Thread: Newb from east central Illinois

Default Newb from east central Illinois

Just wanted to stop in and say hi. I'm new to the whole overland experience but not new to camping or off-roading (Used to wheel the Rubicon, camp at Spider Lake, etc). This is likely going to be a transitional process for me/us over the coming years. Right now we have a Flagstaff MAC BR28TSC (stock photo attached since I don't have a good one of ours, which does have A/C. Yay!), which isn't exactly small but I'm not planning on going too crazy for the time being, mainly thinking about going off-grid using forest roads, etc. Also planning on making some trips to Yellowstone, Banff, Colorado Rockies, as well as local trips around Illinois and the surrounding states of course.

That's, say, Phase 1 since we still have kids living at home (12 and 16). Phase 2 is for when it's just my wife and I, we'll move from a trailer to outfitting the truck with a rooftop tent and having everything we need in/on the truck.

As for me and my family, we've been in Illinois since early 2015. Relocated from SoCal (Inland Empire), currently have 2 dogs, 3 cats, a guinea pig, and a horse. Oh yes, and two daughters, 12 and 16 as mentioned above. We enjoy camping and getting out on the water with our PWCs. Our oldest daughter is the horseback rider, she's riding English and doing jumping, etc. One of our dogs is like 16 and is an energizer bunny, we have no idea how she keeps going (Jack Russell), she is still pretty energetic even though she's now deaf and senile. Our other dog is a Border Collie and he's probably the laziest Border Collie ever. We may end up getting another couple of horses so that we can do some trail riding, but that hasn't been decided yet.

So that's us in a nutshell. Really trying to make sure we get some good weekend camping in this year when the weather is pleasant. I love camping in Spring and Fall, not a big fan of camping in the heat and humidity of summer but that's a great excuse to go somewhere that isn't hot and humid.

Definitely a lot to read and learn on here. Looking forward to the adventures ahead!

281985_p_t_640x480_image03.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DRAX View Post
    Just wanted to stop in and say hi. I'm new to the whole overland experience but not new to camping or off-roading (Used to wheel the Rubicon, camp at Spider Lake, etc). This is likely going to be a transitional process for me/us over the coming years. Right now we have a Flagstaff MAC BR28TSC (stock photo attached since I don't have a good one of ours, which does have A/C. Yay!), which isn't exactly small but I'm not planning on going too crazy for the time being, mainly thinking about going off-grid using forest roads, etc. Also planning on making some trips to Yellowstone, Banff, Colorado Rockies, as well as local trips around Illinois and the surrounding states of course.

That's, say, Phase 1 since we still have kids living at home (12 and 16). Phase 2 is for when it's just my wife and I, we'll move from a trailer to outfitting the truck with a rooftop tent and having everything we need in/on the truck.

As for me and my family, we've been in Illinois since early 2015. Relocated from SoCal (Inland Empire), currently have 2 dogs, 3 cats, a guinea pig, and a horse. Oh yes, and two daughters, 12 and 16 as mentioned above. We enjoy camping and getting out on the water with our PWCs. Our oldest daughter is the horseback rider, she's riding English and doing jumping, etc. One of our dogs is like 16 and is an energizer bunny, we have no idea how she keeps going (Jack Russell), she is still pretty energetic even though she's now deaf and senile. Our other dog is a Border Collie and he's probably the laziest Border Collie ever. We may end up getting another couple of horses so that we can do some trail riding, but that hasn't been decided yet.

So that's us in a nutshell. Really trying to make sure we get some good weekend camping in this year when the weather is pleasant. I love camping in Spring and Fall, not a big fan of camping in the heat and humidity of summer but that's a great excuse to go somewhere that isn't hot and humid.

Definitely a lot to read and learn on here. Looking forward to the adventures ahead!

281985_p_t_640x480_image03.jpg
    Welcome! I too escaped from So Cal to South Eastern Indiana, am looking to camp this fall.
    In your area have you loked at Rend Lake? Ive heard goid things about it..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FeralBoy View Post
    Welcome! I too escaped from So Cal to South Eastern Indiana, am looking to camp this fall.
    In your area have you loked at Rend Lake? Ive heard goid things about it..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Haven't been or looked there yet, no. I'll add that to the list, along with Shawnee National Forest and Starved Rock. So far we've been staying at more developed places to feel out the trailer, what we need, what we can do better or differently, etc. So, we've been to Raccoon Lake, Clifty Falls, and a not-very-primitive weekend at Road America.

I also need to get new tires for the trailer and I'm not sure if I want to put some M/Ts on there like it came with or switch to some A/Ts, which should be better on the road and better suited for where we plan on going.

Thanks!