2002 Custom Built 4x4 Expedition camper F550

Nomadic52

Observer
2002 F550 custom diesel expedition camper for sale $65,000.

Much more capable than a used Earthroamer at a fraction of the cost.

This was build up on the truck base as a new 2002 F550 4x4 in '02. Original build cost $235,000 and was built for an around the world expedition. All work was professionally done and no expense spared.
-7.3 liter diesel 8 cylinder motor
-50,000 miles, runs perfect
-all manuals to all systems and records of build and maintainence
-automatic transmission with oversize cooler
-22.5 Alcoa wheels converted from dually to single rear wheels with Hancook tires
-dual Rancho shocks
-Airlift air bags in rear
-portapotti
-outside shower
-Smarttire tire monitor
-seat covers
-full set Autometer gauges
-triple radiator fan
-exhaust brake
-Superchip
-electric door step driver and passenger side
-seat heater
-Oasis 12v air compressor for airing tires back up off road
-Ample Power controller for solar
-5 gal grey water tank
-spare tire compartment behind cab
-synthetic oil
-15k Warn winch in rear
-massive transmission cooler
-Bushwacker fender flares
-mud flaps
-LED taillights
-outside shower
-ARB AIR front lockers
-Bushmaster fender flares
-custom aluminum flatbed with several storage cabinets
-Webasto diesel heater
-3 radiator fans
-700 watts solar on roof
-150 gal stainless steel custom built water tank in place of back seat with storage shelving over
-200 gal of fuel capacity in 2 aux tanks and in main tank
-custom Alaskan flatbed camper with all white laminate interior in excellent condition
-2 burner propane stove with 2-20 gal tanks
-3000 watt Xantrex inverter
-Sunfrost refrigerator AC/DC 12 cu ft
- batteries : 8 AGM gel batteries
-Echo Xantrex battery transfer coach to engine
-2 Fantastic vent fans
-heavy steel rear bumper with winch
-new Pullpal sand anchor
-motor lift rear motorcycle carrier
-AE awning
-electric water pump for sink
-roof air conditioner
-all dual pane Windows
-2 custom made sand ladders in pull out compartments in bed.
It needs nothing and is a turnkey expedition vehicle ready to travel around the world.
$65,000
720-560-1178 image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

gtbensley

Explorer
How come you keep making new adds? I love this truck BTW and would buy it if I could possibly manage it....Funds are a bit short at the moment.

Nomadic52

Observer
How come you keep making new adds? I love this truck BTW and would buy it if I could possibly manage it....Funds are a bit short at the moment.

After a quick search I didn't find my old thread. But I'm frequently not the sharpest pencil in the box either 🙄

Nomadic52

Observer
This is still available.
I'm helping my friend sell this and I have to say I'm surprised it hasn't sold considering the systems built into this rig, the immaculate condition, the expense spent on making this the ultimate around the world expedition vehicle and the 57k miles this really deserves some consideration.
I was waiting in traffic today behind first Earthroamer here in Bend and even though it's a cool rig as well, it's got 3 times the miles on it and really needs a paint job to look really sharp, this truck has a lot more going for it for the money IMO.
I don't think I've mentioned before in any of my posts but Randy (the owner) set this up to accept up to 44' tires on the Alcoa 22.5 wheels. It also has a never used Pull Pal that he will include. The storage capacity, 150 gallon water capacity, and 200 gallon fuel capacity in three separate tanks also sets it apart from even a new Earthroamer!

MTSN

Explorer
This is still available.
I'm helping my friend sell this and I have to say I'm surprised it hasn't sold considering the systems built into this rig, the immaculate condition, the expense spent on making this the ultimate around the world expedition vehicle and the 57k miles this really deserves some consideration.
I was waiting in traffic today behind first Earthroamer here in Bend and even though it's a cool rig as well, it's got 3 times the miles on it and really needs a paint job to look really sharp, this truck has a lot more going for it for the money IMO.
I don't think I've mentioned before in any of my posts but Randy (the owner) set this up to accept up to 44' tires on the Alcoa 22.5 wheels. It also has a never used Pull Pal that he will include. The storage capacity, 150 gallon water capacity, and 200 gallon fuel capacity in three separate tanks also sets it apart from even a new Earthroamer!

You shouldn't be surprised it hasn't sold. You only posted 2 pictures (you posted 3, but 2 are exactly the same) for a very unique and expensive 15+ year old custom truck. I just sold my wife's plane jane grey Honda Civic last weekend on craigslist, and I posted the maximum 24 high resolution pics with everything from the condition of the steering wheel to pics of how many keys it came with, the service records, title, etc. I'm always amazed how people assume if you just post a for sale ad it will sell immediately. You need to put more detail into the ad if you want to generate interest - who did the work, why is it better than an EarthRoamer, why has it only been driven 50k miles in 15 years, etc. etc. etc. You didn't even say what size tires it has even though you said in your follow up post nearly 2 months after the original post that it can handle up to 44" tires. But above all POST PICS! When you're buying a truck on the internet, what do you want to see? Pics. I don't mean to be harsh, but if you're surprised no one has purchased it or even inquired, it's because you haven't provided enough information to take it seriously.

Nomadic52

Observer
Oops, ok that didn't work. You're right more pics needed. Let me try again.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Thanks for the posting advice.
I'm under no illusions that things sell fast. Especially when it's for something this specialized. We've had several potential buyers interested but ended up going with a less extreme build for less extreme weekend camping.
It has so few miles because the owner that did the build over a year and a half and built it for an around the world trip that didn't end up happening because his wife got sick and ended up passing away from cancer. So it's only been used for winter trips to baja and some exploring in BC.
Its registered in Canada but we have jumped through all the hoops to make it easy to register in the US and even though it's emission compliant for 49 states, because it's registered as an RV in Canada it's able to be registered in California legally.
Randy the owner put smaller diameter tires on as he was using it more on road rather than off and it has Hancook 275/70/22.5 tires on there currently. But as I said, it's able to accept 44" tires for more extreme stuff.
If you have any doubts as to how special this rig is please refer to my first post above that itemizes what has gone into its construction. I also have copies I can email that is complete documentation of the build process by Nelson Racing, Modern 4x4 Motors in Calgary and Alaskan Campers.
My surprise mostly stems from living here in the Bend area (overland central) and seeing what are similar 4x4 campers are like and what they go for like older diesel Sportsmobile 4x4 vans going for that same as this which has far more interior room, storage room, solar, etc etc. And for a fraction of what even an older used Earhcruiser Fusos (that are built here in Bend ) go for, it kind of astounds me especially considering how clean this is.
I hope I've provided a bit more of a picture about this unique and well designed rig is. The reason it's being sold is that Randy is not using it for what it was intended for and he has a new Jeep JK that he wants to pull behind a smaller class A motorhome and do day trips off road with.
I will be putting it in storage if it doesn't sell by Nov. 15 as we will be leaving for the winter to go sailing and will return April 1 to get it out of storage and repost it at that time. In the meantime it's available to be shown till then?

Last edited:

gdaut

Do you know how long the vehicle is, and what is a realistic MPG? Also, is the backset water tank removable without re-doing the entire water system? The dog has to ride somewhere.

Thanks

Nomadic52

Observer
I’m the person handling the sale of this rig and we have returned home to Oregon. So I’m available to show the vehicle to anyone interested and it’s out of storage now. Feel free to call me with any questions at 720-560-1178.

Arten Fab

I think its a neat truck and really an amazingly nice build but if you're looking for reasons why it hasn't sold... it's a two seat vehicle and that makes it far less desirable than an of the other platforms you have compared it to.

Reactions: Cas

Msand

Importer
I think I saw this camper in Bend, OR last year- sweet ride, I have no idea why it hasn't sold yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles