Wind resistant wide brim hats

outback97

Adventurer
I recommended the Costco Solar Escape hat earlier and just wanted to follow up regarding the wind resistance. I rode my bike to a park the other day while wearing this hat. I know I hit 20 MPH going down some hills (it's a beach cruiser, not a road bike) and there was a headwind in some cases. So let's say at least 25 MPH wind equivalent, and the hat stayed solid, no flipping up. I did put the chin strap on, but honestly I don't think I needed to. I have also used this hat hiking in the desert with wind gusts >35 MPH (with chin strap) and it's stayed stable. I own some other boonie style hats and they're great, but they do flop up when it gets windy.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Tilleys are great, but the brim will flop up in a stiff wind.

Tilly all the way. Buy it at a store (our REI carries lots of sizes) and get it to fit just snug enough for wind resistance. Almost indestructible. Dipping it in water will seriously cool you off mid-summer too.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Maybe you should just get a hat like Odd Job...that had a pretty stiff brim as I recall. :sombrero:

Blaker55

Based on info above, I researched and ordered a Shelta hat, model Seahawk in the camo version. Would've liked the green or grey but they were out at the moment. Just got it today and wore it to plant numerous shrubs, weed whip the fence line and go pick tomatoes. It's only about 75 out, but sunny. I was wearing one of my cotton ball caps to plant the first two shrubs and it was soaked with sweat (I sweat like a pig). Mail came, Shelta hat was in the mail, so I put it on to finish all the tasks above and the sweating was reduced and head remained fairly cool. The headband did a good job of keeping the sweat off of my glasses. Wasn't windy enough to check out the stiffened brim, but it feels like it should work. I'm impressed. Will be going for the grey one in the future. I wear a 7 3/8 in a Tilley and did a measurement and found my melon to be 23" in how I wear a hat (low). According to the website, a 23" head would require a M/L. The hat was just ever so slightly large but the small cinch mechanism worked great. I can wear this hat as loose as I want in the heat, or can cinch it a bit if needed for the wind. I likey! Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Based on info above, I researched and ordered a Shelta hat, model Seahawk in the camo version. Would've liked the green or grey but they were out at the moment. Just got it today and wore it to plant numerous shrubs, weed whip the fence line and go pick tomatoes. It's only about 75 out, but sunny. I was wearing one of my cotton ball caps to plant the first two shrubs and it was soaked with sweat (I sweat like a pig). Mail came, Shelta hat was in the mail, so I put it on to finish all the tasks above and the sweating was reduced and head remained fairly cool. The headband did a good job of keeping the sweat off of my glasses. Wasn't windy enough to check out the stiffened brim, but it feels like it should work. I'm impressed. Will be going for the grey one in the future. I wear a 7 3/8 in a Tilley and did a measurement and found my melon to be 23" in how I wear a hat (low). According to the website, a 23" head would require a M/L. The hat was just ever so slightly large but the small cinch mechanism worked great. I can wear this hat as loose as I want in the heat, or can cinch it a bit if needed for the wind. I likey! Thanks for the recommendation.
Second post and great review! My findings with the new hat were similar. I thought mine was a little loose at first but it's so light and the way the sweat band is so perfect I think it may be perception. I love mine! Tested it out on Bartlett Resivior last week. Did 30 mph into gusts and it never moved. The plastic sewn into the brim is perfect. The brim is contoured just right so the headwind goes over and not under the brim and the way the it ties back to the sides I doubt it will ever flop around. Excellent product.

image.jpg

Hard to believe a hat so light and cool to wear can be so wind resistant.

image.jpg

Blaker55

Yo Stump,
Is yours the Seahawk? If so, how would you describe the color? White? Silver? Very light tan? I'm a bit nervous of the grey one for summer use as the dark colors can absorb heat, but maybe these don't? I just don't want to spend the full bucks and find that I should've gone light color. But i really don't want a white one. Too bad the green or olive or whatever that is available in one of the other styles is not available for the Seahawk.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Yo Stump,
Is yours the Seahawk? If so, how would you describe the color? White? Silver? Very light tan? I'm a bit nervous of the grey one for summer use as the dark colors can absorb heat, but maybe these don't? I just don't want to spend the full bucks and find that I should've gone light color. But i really don't want a white one. Too bad the green or olive or whatever that is available in one of the other styles is not available for the Seahawk.

Yes. Seahawk in light silver. $39 on eBay but the choices were limited. The picture did not match the color description on eBay but I got the one as shown in the pic. I toss most of my hats in the washing machine and since this is made for the water it should wash up fine. I doubt a grey one would feel much hotter. This is a very light and cool feeling hat to start with. Not sure why they call it a silver because it's very light in color. So far so good with it and would recommend it for hot weather or very windy conditions.
Here is a pic on top of the Summer Overland Journal and a white sheet of paper for color reference of the light silver.

image.jpg

pluton

Adventurer
Local store had Shelta hats. The M/L was too small, and the L/XL was grotesquely oversize. Wah wah wah. Nice idea, anyway.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Local store had Shelta hats. The M/L was too small, and the L/XL was grotesquely oversize. Wah wah wah. Nice idea, anyway.
The size is adjustable. A built in adjustable bungie cord with the same good cord lock that is chin strap is on the back of the hat. The light bungie is sewn into the sweat band. Just reach back to tighten it around your head or loosen it up for when it's really hot and calm.
I was in swirling windy canyons yesterday and adjusted it a quite few times depending on conditions. You might go back and see how the hats were adjusted because to be honest I didn't even notice what that was for a few days.

image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles