Axle breather mod

partsguy

I recently picked up a 2011 Pro4X CC/SB and love it so far. I have a question regarding the rear axle vent mod. It looks like most people run a filter of some sort. Is this purely to keep the creepy crawlies out? I noticed the front diff vent hose is just an elbow which I am assuming is to keep water out. Just looking to learn. Thanks everyone.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
A filter of some sort wouldn't be a bad idea for the front either, Nissan just didn't bother. You want air to freely pass through there, but you don't want anything else to pass freely.

But far more important than the filter is extending it up above where you might expect any water to reach. Don't put a filter on the axle vent, put a tube on it and run it up to a higher level.

My diff breather is run in behind the tail light, and I put a small fuel filter on there. In addition to keeping bugs out of there it should also block water from getting in should water reach it, not that there is much risk of that.

Pretty low risk of anything getting in that shouldn't, be it a bug or water, but little filters for those hoses are cheap insurance that they stay clear and allow venting.

SnowedIn

Observer
I used lawnmower fuel filters front and rear.

A shocking amount of dust accumulates back there behind the tail light if you're driving on silt.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Did my extension when nearly new. No filter. Countless OEM axle breather hoses are just open. They work just fine.

The filter is over-engineering paranoia thing. As for what little dust might get into an open hose, it will just stick to the walls of the hose.

SnowedIn

Observer
If it was a serious problem they probably wouldn't have left the front one open, but given that it was a brand new truck with $4k of aftermarket hardware bolted on, I figured I could spare the $10.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I still love the other sites that claim this great mod and use vinyl aquarium tubing for the vent line. Tubing that has a temp rating of 150 - 180°F depending on what numbers you look at. My axle temps after a long highway drive are an easy 200 and often over 225°F with a little towing.

I am brand new to this forum but not new to the ClubFrontier forum. The diff breather/axle vent mod is just a simple mod to prevent water from getting into your rear differential, as well as preventing the crappy little spring cap breather that comes from the factory from getting gummed up and not allowing your diff to breathe. Everyone who has commented is correct, many OEM breathers are "open", but most are not left as low as the Frontiers, that is the real problem, not the addition of a filter. Typically folks just add Frontier or Tacoma barbed pipe fitting part to screw into the axle, fuel line, filter and mount it up in the rear taillight area.

SnowedIn

Observer
I still love the other sites that claim this great mod and use vinyl aquarium tubing for the vent line. Tubing that has a temp rating of 150 - 180°F depending on what numbers you look at. My axle temps after a long highway drive are an easy 200 and often over 225°F with a little towing.

I've always just used fuel line for mine.

I wish more manufacturers did what Mitsubishi did with the Montero Sport/Pajero - it had flexible lines coming off the breather fittings that went to metal hard lines, which were all piped to a manifold at the top of the firewall. No need to mess with any breathers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke