Another LMTV Build... (for sale)

aernan

Observer
1. I had heard that sanding the military paint is dangerous because it's not safe to inhale. It's good to hear it's easy enough to get off. :)
4. I'm planning a telescoping camper as well. I guess a pass through would be nice if possible but I'm not married to the idea.

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Finally got the truck done enough to take it for a cruise. Still need front and rear fenders and a bunch of little stuff on the outside and I still need to redo the interior but I'm just happy it's drivable again. I think I'm going to fab up my own tubular front fenders since my original plastic/rubber ones are junk.

20170924_160639.jpg

20170924_160606.jpg

20170924_125947.jpg

RD3

Looks awesome! What kind of black paint did you use for the bumpers and undercarriage? It looks good, not too glossy and not too flat. I need to paint those areas on my LMTV soon.

Rebuilder

Looks awesome! What kind of black paint did you use for the bumpers and undercarriage? It looks good, not too glossy and not too flat. I need to paint those areas on my LMTV soon.

I used Rustoleum bed liner out of the spray cans. You can buy it by the quart or gallon and roll/brush it on but it looks a lot better if you spray it. I went with this stuff because it covers really well and it'll be easy to touch up later. My only concern is how well it'll clean up because of the texture.

aernan

Observer
I used Rustoleum bed liner out of the spray cans. You can buy it by the quart or gallon and roll/brush it on but it looks a lot better if you spray it. I went with this stuff because it covers really well and it'll be easy to touch up later. My only concern is how well it'll clean up because of the texture.

I am very tempted to use the product. I have heard the surface under the coating can rust and then it's near impossible to get the coating off to treat the rust. I think the truck I am getting has a galvanized base coat so it would be safe.

Rebuilder

I am very tempted to use the product. I have heard the surface under the coating can rust and then it's near impossible to get the coating off to treat the rust. I think the truck I am getting has a galvanized base coat so it would be safe.

I think the rust issue is only on sheet metal surfaces when it gets dented and the coating cracks and lets in water. This stuff sands off like any other paint so if there is an issue it will be easy to fix.

Rebuilder

Little update on the build. A few weeks ago I put in high speed gears which will allow the truck to max out around 75mph (vs 58) but more importantly it can cruise at 60mph without having the pedal to the floor. It's a pretty big jump at the top end so I was concerned there would be a trade-off in low end performance. This weekend I was able to test it out and I'm happy to say there is no noticeable difference at the low end. I went to this offroad park last summer with the stock gearing so it was a good before and after comparison. All in all the gear swap has been the best upgrade so far. Hopefully lockers are next and this thing will be unstoppable.

3.JPG

7.JPG

Checking the frame twist....
8.JPG

5.JPG

4.JPG

This hill was a little too narrow and steep. I chickened out after two tries and almost backing into the tree on the left.
2.JPG

6.JPG

Then it rained... a lot.
Couple videos...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/OEkXZlHjAF5b3xey1
[video]https://photos.app.goo.gl/NUeLFij3NtBea4bi2[/video]
10.JPG

Totally worth it :D and yes I still need to finish my front and rear fenders.
9.JPG

I've been making good progress on the camper so I'll start posting those pics soon.

Last edited:

GTC-wjg

Little update on the build. A few weeks ago I put in high speed gears which will allow the truck to max out around 75mph (vs 58) but more importantly it can cruise at 60mph without having the pedal to the floor. It's a pretty big jump at the top end so I was concerned there would be a trade-off in low end performance. This weekend I was able to test it out and I'm happy to say there is no noticeable difference at the low end. I went to this offroad park last summer with the stock gearing so it was a good before and after comparison. All in all the gear swap has been the best upgrade so far. Hopefully lockers are next and this thing will be unstoppable.

Hi,

Where'd you get the gears?

Rebuilder

Hi,

Where'd you get the gears?

I got them from Premier Metal Buyers in Texas last summer. Last I heard they were out. Try Bryce Wasielak on Facebook or search his name over at Steel Soldiers to get his phone number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94