Any reasons to avoid 1st gen transit connect

Flagster

Expedition Leader
We are looking for a city size van to supplement our sprinter... basically a cargo build with storage/fridge and slide outs to haul our bikes around town...weekend adventures where we don't need a full size van.
The early transit connects can be had for cheap here in AZ...they don't stick out in the city...
Any real world advice would be helpful. I know the transmission was upgraded to 6 speed for the current generation but we won't be doing much highway travelling...basically just running around Tucson and back and forth to Flagstaff here and there...

lqhikers

Adventurer
ford transit tc

Flagster,
We had a 2013 ford transit loved it for what it was.
No problems as long as we had it, great mpg.

I have a build posted on this site some where.

Only thing that was a bother was the trans searching for gears
in hills etc.we lived with it and got kinda used to it.

As it was bought as a toy project to convert to week end camper
i have to admit we are more than happy that we now have a new camper toy,2017 full size transit
converted to camper.

Les,lqhikers

Attachments

• P1020466.jpg
    P1020466.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 14
  • P1020465.jpg
    P1020465.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

zerskier

Observer
I think a first gen connect would fit your needs just fine. I recently sold my 2010 connect to fund the next adventure. My take of the little transit was, I loved the ease of getting in and out. It drove like a car and the size was great for solo travel. The down side was like lqhikers said the transmission searching for gears takes getting use to. Loaded with camping gear and a roof rack with a 2500 awning my MPG went down a lot at freeway speeds or mountain passes. I actually had the tranny go into limp mode trying to get over Teton Pass. I miss the connect but for a couple less MPG my lifted 4wd astro van better fits my needs.
IMG_6547.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles