Another LMTV Build... (for sale)

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
UPDATE:
It was a tough decision but I've decided it's time to sell this project :(. Just got too many other things going on and not enough time or space for this.

Since my last update here I've added A/C, new tires and did a bunch of work to the interior. The truck is mostly done but the habitat needs a lot of work.

Pricing is tough on something like this so I'm open to serious offers. Thanks

___
So let me try this again. I accidentally deleted my first thread making a little edit on the EP phone app.....

To start, I've built many cars, trucks and motorcycles but this is my first camper and my first military vehicle. I've been working on it for a little over a year, minus the long cold Minnesota winter, and have got a lot done but I still have a ways to go.

I'll get more into the details as I go but here's the rendering I drew up to give you an idea of what I'm going for....

About the truck....
It's a 1996 LMTV 1098 that I bought off Craigslist in Tennessee (as said earlier I'm in MN). Most of these trucks are coming from GovPlanet but it's a crapshoot on what you might be getting so I went with this truck because it was part of the 1033 Program https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1033_program which is where cities get military vehicles direct from the government and from what I understand they're usually nicer vehicles that have been maintained better than the auction trucks. Regardless it was still a gamble and the smart thing would have been to have it hauled to Minnesota but nope I drove down and drove it back. My buddy (who is a courier truck mechanic) drove down, looked it over, paid the man, lubed everything and checked it over, added a hitch and headed to U-Haul to get a car dolly. What could possibly go wrong?

And then we hit the road for the 850 mile drive home...

First pucker moment... narrow lane bridge. Not because the truck is wide but because the car dolly was actually wider.

The only issue we had was this little solenoid would stick so the cooling fan (AKA freight train simulator) wouldn't engage. A little tappy tap on it every once in a while fixed it until we got home and I replaced it.

A highlight of the trip was we hit ********** miles (it's the little things :D)... Unfortunately the only pic I can find is BOOBl... :(

Took us two days and it was totally worth the trip... but unfortunately it won't fit in my garage.

Few notes about these trucks. They drive great. Air ride cab, power steering, automatic trans, I thought the seats were pretty comfy, Not fast (58 mph max) but once you get used to it it's not that bad. No wandering on the road and it's very easy and fun to drive. The bad.... Holy loud Batman. You definitely need ear protecting for cruising above 50. Especially when the fan kicks in. I'll be addressing the speed thing with higher gears and the noise thing with a ton of cab heat and sound deadening material as the build progresses.

That's it for now but lots more to come so stay tuned.

Last edited:

aernan

Observer
Following this thread. Our truck will be shipping out soon and we will be building an RV like you. Nice addition the rear lift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

anthonyca

Observer
Looks like fun. I will be watching. P.S. There is a group buy on steel soldiers for ARB lockers. I'm not sure how much research you have done but these trucks are very easy to get stuck in the mud in stock form. The available Detroit locker in the rear helps but front and rear ARBs would be great!

Theoretician

Adventurer
How did you find a 1033 vehicle for sale? My understanding is that selling stuff obtained through program is generally frowned upon by the agencies in charge of it.

Rebuilder

Looks like fun. I will be watching. P.S. There is a group buy on steel soldiers for ARB lockers. I'm not sure how much research you have done but these trucks are very easy to get stuck in the mud in stock form. The available Detroit locker in the rear helps but front and rear ARBs would be great!

Yep.. I'm over there often. Don't post much but read the forum daily. I have the high speed gears (not installed yet) so it would be nice to get a locker so I can do it all at once. There's already a Detroit style locker available so if the air locker doesn't happen I'll just go that route.

Rebuilder

How did you find a 1033 vehicle for sale? My understanding is that selling stuff obtained through program is generally frowned upon by the agencies in charge of it.

The city only needs to keep them for a year. I bought mine from the guy who won it from the city auction. Still had the TN Gov plates on it. He made it sound like they do it fairly often. He actually won 2 LMTVs and resold them.

Rebuilder

A quick note about rock crawling before I get into the camper part of the build... The CTIS system is awesome and these trucks will climb just about any grade hill but they definitely need a rear locker and I found it's not quite big enough to go anywhere I wanted. It sure was fun to try though.

Lockers would have helped here.
20160618_110216.jpg

Big rock. I also bent the guard below the air tanks so I dialed it back a little bit after that :)
20160618_121406.jpg

anthonyca

Observer
This will be a fun one. I wish I had room so I could buy one of these and build a camper. They will go in way worse places than I would take it with just a rear locker, they must be even better with both locked.

Great find!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I will follow this build as I plan to pick one up here this year myself for a build. Looking forward to more.

Rebuilder

I want one of these beasts.....

Do the LMTVs have a common issue or problem?

Yes they do. I think a lot of it is due to years of neglect and sitting around. Any truck that is 20 years old even with only 5000 miles would need some work. If you read thru the Steel Soldiers forum that B85 posted you'll get the idea. The good thing is those guys really know what they're talking about so help is easy to get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94