Cummin's Dual Battery Questions

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I am going with dual alternators for the winch,compressor, and other electrical components that will be added throughout the build. The 2017 Ram has dual batteries and all my research shows two again for the 2018. I will be going with AEV wheels and 37's for tires after the suspension is installed, so I will have to relocate the spare. Thanks for the information guys please keep it coming.

My friend's Dodge Cummins has all your add on equipment and has had a single alternator for 10 years. It's tight in these engine bays even with the Cummins. He as I use AGM batteries. The grid heaters don't even fire up above 40* I believe. You'll like the wheels.

str8t six

as far as ive researched, there is not a company that makes a bigger fuel tank for a RCSB ram truck. the only solution i have found is either a aux tank in the bed or removing the spare tire. But i do think they make a bigger replacement fuel tank for a megacab.

cliniford

Observer
I'll throw in my 2 cents here since I've owned my Dodge for 9+ years.
No glow plugs. These Cummins will start pretty much in any weather. My grid heater has been deleted for several years now with no starting issues. They do in fact need both batteries. I fabbed up a bracket similar to an ambulance setup that hooks over the frame rail under the bed to hold a 3rd battery. Really don't need a 2nd alternator. Mine is the CCLB and have had zero issues off-road with its size. 35" spare will fit in stock location but it's tight and you wouldn't get anything bigger in there and that's with mine having 5" exhaust tucked up there too. I can keep going but it's bedtime. Let me know if you are looking for anymore information I may be able to help with.

D45

Explorer
I ran a ton of accessories also on my old 2004 Dodge Ram 3500........never had an issue

1000W stereo, winch, 4 extra lights, LED bar, bed lights, etc

This was all done on a stock alternator (136A) and stock batteries.........even with 125,000 miles on the truck and when I sold it was 11 years old, still had the factory alternator and the factory batteries

My truck also had the grid heater delete, started without issue...........and I rarely plugged in the block heater

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke