Another LMTV Build... (for sale)

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Well I can't find the rest of the lift jack build pics so here's a little fast forward to them in action.

20161113_150807.jpg

I'm not gonna lie. This made me a little nervous.:eek:

DSC00693.jpg

Still need to do some testing when the camper is done and fully loaded but I'm fairly confident they'll work.

DSC00694.jpg

The jacks will stay in their sockets and rotate up for storage. That way I don't have to lug them around or find another place to put them.

Just a rendering because I haven't got that far yet.
DSC00695.jpg

Time from parked to unloaded with just me is about 15 minutes.

Rebuilder

All pics up to this point were from last summer. It was parked all winter because I don't have anyplace indoors to work on it. This spring I pulled the camper box and moved it into my garage so I can focus on getting the truck done over the summer. Main projects have been the interior in which I've installed the new heater box with A/C components and painted the dash black. I have a bunch of insulation but haven't put it in yet. The other main projects have been building a flatbed and getting the truck painted.

Here's the idea for the flatbed. I wasn't originally going to build one but I figured I might as well so I have a usable truck when the camper is removed. The camper will still mount on the original 3 point mount and the flatbed is mounted directly to the frame rails so there is a gap between the two so the frame and bed can twist. The gap also leaves room for the grey and black water tanks as well as the lifting jacks. A bonus for building the flatbed was I designed in a 3'x5' pull out porch for when the camper is installed.

It's built out of 2"x2"x3/16" steel tube with 3"x2" tube around the outside. The slideout is on (4) 1" steel pins with roller bearings and UHMW wheels. I'll get some more detailed pics.

20170727_204848.jpg

20170727_204955.jpg

I'm using composite deck the sits down into the frame to keep it all low profile.

20170824_200503.jpg

20170824_200914.jpg

The bed frame is all painted now but the boards aren't installed yet. I'll do that after the cab is painted.... which I'm doing right now so pics to come.

Rebuilder

Now that the build thread is basically up to date here's what I've been doing for the past week. Not the ideal setup but at least it turned out pretty OK.

20170902_192732.jpg

After priming and sanding the whole thing I started with the inner doors and jams and then painted the top and back.
20170903_193702.jpg

Then this happened so I took a few days off.
20170904_164426.jpg

Overall I'm happy with how it turned out.... and i'm glad I have understanding neighbors.
20170909_140224.jpg

The color is 2014 FJ Cruiser Heritage Blue.
1.jpg

Next is finish painting the bumper and chassis black and installing the flatbed boards.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
That's gonna be a nice rig. I've spent some time in the Semi-truck version M1088A1 of those right before I retired. Would love to have one.

B85

Adventurer
Looks GREAT !

Give me a idea of what sanding you did ? 80 to ? Sand-able sealer ?

Been looking at my truck and did a little sanding and the paint on the truck sands like rock .

Randy

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Now that the build thread is basically up to date here's what I've been doing for the past week. Not the ideal setup but at least it turned out pretty OK.

Then this happened so I took a few days off.
View attachment 417511

Overall I'm happy with how it turned out.... and i'm glad I have understanding neighbors.
View attachment 417510

The color is 2014 FJ Cruiser Heritage Blue.
View attachment 417512

Next is finish painting the bumper and chassis black and installing the flatbed boards.

Very sorry to hear about the rain in the middle. Hope that it did not affect the primer coat, but from looking at the end result, you did GREAT !

Wow ! What a beautiful color ! ! ! :D Great choice. Reminds me of Arles Blue ;)

Rebuilder

Looks GREAT !

Give me a idea of what sanding you did ? 80 to ? Sand-able sealer ?

Been looking at my truck and did a little sanding and the paint on the truck sands like rock .

Randy

I started with a DA sander and 150 grit and then used 2 coats of 2K Urethane primer surfacer which is high build and sands really nicely. I used the DA with 400 grit and some wet sanding with 600 on the primer and then top coated with single stage Omni MTK Urethane. Once it cures for a while I'll wet sand and buff it.

