Performance chip

fg4oz

Adventurer
Anyone in Brisbane know anyone who does performance chip enhancements? Mines got a dp chip and think it's worse than my other truck which is standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The problem with all chips, no matter who makes them or how they get the extra power, is that they are post ECU and the ECU normally knows nothing about them. This means that the safety features built into the ECU cannot always function as designed.
I went with a Steinbauer chip, because at the time there was no real alternative, other than a power chip. Mine seems to work okay, but if I had my time again I would get the ECU remapped, opposed to getting a "performance chip".

If you are at all interested in the benefits of remapping the ECU, have a chat to Amesz00, as that is what he did on his FG84. First hand knowledge is always better than hearsay.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Steinbauer here too, as delivered all sorts of issues with DPF loading. I've turned it down to the minimum, still testing.

I'd love to get the ECU remapped, but not happening in the good old USA.

ETA: did 160 miles or so yesterday, off road and on road, no issues. Might be fixed for now.

Last edited:
Injector tweaking

For what it is worth I had just the injectors tweaked on my FG84 and the truck is noticably more responsive in every gear.

It does not help the top speed of course, for that I had the diff ratio changed.

But the injector tweaking was low cost and does not affect anything.

Amesz00

Adventurer
For what it is worth I had just the injectors tweaked on my FG84 and the truck is noticably more responsive in every gear.

It does not help the top speed of course, for that I had the diff ratio changed.

Can I ask what you had done to the injectors? And roughly what it cost?

I don't think you can remap the 649 being non common rail, but a unichip should be able to be done. Unichip is basically a step down from a remap, more of a piggyback computer than a power chip. far more complex and tuneable than any of the common power chips. That's what I was going for with mine until ufi said they could remap it.

fg4oz

Adventurer
Quick update: took our truck in to see a DP chip dealer and a quick test found a loose connection. Rejoined it and I now feel like I have a new truck. I knew I should have had a bit more oomph than i did. Now to the exhaust upgrade.

boostin

Adventurer

Care to expand on this, very interested

Can I ask what you had done to the injectors? And roughly what it cost?

Care to expand on this, very interested

Sorry for delayed reply and I should have been a bit more clear. Although the dealership refers to it as injector tweaking it really is just changing the setting on the fuel pump.

Too much of this could damage your engine of course so not recommended to do it yourself.

But the dealership over here in Cape Town accepts a certain amount of tweaking under the factory warranty by a reputable contractor.

So I am afraid I do not have much to share. Perhaps inquire at your local dealer??

All I can report is that it made a noticeable difference in the FG84's response in every gear. And it really did not cost much at all.

gait

Explorer
the "injector tweak" possibly makes a difference between, say, Cape Town and Jo'burg, at different altitudes.

fg4oz

Adventurer
Just driven from Brisbane to Rainbow beach and what a difference. Holding gear well up hills. Truck is fully loaded with water and diesel. Seems much better on fuel consumption too.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Reading through this thread with interest, so does this mean that a dpf delete is possible with a new fg (in the USA)? Still in the planning stages but this would be good news.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
To add to this... in the newer models, each piece of the anti-pollution equipment is more tightly integrated with each other, unlike the older models where is was more like an "add on".
In the FG84/FG140 using a blanking plate for the EGR does not create any ECU alarms/errors, but doing a DPF delete on the newer models, although technically possible, is definitely not a simple task. There is a thread somewhere on this forum that details the issues one user had when he had the ECU modified for a DPF delete - basically, he had a lot of problems as well as a much lighter wallet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles