Where should I put dual jerry cans on the roof rack?

Chili

Explorer
I ended up putting them right next to the water tank. So, rear / right third ish. Looks nice and clean there as they're about the same size as the water tank. I have limited space in my apartment so my plan is to keep them up on the rack permanently, empty, and locked. Then, when I go on a trip, fill them up. If I don't end up using the gas, I'll use a siphon to fill up my tank at home so I'm back to empty and don't have stale gas sitting around.

One other recommendation I have seen for roof mounted cans is to top off your vehicle tank with the rooftop fuel as soon as there is room. Don't wait until you are close to empty, just wait until you are down enough to accept the can contents. That way the weight is only up top when absolutely necessary. Basically adding to ar4me's post.

I do not have a mount for mine yet, but have considered the roof since I am ditching the trailer and don't have any other place for them on the Jeep

ze_zaskar

Observer
Just my 2c.

I feel like there used to be a quite liberal stance (excessive?) towards putting stuff in the roof rack, which then progressed to an "you can't possibly put that tuna can in the roof!! Rollover at first corner, guaranteed".

I've done 10s of thousands of km with 4 jerry cans (80l) in the roof racks, together with some camping stuff, 2 large aluminum sand boards, my "lube box" (a aluminum box with engine and diff oils, grease, grease gun, etc) and sometimes an hi-lift. I made a Camel Trophy inspired cradle for the jerry cans, they stay stable with just a strap:
5TfhPtT.jpg

Yes, you can feel that thing up there, but adapt your driving a bit and the weirdness passes.

Avoiding to put heavy stuff in the roof is an absolutely great rule of thumb. But check what experienced overlanders have been doing for years and you might be surprised with what they carry

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
I have Terrafirma HD springs. The only heavier duty ones that I know of are the RTE springs that I may try out in the future. So far so good with the TF's.

What are these under the floor fuel tank options?

Sounds good to me. I like the big racks on the D110 as seen above. I sometimes carry a lot on the roof but am glad that now it's usually only the roof tent and chainsaw case plus of course the awnings attached to the side and rear.

I think the difference for me now using the air suspended LR3, while it levels out and beautifully handles the weight for travel, you're also stuck with the more swaying feel of air struts.

Anyway, the two tank sources are long Ranger http://thelongranger.com.au/#

and long range automotive: https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/

I can't actually recall which one made mine in the LR3 or which makes the disco 2 options but I did find a few different approaches in design digging further. Possibly a third company does under sill tubes but that looked less vehicle soecific/turn key/bolt on. These two have designs made to bolt right in to correct body and frame shapes from what I can tell.

kcabpilot

Observer
It seems there are a lot of people that are 100% against putting anything on the roof and I think alot of that is based on perception rather than experience. I originally bought a Voyager rack (US built SD clone) simply because I thought they looked cool but after installing it I figured I may as well get a roof tent, then an extra spare and a couple of jerry cans to fill the space up front and what the heck might as well lash the chainsaw up there too since I now have the aerodynamic profile of the fat side of a barn anyway. Other than a marked reduction in highway fuel economy I never really noticed any detrimental handling effects though my truck does have ACE and I'm sure that makes a big difference. For me it has worked well on a number of lengthy excursions.

kc5r38l0r395L6KwtKMp7caCAdNfh_GH8fWk_qlZkS-xlCdUs0O3QXlo3bfynV2YSz6bHlEgIGStQUiK5XEOzhOGDGY6FweaneAUlvoEjqlgPLY-3aMTlnqxHsYL8Du7cf-sVVyVyfqSymPFbTIJF7Dnq4So4cUeRUICFAsL13_hifv7leHLUF0c2ugZPG2gy-AxAMOGbBFqHq7WFmh6TkEcaSGdG15HvKkQ3qsy5KpO1LPBf1Kf_L_nHs1Y5_z_KSuUrUMceam55pqepzyoGr85sZNmxuxwHS-fOeK_7Pe_O3M9BzGzOGw6_yKrTJMOZ8_UQmL1AXkdy4-jg3LHYdn9TTQwtxgDrProfR1s-tHF9tdugaB30QNkcy14gJaFCObIns1jRe7LKFbJ3pR5Y92ZgPi-FztOg30dg2HrsXDa8mp608nxgKiKlV5D14Ii6msj3efuuuPQkscuWyvRxYcuEy20l66rqRh4HEcEzuTETAf8UgQCW7KIsNmgpTuCBhXO2xg4DeVp_ouMz96aWbASrWmtU3XbTfaKS_gb8iUNvkZ5hCe7DAkNzKUyimZ6uEdGR7lrbrSgbSKyehggWpE7Sg4YXdS4jxA0F34yyzAFV_lVaDiQwg=w1591-h895-no

kcabpilot

Observer
That roof looks ridiculous.

White Rim Trail was a 100 mile loop but because the Green River was flooded at the western end it was 200 miles out and back plus 60 miles round trip from trailhead to nearest fuel so regardless of how it looked it worked.

Jwestpro

Explorer
White Rim Trail was a 100 mile loop but because the Green River was flooded at the western end it was 200 miles out and back plus 60 miles round trip from trailhead to nearest fuel so regardless of how it looked it worked.

That style rack is the right way to hyak heavy loads though. Thanks for the fun photo!

kcabpilot

Observer
Voyager makes a good rack, same style as old UK made Safety Devices rack. I agree it looks ridiculous but that starts when you mount a roof top tent up there which honestly, I was not completely sold on but it sure was nice out on the trail especially late afternoon when it was hot and all the flying bugs started coming out it was good to be able to pop it open and craw up into that sanctuary. So in the end it was worth looking silly for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior