Propane dillema, running multiple stoves off one tank, safety, etc..

mrsa111

Observer
So, i had an idea that seemed simpler initially. like all my ideas..
I'm trying to run two SP baja burner stoves (because I have them) or another camp style stove, off propane. The idea being that I can mount them in a way that would allow me to take them out and cook outside, without too much hassle.
I like the baja burners because they have a shallow depth and shape underneath that will make them much easier to fit above my fridge, without having to move the whole counter higher, plus they look awesome. I thought about using some backpacking style stoves, and making a metal pan to mount them in, but i have enough projects..

Anyway i have a manchester van style tank under the van, and my biggest question is how to plumb the whole thing. I bought a colman hose adapter that gets me from the tank outlet to a disposible propane canister outlet, then an adapter to go from the disposible propane outlet to the snow peak (lindal valve they call it?) inlet.
So since im powering two stoves I have to run a splitter somewhere, should I do it right after the tank then do two disposable adapter hoses from there, into the snow peak style adapters?

and something else that would help me out, do i need to run a regulator? i'm kind of confused because i thought the stoves take care of that? and if so does it need to be mounted straight to the tank? or can I run it further down the line?

the stoves are being mounted above the fridge, which im trying to keep the cooling bits out in the open, should I be worried about the close proximity of propane lines to all the electronics? maybe make a sealed enclosure for the stove/propane line hookups?

A lot of questions, sorry, propanes not something i want to experiment with and hope it works!

Lots of ways to do it. Do the stoves, etc. have their own regulators and you run the high pressure to them from some sort of manifold (portable connections)? Or would they be low pressure connections that would use a central regulator and then through a manifold (probably a more permanent install)?

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Having the tank mounted under the rig complicates things. With a portable tank I use a propane tree with the appropriate hoses. As for a regulator, if you are using the hose that replaces the 1 lb tanks, then there will be a regulator already built in to control the pressure. I'm not very familiar with the baja burner, since that is supposed to use some other type of fuel. From what I've found online, if you have something like the g-works adapter, that converts it to the 1lb propane tanks, then you should be covered.

I just found this that might be helpful for you
https://www.amazon.com/Century-Tri-...8&qid=1503684266&sr=8-7&keywords=propane+tree. Its a propane tree with a hose on the end to connect to the tank.

mrsa111

Observer
Having the tank mounted under the rig complicates things. With a portable tank I use a propane tree with the appropriate hoses. As for a regulator, if you are using the hose that replaces the 1 lb tanks, then there will be a regulator already built in to control the pressure. I'm not very familiar with the baja burner, since that is supposed to use some other type of fuel. From what I've found online, if you have something like the g-works adapter, that converts it to the 1lb propane tanks, then you should be covered.

I just found this that might be helpful for you
https://www.amazon.com/Century-Tri-...8&qid=1503684266&sr=8-7&keywords=propane+tree. Its a propane tree with a hose on the end to connect to the tank.

Yeah thats what I have, the G works adaptor. I really doubt i can make a propane tree like that work, would definitely need to be flexible or very small.

mrsa111

Observer
Ok, I think I may have found a way to do it.. G works makes all sorts of adapters for this kind of thing. the problem is their website is in korean so its really hard to find what you need, though you can find most their stuff on ebay and amazon.

So heres what i'm thinking..

The adapters dont regulate pressure apparently, so im guessing i'll need a regulator. I'll run a regulator right out of the propane tank, into this adapter..
Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 1.29.40 PM.jpg

then into my lindal valve adapter i already have, like this..
Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 1.13.11 PM.jpg

from there i'll plumb it up into the cab with this extension..
Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 1.42.36 PM.jpg

and into this splitter
Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 2.01.09 PM.jpg

and then into the burners.
At least I think thats the right way. I'm still not sure if I need a regulator considering the burners regulate it? the adapters dont adjust pressure, just pass through.

Not totally sure all the adapters are right either.

I'd also like to be able to take the burner(s) out of the interior, either still connected to the splitter, or only one of them, to run them outside.

To do that I think could get pretty complicated. with my limited knowledge, im thinking i'd need a valve to close the extension before the splitter for when i remove it from inside? And I'd need a valve and extra extension hose, to redirect the propane to another outlet where i can attach my 2nd extension line, and finally my stove.

mrsa111

Observer
same, propane, I actually talked to someone at G works and I can get a regulator that converts straight to the baja burner style output, so from there I just need a hose and a splitter. My idea for using outside the van is to have a 2nd, long hose that i keep stowed away and can hook up to the regulator, since the regulator has 2 outputs. Or just use colman 1lb propane tanks and use the adapters I already have.

Riptide

Explorer
I could actually use the same setup. I have a Snow Peak double burner cookstove that takes two isopro canisters, but I'd like to run both burners off of a single 4 lb propane tank...

How did you contact G Works?

mrsa111

Observer
There's an email on their website. Kind of hard to navigate the site as it's in Korean. I'm having a hard time finding the right regulator. If you figure anything out let me know.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I would just toss the works in the truck and drive over to the local propane shop. Hank Hill can tell you exactly what you need. Then they'll either have the parts in stock, or can order them. They can also usually make whatever hoses you need right there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier