Where should I put dual jerry cans on the roof rack?

jeegro

Adventurer
I have a D2. I picked up 2 wavian 20L cans and the front runner mount.

My setup:

Rack: Front runner slimline 2. 45L water tank in the rear right.

Car: rear right 2 seats removed. Dual batteries front right. Steel front and rear bumpers. Front winch. Custom rear flooring (prob weighs ~60 pounds). Cargo area loaded with ~150-200 pounds.

I'm thinking front left of the rack. Yes, it's at the opposite end of the fuel port, but I'd probably use a long nylon hose and siphon anyway. Front right would be a bit more convenient for gas stations (same side as the fuel filler) but I feel like that's a lot of weight on the right side of the rack.

Thoughts?

zelatore

Explorer
Well, given half a choice I'd avoid putting fuel or water on the rack at all. That's the worst place to carry something so heavy. Not to mention it's more difficult to load and unload it way up there.

Not what you wanted to hear I know. But it really is best if you can avoid getting so top heavy both on road and off.

Jwestpro

Explorer
invest in a way to bumper mount the fuel... otherwise, it doesn't matter much left or right etc up top. I did put mine up top but ease of access was more important. such as how easy it is to either stand on a tire or on the rear bumper.

I find standing on the rear tires is a lot better than trying to stand in either door sill but the rear bumper is ideal. or you can do a two stage where you mount anywhere up front but climb up to move it to the rear, then climb down to retrieve it. I'm not into the siphoning thing. i lift mine to the gas port and hold it up using a proper spout and something to hold the flap out of the way if the filler tube has one.

some bumper swing out designs allow 2-3 jerry cans which is an ideal location for weight of course.

Exploder
If you must mount it to the rack, mount them at the rear. In the cab, centered about where the second row is would be best.

ar4me

Adventurer
Put them up on the rack empty, fuel them while mounted on top in the frontrunner mount (easy standing on the rear tire), have a siphon pump ($10-$20) to move fuel from jerry cans to fuel tank, take them down empty = no stress on your body, lifting full jerry cans :) To facilitate that I would mount them to the rear on the side of the fuel filler. Though, I have mine at the rear opposite the fuel filler, and above still works.

jeegro

Adventurer
Yeah I know the rack is not the best place for either fuel or water. I can feel the water up there, and it definitely got beat up on the trail a bit last weekend with low hanging trees. Long term goal is a fitted water tank to go near the frame rails. I won't have the cans up there unless I know I'll absolutely need them on a longer trip. With 11 MPG, and a 24 gal factory tank... my range is a little limited at the moment.

For the fuel... a bumper swing out would be ideal, yes. Is there some sort of universal weld-on swing out for jerry cans only? My google searches are coming up short.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
The nanny comments aside, CT ran 4-6 jerry cans on the roof, plus pelican cases, hilift, sand plates and a litany of other things, with high roll cages and a butt load of steel rack. They only flipped a few times.

Put it on the passenger side, or the least loaded side for balance (I think a DII tank is at the rear like the D1?), middle of rack is better as someone suggested. Make your own super siphon that is cut to length so you can fuel the tank from just sitting the cans up on the roof.

jeegro

Adventurer
I ended up putting them right next to the water tank. So, rear / right third ish. Looks nice and clean there as they're about the same size as the water tank. I have limited space in my apartment so my plan is to keep them up on the rack permanently, empty, and locked. Then, when I go on a trip, fill them up. If I don't end up using the gas, I'll use a siphon to fill up my tank at home so I'm back to empty and don't have stale gas sitting around.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I had the FR fuel can holder mounted on the FR rack on my LR3 in the center over the second row seats and the 2 Septor water cans in a Baja Rack holder mounted on the passenger side next to them. There is a noticeable weight issue.
Then I fabricated a fuel can mount to place them horizontally on the roof rack in the center and got two water bricks to keep the water down low behind the front seats. I am trying to locate heavier items lower. Lifting petrol cans onto the RR is a real pain so I only use them for extended trips far from civilization. I do have a Tactical 4X rear bumper with tire swing away carrier but did not opt for the fuel can holder with the bumper. Perhaps I should have.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I forgot for moment the D2 doesn't really need a different rear bumper just to relocate the tire and therefor isn't really such a great upgrade as it is on an lr3/4.

Do you have higher rated springs for the load you're describing? You didn't mention that did you?

Sometime if you're really into having more fuel range, there are a couple options for additional fuel tanks under the floor. You could double it's capacity and the weight would be in the best place possible.

kcabpilot

Observer
I mounted mine right front and made a skinny ladder that mounts to the rack to use when filling them. As mentioned earlier you're not going to be lifting full Jerry cans up there in fact most of the time they are going to be empty. You're only going to put fuel in them when you are going on a long trail run with no available fuel and the minute you have used 20 liters from your main tank you are going to siphon them into it. In some cases that might even be before you make it to the trail head?

Last edited:

jeegro

Adventurer
I forgot for moment the D2 doesn't really need a different rear bumper just to relocate the tire and therefor isn't really such a great upgrade as it is on an lr3/4.

Do you have higher rated springs for the load you're describing? You didn't mention that did you?

Sometime if you're really into having more fuel range, there are a couple options for additional fuel tanks under the floor. You could double it's capacity and the weight would be in the best place possible.

I have Terrafirma HD springs. The only heavier duty ones that I know of are the RTE springs that I may try out in the future. So far so good with the TF's.

What are these under the floor fuel tank options?

MLu

Adventurer
(let's see if this photo posting thing works...[EDIT: yea, let's try that again...])

I mounted mine on the ladder with some wingnuts so you can get it out of the way quick. The weight rests on the ladder, not the nuts. Not ideal either, but frankly it's empty just about all the time, so not a real strain on the door.

20170827_105137.jpg

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
Unfortunately, the picture didn't work. At least for me.

I have friends who run fuel cans on the roof rack. It works for them. Of course, I've seen them have clearance problems from time to time too. I can think of a couple instances just this year where something has been damaged by a (not so) low hanging branch. Be careful if you go this route - you'll be waaay up there!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have cans on my roof. I think mounting in the center of the rack over the axle would work out.
I use a super siphon and fuel up quickly and no mess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior