Performance chip

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thanks Owen, in my looking around for a suitable truck i noticed here in the USA a DPF delete kit is available "for offroad use" for the Ford and Dodge full sized pickups (utes). Not my first choice but makes sense since they are vastly more popular here than the Fuso. This really seems to be a juggling act trying to meet at least some of our "requirements".

DLH62C (sorry don't know your name), thanks for the link. I had seen that but it was an Australian company, just was wondering if there was any USA based companies considering the Ford/Dodge deletes I mentioned above. As far as planning the trip, well we are 6 years into a 7 year sailing circumnavigation. One more ocean to cross (Atlantic) this coming winter to close the loop. After all this water we want to try the same thing but on land and have spent considerable time planning this. Just need to finish up this sailing and find the right RV.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Just need to finish up this sailing and find the right RV.

I sometimes wonder if I were based in the US if I would go down the Fuso route.
All of our FG models have a manual gearbox and low range (with the exception of the first release of the FGB71, that had no low range) and none are configured for low sulphur diesel.
From what I have seen, the emissions gear on the US models is far more invasive and problematic than what we have to deal with. Unless you can get an earlier FG140 model I think you will be severely hampered doing any real remote travel.

dlh62c

Explorer
From what I have seen, the emissions gear on the US models is far more invasive and problematic than what we have to deal with.

Trucks produced after 08.2013 are more stable. Mitsubishi added a second NOx Sensor upstream of the DPF, a NH3 Ammonia Sensor downstream of the SCR along with a couple of new sensors on the Urea tank.

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
DLH62C (sorry don't know your name), thanks for the link. I had seen that but it was an Australian company, just was wondering if there was any USA based companies considering the Ford/Dodge deletes I mentioned above. As far as planning the trip, well we are 6 years into a 7 year sailing circumnavigation. One more ocean to cross (Atlantic) this coming winter to close the loop. After all this water we want to try the same thing but on land and have spent considerable time planning this. Just need to finish up this sailing and find the right RV.

As I said, you'd be better off spending your time and money trying to figure out a way to travel the world with one.

If I were to travel the world today with a DPF equipped vehicle, I'd try and source a DPF assembly that was serviceable. There are companies out there that make them. What does them in, is ash build up from the combustion process. Its important to use oil that meets low ash specification CJ-4.

I assisted a Swiss couple via FB stranded in Mexico derailed with a plugged DPF on a Defender. When the DPF was cut open it was packed full of ash. When asked what oil he was using, his response was , "Good quality, top, top". He didn't know if the oils he had been using ever met low ash specification or not.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thanks again, i see what you mean "figure out a way to travel the world with one". In some of the areas we have sailed to the only available fuel looked like weak coffee. Not sure I would want to run that through a truck with that kind of emission equipment. Guess when we return we will either get lucky and find a pre DPF Fuso that is not too beat or go down the Ford/Dodge route (with a DPF delete), or maybe we should just keep sailing and head to Australia again ;-), the South Pacific was our favorite...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke