Gear41's Gen 3 Montero Build

gear41

I've been meaning to post a build thread for a while now, so here goes.

Some Background:
I bought the 2004 Montero last October with 81,000 miles on it. I immediately had the timing belt and water pump done, along with flushing & replacing all fluids. Drove it around off-roading and camping completely stock with some pretty terrible tires for around 6 months, and just recently started to light all of my money on fire.

Overall Build Plan (No particular order):

• Tires DONE - BF Goodrich KO2 265/75/r16
  • RhinoRack Roof Rack DONE - Pioneer platform and track system replacing the factory rails. Note: I originally had the 84x56in size installed but it hung over the sides a lot. I switched to the 84x49in and it's pretty flush with the width of the roof.
  • Foxwing Awning DONE
  • Lift
  • Steel Wheels (maybe?)
  • Skid plates & Rock Sliders
  • ARB Bull Bar
  • Rear Recovery Point (Probably adding a rear hitch receiver, but open to any ideas)
  • Dual battery System
  • Fridge
  • Auxiliary water (probably will install where 3rd row seat use to be)
  • Additional Lighting
  • Sleeping Platform or Drawer System Build
  • Ham Radio (using a handheld for now. Kenwood TM-C71A purchased but not installed)
  • CB Radio (Purchased, but not installed)
  • Snorkel
  • Various Roof Rack Accessories (hi-lift & shovel holder, maxtrax holder, jerry can holders, etc)

Below are some various pictures starting with the oldest:

CW3Tapv.jpg

Completely Stock

5W1R89C.jpg

New tires, factory rails removed, and rhinorack track system installed (platform was backorder for a few weeks).

FnvsMwC.jpg

Campsite with some fresh rain. Larger (84x56in platform on at this point

sklhcrx.jpg

Another camp spot. Here you can see how much the 84x56in pioneer platform hung off the sides

v8fKaTY.jpg

New platform (85x49in) installed + Foxwing awning. Big shout out to Road Warrior Racks in Broomfield, CO for all their work and switching out the platform sizes painlessly.

Xhag5WH.jpg

Setting up camp with foxwing awning deployed

I will continue to post new pictures and updates as the build progresses.

Last edited:

gear41

Nice build...I like the roof rack.

Thanks, Rod!

Great set up!
Can you show a few pics of the attachment point where the rack contacts the roof?

Thanks, and I'll try and snap a few photos of where the rack connects to the roof when I get home tonight. Basically, what they did to install was remove the factory rails and then install a track system that sits flush in the gutter on the roof. Here's a link to the track system: http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/roof/roof-racks/pioneer-platform/rts-tracks_rts01

gear41

Offroadmuch, as requested, here are a few shots of of how the rack connects to the roof:

i8ULxEY.jpg

Tower. There are three of these on each side of the roof that connect the rack to the track system

Lzu9qyY.jpg

Front of track system

WSSJjJK.jpg

Rear of Track system

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Great system. Looks like it would be rated for more weight that the factory original. Rhino did some good engineering on that.

gear41

Are the track universal or specific to the montero?
I believe they're specific by vehicle. On the rhino rack site you can search by vehicle, and with the montero there is an option to choose "with factory roof rails" or "without factory roof rails". Chossing without will bring up products that include the track system.

Great system. Looks like it would be rated for more weight that the factory original. Rhino did some good engineering on that.
From my memory, I believe it doubles it. I think the factory rails are rated at 100 lbs, and the rhino rack brings that to 200 lbs according to their site. I'm not positive, but it's my understanding that both of these weights are "moving" weights and they can hold more weight when parked.

gear41

Looking good! I started building my 05 Limited myself. Where about are you in CO? I'm up in Woodland Park.

Thanks! I'm in Denver. Funnily enough that last picture in my original post was near Florissant, which appears to be somewhat near Woodland Park.

KyleT

Explorer
Looks good. I was just in woodland park last Friday. Beautiful this time of year. Saw a couple gen 2's but no gen 3's. Saw a dozen discoveries though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier