Insurance in USA?

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
What year is your truck? They said something about not being able to underwrite it because it is 25 years old.

I use Geico for my U1300L. Its just a dropsides truck what hauls around a sleeperbox. In my case technically as its not tall enough plus detachable its not a camper under State law...

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Using State Farm and insured as a truck on a commercial policy even though it is a camper. Seemed easier at the time to show them a picture which is all it took to get them to underwrite the policy. Worked with a local agent which I think helps a lot when compared to explaining over the phone to an agent.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
It has been a few years since I was in the US, but Pierre at Sathers helped us when many others said no. He is still listed as current staff on their website but I've no idea if he is still able to help.

Depends on how old your truck is. If it's over 25 years old and can be considered "Antique" or "Classic" then you don't have to deal with the big insurance carriers like I did. If it's under 25, or 20 years even, you're probably going to have to insure it as a commercial vehicle.

I went through a lot of trouble with State Farm, they classify Unimogs as a "Military Armored Vehicle" regardless of which version you have. They wanted to charge me $265 a month and classify it as a commercial vehicle and would not insure it and only give me liability coverage. This was after I told them it was a pickup truck and all the comments given to me by the guys over at steelsoliders forum. Seems as though State Farm has a template for this class of vehicle and their adjustor actually want to get my local agent in trouble for trying to cover it. I've been a customer with State Farm for years and this made me second guess them for all my needs.

A colleague of mine who works on Indian Head motorbikes told me to go to Hagerty. Sure enough they actually had Unimog in their vehicle list, they are based out of MI, I got 100/300/100 coverage and coverage for the purchase price of my truck, and while it's not my daily driver, I can still drive it to work a few times a month and I'm paying $191 annually for my 1965 Unimog 404S. Check out Hagerty (hagerty dot com) before you go anywhere else IMHO. I only had to send them a picture of my truck and I had my insurance card and was covered with in 24 hours of signing up.

I only recently found out that they have actual locations here in Louisiana I can go to if needed. (just not in my town)

Hope that helps.

Questor

Huge member
I've got a 1986 U1300L with a camper on it. Insured in Idaho as a motor home with AAA. Full coverage is $530 a year.
Q~

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
My 2007 Fuso is insured in NC as a motorhome with Progressive. I just have liability coverage, $125/year.

Roverchef

Adventurer
I have a 1990 U1300. I just told them the weight and that I use it to camp in. $300K in coverage for $1K a year through USAA.

dlh62c

Explorer
They said something about not being able to underwrite it because it is 25 years old.

That's a new one. Usually refusal is related to a commercial GVWR and/or DIY conversions.

Is it titled as an RV?
Does the camper body have a RVIA certificate?

You might try Formost. The most you might hope for is a liability policy.

I have a 1990 U1300. I just told them the weight and that I use it to camp in. $300K in coverage for $1K a year through USAA.

I've had USAA for 39 yrs but they wouldn't cover mine because it is an RV/camper/motorhome, so they suggested I call Progressive which has an "arrangement" with USAA for RVs. $350/yr or 6 mos, I can't remember which, for 500k liability, no collision.

Charlie

giantiger

I just bought a 2003 U500 camper, since I have been with stat farm for years, I called my local agent for arrangement, they discussed it whole afternoon and replied me next morning,
50/100/50K, $500deductible, property damage value $50k only!!!! $89/month! I am thinking switch to progressive asap. people say progressive system has unmog camper listed in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles