Now when off, I prop the lid up with a cooler lid piece I bought at Cabela' for $3 or $4.
IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0370.jpg
Can't figure out why my photos now flip upside down

Attachments

• IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 39

ericvs

Any regrets?i just think this would be so much better than dealing with ice chest at all these softball,football,and soccor games.Plus if i quarter a deer or have some fish i can wrap up and get it cool.

Nope, not one (I guess I have one and it is not getting a fridge sooner in my life). Me personally I was so sick of dealing with ice, soaking burgers, water etc etc etc. Fridge lives in the truck, cold drinks/snacks all the time never have to worry about having to get ice. I know others do just fine with an ice chest, but I wouldn't trade this fridge (and the $) for another ice chest.

Coopsdaddy

Observer
Im sold,now to find the best deal,looks like ok4wd throws in a transit cover,but i also found one for 772 new without bag,both free shipping,im needing to get a arb 2000 awning as well.I could wait till holidays

TwinStick

Explorer
I got both of ours from OK4WD. I got lucky & hit the trifecta. Free shipping on both, free transit bags for both and a free remote 2 fridge monitor from ARB after a mail in rebate kind a thing. I run ours on a 120v inverter when in the Power Wagon & the factory one in the 4Runner.

Bear in NM

Adventurer

I picked up a 64 ARB last year, and absolutely have no regrets. As others have posted, I run mine on 110 a day or two before a trip. This lets me pre-chill it, and lets me pack it ahead of time. No more having to run to the store the night before or morning of, when heading out. A ton less stress for trip planning.

Plus, now that I do not need to find ice, I have started to use it more for things around the house. Party at the neighbor's, fire it up and fill it with beverages to have handy on the porch/patio. My closest bulk store is an hour and a half away. can plan for the trip, and get perishables, and not stress over having to run home, quickly.

So I think that it is more about not having to get ice. Think outside the box a little, and it is easy to find uses other than just camping.

Craig

ericvs

I would say get the biggest one that you can fit in your rig. If you can get the 63qt, then the next one up (82qt) is just taller. I ended up with the 50qt as the 63qt footprint was too big for me, but I had the height so I went with the smaller footprint, but the 20" tall one. You can never have too much fridge space. Mine fits in the back seat with a bit of room to spare for the other seat and some storage + mine also fits in the camper part and I can still use the full size bed, so it is functional in both spots. Sometimes you have to do some creative fridge packing if you are bringing lots of stuff, but the cool thing is you can cycle stuff through since you aren't concerned with the ice melting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94