Rebuilder

Very sorry to hear about the rain in the middle. Hope that it did not affect the primer coat, but from looking at the end result, you did GREAT !

Wow ! What a beautiful color ! ! ! :D Great choice. Reminds me of Arles Blue ;)

I hate picking colors and I was thinking this color was too light blue but I'm glad I stuck with it. Luckily the primer coat had a few days in the sun before the rain so I think it'll be OK. With that said, most of the cars, trucks and motorcycles I've painted get babied and stored inside so I'm curious to see how this lasts out in the elements 24/7.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I'm glad you stuck with it, too.

Good that there was at least some time in the sun.

It'll be a good test and sounds like "no worries" for you, since there are bound to be scratches and things along the way ;)

Consider it as developing that highly valued "patina" :D

Rebuilder

I'm glad you stuck with it, too.

Good that there was at least some time in the sun.

It'll be a good test and sounds like "no worries" for you, since there are bound to be scratches and things along the way ;)

Consider it as developing that highly valued "patina" :D

I figure anything I build or paint I can just rebuild or repaint if necessary. I need to keep telling myself this is a big truck that should be driven and enjoyed and not worried about.... I need to keep telling myself this is a big truck that should be driven and enjoyed and not worried about....

Rebuilder

Tonight I worked on getting the flatbed boards and anchor points installed. It's a little dark for a good pic but you get the idea. Still have a few anchors to install and I need to finish painting the slide out deck.

20170912_212208.jpg

aernan

Observer
This is an excellent build. We just bought a M1078 and are awaiting delivery. Plan to do the same thing.

I have a few questions/observations.
1. did you prep the base gek military paint or just paint enough to get a smooth coat?
2. I see you remove the extra rails. How did you figure out they were ancillary? To attach the new construction could you share your 3 point design? You also mentioned putting water tanks down. Do you intend on putting them between the frame rails? Any concern of freezing or are you adding a heating element?
3. I see a large cut out for what I am guessing is the main entry door. Could you share your ladder/stair door ideas (dimensions, mechanism)?
4. I see you did not relocate the spare and air box. I know it's a lot of work but you could have a pass through and a larger box. Could you share your ideas about that?

Rebuilder

This is an excellent build. We just bought a M1078 and are awaiting delivery. Plan to do the same thing.

I have a few questions/observations.
1. did you prep the base gek military paint or just paint enough to get a smooth coat?
2. I see you remove the extra rails. How did you figure out they were ancillary? To attach the new construction could you share your 3 point design? You also mentioned putting water tanks down. Do you intend on putting them between the frame rails? Any concern of freezing or are you adding a heating element?
3. I see a large cut out for what I am guessing is the main entry door. Could you share your ladder/stair door ideas (dimensions, mechanism)?
4. I see you did not relocate the spare and air box. I know it's a lot of work but you could have a pass through and a larger box. Could you share your ideas about that?

1. I sanded the original paint with a DA sander and 150 grit and then used a high build sandable primer to smooth everything out.
2. I found info on the rails over at the Steel Soldiers forum. Basically there are other LMTV models that don't have a bed or the extra rails which means the rails are part of the bed and not the truck. I would have liked to keep them but with the camper being removable it just worked better to remove them. There are pics of the 3 point setup on page 3. I just used a gooseneck ball and coupler in the back and 2 receiver balls in the front. It's a simple design and easy to make the camper removable. Only the grey and black water tanks are below the camper so I suppose if I go winter camping I just won't use them or there is room to enclose them but at this point I don't plan to.
3. I haven't decided on what type of stairs or ladder to use.
4. You can still have a pass thru without relocating the spare and airbox. It would be small but it's possible. With my design I didn't think it was necessary to move them because a pass thru doesn't really work with a telescoping camper and I didn't need the space for anything else.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles